• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about a stolen firearm

Dieselcrawler

I know of a firearm that I have heard rumors about, that it might be stolen. I also do not wish to incriminate anyone or insert myself into the situation by asking questions. Is there anyway to check the backround of a firearm, to find out if it is 'clean'? It's not my place to be confronting anyone, nor do I have any proof of anything illegel, just want to find out. Any input?

davidmcbeth

Banned
generally, only the police have access to these databases of stolen guns reported.

and as far as finding out who last bought the gun? even the police can have issues finding this information out on occasions .. the manufacturer sells to distributor, distributor to dealer, dealer to retail purchaser, retail purchaser to anyone else on occasion....

The dealer to retail purchaser, the ser # is recorded on the ATF form, but this is kept by the ffl (until he closes his business) .. so the PD has a few contacts to make & may or may not find out who the last legal owner was...

If reported stolen, then the PDs keep a record of this...and I doubt people who own their guns keeps a list of ser #s lying around.

There are websites that claim they can examine via ser # but I have my doubts

mwaterous

If you have concerns about a purchase you are looking to make, just don't make it. There is absolutely no shortage of reputable ways to acquire a firearm, not only through FFLs and the silly Brady Act, but through private sale as well.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

If the gun is reported stolen with the ser# then it is in NCIC database. Just have the numbers run with the LEA before purchasing it. Or just pass on it if you believe it is stolen. If you are in possession of it then that is kinda sticky, and you can be charged if the numbers get run for some reason. If it is indeed you with the gun you might want to seek counsel before deciding what to do. An attorney can do the checks without disclosing your information.

Dieselcrawler

I am not in posession of said firearm, I have used it, have heard rumors about it, but have no proof, only rumors. In short, it's none of my business at the moment, and I don't want to cause un-due issues if none exist. However, I will pass on any futher offers to use this gun untill I am more certine of it's backround, the last thing I need is to be in the woods with an (unknown to me) stolen gun. And I don't want to go running my mouth, questioning the person who has it about it being stolen. Not my place at this point. An old friend of mine is in law enforcement, I haven't spoke to them for a long time, but might see if they would be willing to do an un-official check on the numbers I have.

WalkingWolf

I am not in posession of said firearm, I have used it, have heard rumors about it, but have no proof, only rumors. In short, it's none of my business at the moment, and I don't want to cause un-due issues if none exist. However, I will pass on any futher offers to use this gun untill I am more certine of it's backround, the last thing I need is to be in the woods with an (unknown to me) stolen gun. And I don't want to go running my mouth, questioning the person who has it about it being stolen. Not my place at this point. An old friend of mine is in law enforcement, I haven't spoke to them for a long time, but might see if they would be willing to do an un-official check on the numbers I have.

The problem with NCIC a hit is a hit, both departments are notified when a hit happens. That means the originating agency, and the agency making the request. So their is no unofficial, somebody will have some splaining to do if it is a hit. IMO you should stay as far away from this firearm as possible.

twoskinsonemanns

and I doubt people who own their guns keeps a list of ser #s lying around.

Maybe not lying around...:D

But everyone should certainly have a record.
I keep pics of each of my guns (and close ups of serials) on unmarked media separate from my PCs. In case someone is able to steal them.

hermannr

The Oregon State Police have an 800 number to call if you want to check a SN. I don't know if it works outside OR, or is only for OR, or not, but I do know that the OSP is the only LEA that will run a check without having the weapon in question, in their hands.

The phone number is 1-800-432-5059 or online at: https://xn.osp.state.or.us/Fics/

If the number does cme back as stolen they are required to sieze the weapon, if it is not in hand.

Oh, one other thing, if it comes back clean...it can still be stolen, but not reported as stolen...yet...but a record of checking would sure cover your backside.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Maybe not lying around...:D

But everyone should certainly have a record.
I keep pics of each of my guns (and close ups of serials) on unmarked media separate from my PCs. In case someone is able to steal them.

I don't keep records of my firearms ... nothing. I would think that if a gun was lost/stolen then you be asked at trial "why do you not inventory your guns routinely and discovered the gun was missing, because you have documents regarding all your guns, right?" .... me I would answer "I don't have any lists, receipts, or other documents in respect to the many guns I own so I forgot I even owned the gun"

twoskinsonemanns

I don't keep records of my firearms ... nothing. I would think that if a gun was lost/stolen then you be asked at trial "why do you not inventory your guns routinely and discovered the gun was missing, because you have documents regarding all your guns, right?" .... me I would answer "I don't have any lists, receipts, or other documents in respect to the many guns I own so I forgot I even owned the gun"

Hey to each his own. If I have a gun stolen I will report it. If your stolen gun is used in a crime and you are charged for the crime, "I forgot I even owned the gun" would not be my choice defense. Perhaps a copy of the police report of the gun being stolen is better.

One other thing. I had a friend at work who eventually got his gun back that was stolen. (I know this is hearsay but I consider it reliable) It took many months, even after he was contacted by the cops and told his gun was found, to get it back but he did get it back. Never would have happened without a record.