• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bianchi Holsters

Virginian683

imported post

Does anybody use a Bianchi holster for open carry? I bought a nylon one which i liked, before I realized it was made for a 2'' belt and I couldn't use it. I'm considering one of the leather ones now, specifically the "thumbsnap" and "carrylok."

IanB

imported post

I highly recommend Blackhawk CQC holsters. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

swatpro911

imported post

if you want strong reliable without thumb break but still locks it in place as soon as you reholster your gun then go for Blackhawk CQC with serpa holster. They are very sweet and tactical and the best there is. :)

xdfan

imported post

I have two favorite OWB holsters right now: a Bianchi 7001 and Blackhawk CQC Serpa. Gun is an XD-40 service model (4" barrel). Links:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=7001

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105

The CQC holster is very nice and the paddle platform takes quite a bit of effort to get the thing off my belt and pants (a good thing).

Both are good holsters! The (AccuMold) Bianchi is probably among the lowest-profile and lightest holsters one can get. I'm just about to start OCing and plan to use the Bianchi, since I feel it will call less attention to itself.

BTW, I just picked up one of Blackhawk's pistol belts and love it. A sturdy belt is important to well secure any OWB holster/gun combination.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4103

IanB

imported post

My bad, I meant to include "serpa" in my above statement. Since your gun (Glock 19) fits the level 3 holster I would go with that one. I wish they made that for what I have! I have the level 2 serpa holster.

Virginian683

imported post

xdfan wrote:
Both are good holsters! The (AccuMold) Bianchi is probably among the lowest-profile and lightest holsters one can get. I'm just about to start OCing and plan to use the Bianchi, since I feel it will call less attention to itself.

I have to admit I am not naturally attracted to themolded plastictype holsters. For one thing I imagine it scratches the finish on the gun, and like you said they are more prominent.

If they cost the same as leather for example,what specifically about the Blackhawk Serpa holsters makes them better? Thanks.

Also I'm not sure I see the difference between level 1 and level 2.

xdfan

imported post

You're going to get wear with *any* holster, so other than a material that's outright abrasive it may be nothing you can prevent. Also, the AccuMold holsters are not molded plastic. Ballistic woven nylon on the outside and something else on the inside that's supposed to be easy on the gun.

As an instructor once described to my class, the holster retention 'level' refers to the number of things you have to do in order to end up with your gun at the ready:

Level 1 - just draw (no added retention mechanisms)

Level 2 - do 'one extra thing' and draw. For the SERPA holster, that's press in on the release lever just prior to drawing. People seem to like it because a properly positioned index finger is already on the lever. A thumb snap holster also qualifies.

Level 3 - do two things and draw. CQC's level 3 SERPA holster adds some kind of cover on the back of the gun. The cover has to be pushed and held out of the way as the SERPA 'button' is pressed and finally, gun drawn. Among level 3 retention systems I've read theirs is among the easiest to cope with, particularly for re-holstering.

jimwyant

imported post

I attend an annual event where I help to provide security, and my duty belt is a Bianchi with matching Accumold Vanguard (not leather) holsters - I love the setup.

For everyday OC, I use either a custom leather holster for my Ruger Alaskan (no major holster manufacturers make one off the shelf for that weapon:cuss:) or a Blackhawk SERPA holster for either my G20 or H&K USPc 45 Tactical. As for scratches, you're carrying a Glock - the finish they put on those things is as near to indestructible as anything out there. Do not let that be a concern for you.

If you switch to something else, like a Sig or H&K, you might have cause for concern, but with the Blackhawk, I doubt it. I haven't carried the H&K too long in the Blackhawk, but I have yet to notice any abnormal wear due to the holster. I am particularly careful to watch for it, since I ruined the finish on my USPc 40 by carrying it in a Fobus, and the CT cost well over $1K - I don't want to make the same mistake with that expensive of a weapon.

As to what makes the Blackhawk CQC SERPA better than leather priced the same, here is my opinion - it is only guaranteed to be worth what you paid for it.

First of all, the better leather holsters will cost quite a bit more than the Blackhawk. My Alaskan holster set me back almost $200, and my SERPAs cost less than $50 each. Leather holsters that you can buy for ~$50 are good (I have a huge box full of them) but they will not be the best quality items out there. They will likely be far superior to Fobus or a universal Uncle Mikes design, however.

The SERPA retention mechanism is not the standard thumb break, so it will be more of a challenge to be disarmed when carrying versus a traditional thumb strap. I've heard stories about folks having dealings with LEO's who wanted to disarm them while carrying in a SERPA, and they were nearly stripped and the weapon was still locked in place. Bianchi's carrylok feature increases the difficulty a bit, but I still think the SERPA is more effective in that department.

Another factor is the ease in reholstering. The Blackhawk does not collapse after the weapon is removed like (even molded) traditional leather holsters can, so all you have to do is find the general area and drop your weapon in place. As soon as you do, the weapon is secure. With thumb strap retention, it is necessary to take that extra step of snapping the strap to secure the weapon.

Virginian683

imported post

xdfan wrote:
Also, the AccuMold holsters are not molded plastic. Ballistic woven nylon on the outside and something else on the inside that's supposed to be easy on the gun.
Yes, that was the the first holster I got for it. I thought it was great...apart from the huge over 2 inch wide belt loop. The the only way to use it is if you wear a cop's utility belt. I thought a "duty holster" would be the best thing for open carry, since that's what they're made for, but evidently no company's "duty holsters" fit ordinary sized belts.

Virginian683

imported post

One more question about the Blackhawk Serpa holsters: what is the difference between the "carbon fiber finish" and the one without? Is it just a cosmetic thing on the outside or is it carbon fiber inside too?

xdfan

imported post

Seems I read both the matte and carbon fiber finish versions contain carbon fiber in their plastic... or something to that effect.

I don't really care. It's a solid holster on its own merits, including price. The dealer who sold the matte version to me at a gun show in Winston-Salem was of the opinion the carbon fiber finish version amounted to an expensive decal.

xdfan

imported post

Since you mention it, I carried in both my Bianchi and CQC holsters this past weekend.

The Bianchi worked well enough except as you say, on the 1-1/4" belt I was wearing (a Blackhawk pistol belt, incidentally), the holster tended to slide up a bit on the belt and tilt forward ten degrees or so.

Virginian683

imported post

xdfan wrote:
Since you mention it, I carried in both my Bianchi and CQC holsters this past weekend.

The Bianchi worked well enough except as you say, on the 1-1/4" belt I was wearing (a Blackhawk pistol belt, incidentally), the holster tended to slide up a bit on the belt and tilt forward ten degrees or so.
Yes that's exactly what mine did. I'm glad if it doesn't bother you though because otherwise it's nice.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are several leather Bianchi Holsters that are simple in design yet durable. I highly recommend them.

There are several leather Bianchi Holsters that are simple in design yet durable. I highly recommend them.

Welcome to OCDO.

We frown on necroposting. Like frowning on it a lot. Bringing a thread back to life after a few weeks - even if there has been a major update - is generally considered necroposting. Better to start a new thread and use a link back to the original thread to remind readers what was said before.

Necroposting with a link to a particular brand or supplier when the original thread indicates the original poster has pretty much resolved their search for something makes you look like a spammer. 1245A Defender thinks you are a spammer. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what else you do.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome to OCDO.
We frown on necroposting. Like frowning on it a lot. Bringing a thread back to life after a few weeks - even if there has been a major update - is generally considered necroposting. Better to start a new thread and use a link back to the original thread to remind readers what was said before.

Necroposting with a link to a particular brand or supplier when the original thread indicates the original poster has pretty much resolved their search for something makes you look like a spammer. 1245A Defender thinks you are a spammer. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what else you do.
stay safe.
Extreme necro posting such as this has always seemed to me like a strange place to post spam because few will ever see it; nevertheless it frequently is a tool of spammers.

In this case, the poster/user would seem directly connected (probably the same) to the commercial vendor linked. However, the Administrator has stated that where the product/service is of legitimate interest to this site and RKBA, it would not be disallowed. Accordingly, taking no action presuming that this will not be an on going, singular reason for posting.