• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm in a state university dorm????

o3rugby1

Can an 18 year old (female. And i know it doesnt matter) student at a public university (morehead) posses a (legal) shotgun in her on campus dorm room?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would go into the president's office and ask what type of device you can have for personal defense against someone wielding a gun..

Rusty Young Man

Can an 18 year old (female. And i know it doesnt matter) student at a public university (morehead) posses a (legal) shotgun in her on campus dorm room?

Short answer: No
Longer answer: When you are a student, university policy trumps your God-given right to effective and reasonable self-defense on university property.:banghead::cuss::banghead:

The best advice I can give is to look at the policy handbook. If something (baseball bat, pepper spray, stun gun) is not prohibited, you may be able to mount a good defense should someone get uppity about you possessing it. In my case, a school organization hands out pepper spray, so I have been known to go in for one, then end up giving it to another student that would do well by having it, and repeat.:) My way of slightly disempowering any would-be criminals.:D

--greetings from Arizona, from a 20 year old (male, though my gender is irrelevant) student at a state university (U of A) who does not live in the campus dorms for the OP reasons.

bunnspecial

As far as I know there are no laws against possession in a college dorm room, however Kentucky schools are given the freedom to set their own policy on such things and I don't know of any school in Kentucky which allows the possession of guns on campus.

Many schools have policies prohibiting possession even in private vehicles parked on campus, however under Mitchell v. UK, these policies can't be enforced.

As I said I don't believe that it is illegal to have a shotgun in your dorm room, however the likely consequence of being caught with one is that you would be suspended or expelled.

09jisaac

It is not illegal.

It is (probably) against the rules.

I would suggest a handgun in a lock box, or something else that could be used as a weapon such as a baseball bat or golf club.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Unless your school requires you to live in the dorm, it's far easier to live in an apartment. Dorms are probably the worst idea, ever.

I'll second that. Right from the start, I decided not to live in the dorms. Cramped quarters, lack of privacy, community showers and bathrooms, reduced freedoms, enforced curfew, and exorbitant costs. Not for me. Off-campus apartments are very accomodating to university students, and the rent is almost always cheaper for the same room size, with added amenities. The money you save could be put to better use. Make a "rainy day fund" and a "fun fund":cool:

Last edited:

09jisaac

How do I figure?

Some schools require freshmen to live on campus.

It is easy to get a school scholarship, I know of none that will pay rent and utilities.

It is easy to get money to pay for dorms, it is not so easy to pay rent.

Do you need a car to go to class from a dorm? Usually not. Are most apartments within biking distance of a school unoccupied? NOPE.

Do you need to have acceptable credit to live in a dorm? No. Apartment? Yes.

You pay a lot to live in a dorm, but it is still usually less than the cost of living off campus.

Last edited:

o3rugby1

This case involves a freshman at morehead that is Required to live in a Dorm. (No dorm = No school)

Rusty Young Man

This case involves a freshman at morehead that is Required to live in a Dorm. (No dorm = No school)

Sorry to hear that :( (because it is forcing you to be unarmed 100% of class days). I'll stick to what I said in my earlier post: read the policy book, see if you can find a school club giving away pepper spray (if not, you could still carry provided it's not prohibited, and some would argue that even then...:confused:)
Another thing I forgot to say at that point: learn some basic self-defense techniques (assuming you don't already know some) and practice them. I'm not talking about the fancy fighting you see in movies, just something effective like Krav Maga (its popularity is making it ubiquitous on campuses) or Systema.
This is the same advice I've given to other girls AND ~180 lbs males, so it's not gender that prompts me to say it.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Rusty Young Man

Re:Basic Self-Defense

Like shooting ... wait, dag-nab-it ! Wear some body armor ...

I agree that firearm proficiency and carrying of said firearm would be best (LOUDER than a rape whistle, MORE STOPPING POWER than a stun gun, LONGER RANGE than pepper spray), but the OP seems unable to carry on campus without breaking university policy (grounds for expulsion, at the very least), and carrying in a backpack or purse may qualify as "Concealed", which I would venture to say is also prohibited for the OP (and even myself, for a few more months; I'm glad I live in Arizona:banana:).
I could advise the OP to carry a firearm, but if she is caught with the firearm, it won't be members of this forum that decide what course of action to take. So I am only providing alternatives to the BEST solution: a firearm operated by a proficient user.
So I guess I should clarify: learn some unarmed self-defense techniques. I know people say "Never bring a knife to a gunfight", but I don't see the drawbacks of bringing both a knife AND a gun to a gunfight; the former is a back-up of sorts (it's also meant to illustrate here:rolleyes:; I know the advantages of a BUG, but I would argue that a knife still has a role in self-defense/everyday use, so maybe bring a gun, a BUG, AND a knife to a gunfight). You never know when a well-learned disarm technique or such could buy you the time you need to draw your weapon (assuming you haven't drawn already:))
Here's an example of what I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1y7VZ9BQxY

Last edited:

ps1mhd

Courts have ruled that you can't band firearms in government housing.
Most people go to state (government) colleges.
Could we use this ruling for dorms?

Mike