• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns & Ammo editorial calling for gun control

willy1094

Didn't know if anyone else read about this. What do you all think about the column (a link to a pdf is in the news article)? I understand the idea of wanting people to be responsible. I don't like or agree with the author's examples used for the regulation of the freedom of speech and freedom of assembly. That is because in the examples you are using a speech to insight fear/panic or you are infringing on another person's rights. This also seemed to me to be the worst forum to attempt to make this argument.

ETA: Forgot to link the article...duh. http://news.yahoo.com/guns-ammo-editorial-controversy-203042117.html

Last edited:

neuroblades

Yeah, I caught it. I was shocked by Dick Metcalf's slur against the Second Amendment backslidden comments in the December issue! But Guns & Ammo was redeemed by the actions of Jim Bequette, the previous editor when he offered his personal apology to all G&A readers far and wide for Metcalf's inane ramblings and then fired him! As if that wasn't enough Jim Bequette, who had been looking to retire at the first of January, announced that he would be moving that date up and immediately retiring and placing Eric Poole as the new editor of Guns & Ammo.

I have a lot more respect now for Guns & Ammo than I ever have. Great handling of the issue Jim. I hate to see you go.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...guns-ammo-fires-dick-metcalf-for-2a-betrayal/

willy1094

Yeah, I caught it. I was shocked by Dick Metcalf's slur against the Second Amendment backslidden comments in the December issue! But Guns & Ammo was redeemed by the actions of Jim Bequette, the previous editor when he offered his personal apology to all G&A readers far and wide for Metcalf's inane ramblings and then fired him! As if that wasn't enough Jim Bequette, who had been looking to retire at the first of January, announced that he would be moving that date up and immediately retiring and placing Eric Poole as the new editor of Guns & Ammo.

I have a lot more respect now for Guns & Ammo than I ever have. Great handling of the issue Jim. I hate to see you go.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...guns-ammo-fires-dick-metcalf-for-2a-betrayal/

I figured he would catch heat. There seemed like a lot of people in the comments (beyond those cited in the article) that threatened or did cancel their subscriptions. I can't believe that 1) he would have the Bawlz to write it and 2) G&A published it (though I admit I know NOTHING of how the articles are approved). Not to say they wouldn't have, but firing him was probably the only move they had.

OC for ME

catch heat? Pariah is a better word. I suspect that Mr. Metcalf's career as a "gun guy" has come to a abrupt end. Liberals with guns are still liberals.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Or someone else.

Then they would pay a penalty ...

unless they do injure someone, who cares from a legal perspective.

Nanny state.

That's why the unlawful requirement to attend a NRA safety class prior to getting a permit is abundant in our society.

Its retarded ....