• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just found out that Open Carry was legal...

Kupo

Well i Just found out today about this OC law and never heard of it. I currently have in my possesion a pistol, but its one of my great grandfathers ones from what I am guessing the civil war. [Lead balls + gunpowder and the little thing that shoves the ball down there] and that simply wont do. I was wondering what is the best/yet cheapest shooting range that I could go to near or in Williamsburg. I once went to a gun range near surry when I was younger and shot there. I know that i have been getting in trouble with the law lately, but I am starting to change that. I also am 18 [encase that matters] and also interested in becoming a LEO.

Kupo

Not sure why I wrote that but I mean Open carrying in general, my friends had no idea about this as well. But I have been to court before and again coming up soon, how would I know if I am able to OC? Im not on probation but my next charge might put me on it. [None of these charges are violence related]

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Not sure why I wrote that but I mean Open carrying in general, my friends had no idea about this as well. But I have been to court before and again coming up soon, how would I know if I am able to OC? Im not on probation but my next charge might put me on it. [None of these charges are violence related]

A person who answers "yes" to any of the below questions may be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm pursuant to state and/or federal law.

Are you under indictment for a felony offense?
Have you ever been convicted, as an adult, in any court of a felony offense?
If you are 28 years old or younger, have you ever been adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile 14 years of age or older at the time of offense of a delinquent act, which would be a felony if committed by an adult?
Were you adjudicated as a juvenile 14 years of age or older at the time of the offense of murder in violation of § 18.2-31 or 18.2-32, kidnapping in violation of § 18.2-47, robbery by the threat or presentation of firearms in violation of § 18.2-58, or rape in violation of § 18.2-61? (If adjudicated as a delinquent for these offenses, you must answer yes. You are ineligible regardless of you current age and prohibited for life unless allowed by restoration of rights by the Governor of Virginia and order of the circuit court in the jurisdiction in which you reside.)
Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime punishable by more than 2 years even if the maximum punishment was not received?
Is there an outstanding protective or restraining order against you from any court?
Is there an outstanding felony or misdemeanor warrant of arrest pending against you from any jurisdiction?
Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any controlled substance? The Federal Gun Control Act defines an addicted person, or unlawful user, as a person who has a conviction for use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year or persons found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided that the test was administered within the past year.
Have you ever been acquitted by reason of insanity?
Have you ever been adjudicated legally incompetent or mentally incapacitated, or adjudicated an incapacitated person?
Have you ever been involuntarily admitted to a facility or involuntarily ordered to outpatient mental health treatment?
Have you ever been the subject of a temporary detention order and subsequently agreed to voluntarily admission for mental health treatment?
Have you been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable discharge?
Are you an alien illegally in the United States?
Are you a nonimmigrant alien? A nonimmigrant alien is prohibited from receiving a firearm unless he or she falls within an exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition (e.g., hunting license/permit; waiver).
Are you a person who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced your citizenship?
Have you ever been convicted for the misdemeanor crime of domestic violence? This includes all misdemeanors that involve the use, threat of, or attempted use of physical force (e.g., simple assault, assault and battery) if the offense is committed by one of the following parties: a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.
Have you purchased a handgun from any source within the last 30 days? (Handgun Purchases Only) Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.2:2 (P) provides exceptions to the handgun purchase restriction.
Are you a person who, within a 36 consecutive month period, has been convicted, under Virginia law, of 2 misdemeanor offenses for Possession of Controlled Substance or Possession of Marijuana? (Handgun Purchases Only)
If you are denied the right to purchase a firearm because you have been convicted of a felony as described in Section 18.2-308.2 of the Code of Virginia, you may still be eligible to purchase a firearm if your rights have been restored under both state and federal law. Information pertaining to the restoration of firearm rights is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Denied.shtm.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I also am 18 [encase that matters] and also interested in becoming a LEO.

I believe there are age restrictions on purchasing a handgun. I cannot recall whether in VA an 18yr old can purchase a handgun. I believe federal law requires one must be 21 to buy from a gun store/licensed dealer. I'm foggy on whether an 18yr old can legally obtain a handgun in a private sale under state law.

Where's our walking encyclopedias on gun statutes who know exactly where to look?

MSC 45ACP

Kupo;

Welcome to OCDO. I live in the Yorktown area and have been a firearms instructor since 1987. I would be glad to take you to the range and teach you what I know about weapons, safety, marksmanship, carry methods for the "under 21 crowd", etc.

Send me a PM if you are interested. There is an indoor range (The Marksman) in Newport News not far from me. I don't mind meeting you there. You can rent a pistol and buy their ammo until you find something you want to carry. I can also help you with choosing a self-defense pistol that is reliable and won't break the bank.

Regards;

Mike

MSC 45ACP

Sorry Ed. I haven't gotten around to the NRA Instructor gig yet. I was just a simple military Small Arms Instructor for most of my career. Small Arms, Firearms, Weapons... Not politically correct words, just teach SAFETY FIRST, then marksmanship and the finer points of sight alignment, trigger squeeze, breathing, etc... No need to get into details or semantics.

Sorry to have used improper terminology. I'm still not completely up on all the politically correct wording. I'll try to remember I don't carry a WEAPON, its just a TOOL. :-D

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Sorry Ed. I haven't gotten around to the NRA Instructor gig yet. I was just a simple military Small Arms Instructor for most of my career. Small Arms, Firearms, Weapons... Not politically correct words, just teach SAFETY FIRST, then marksmanship and the finer points of sight alignment, trigger squeeze, breathing, etc... No need to get into details or semantics.

Sorry to have used improper terminology. I'm still not completely up on all the politically correct wording. I'll try to remember I don't carry a WEAPON, its just a TOOL. :-D
No apology needed. I said the "W" alot too since I was in the USMC. Then I started paying students $5 for catching me saying it and I stopped pretty soon. While people here will be on both sides of the fence regarding the word and it's use, the NRA gave me my certification so I do it their way. They did testing and have determined that the word WEAPON has negative connotations. If you find yourself in a defense shooting situation and you say I "drew my weapon" instead of replacing "weapon" with "pistol, revolver, Kimber, Glock, Sidearm, Firearm" you might alienate a juror that otherwise might have been on your side. True or not.. The odds are already against the shooter.. I will take any help I can get... even if it is a word chocie. It's kinda like teaching you to not cuss at a bad guy held at gunpoint. If you are like "Please sir... stay down until the police get here." instead of "If you MOVE MF!! I am gonna Blow yer F%%$%$ HEAD off!!!" I am told the first way will do alot better for me in court.

MSC 45ACP

Maybe its time to get off my posterior and get that NRA Cert. Your post really makes me think about how things will turn out for me when/if I'm ever in a "situation". I honestly don't worry about my marksmanship ability or my ability to "do the right thing". My biggest concern is the aftermath: My mouth will probably be what gets me in trouble. Come to think of it, that was my problem while I was "in", too... I was no stranger to the Green Felt tablecloth with the pitcher of ice water and glasses that no one drinks from that you most certainly NEED to drink for yourself.

Its been 5 years since I retired, and I'm STILL getting used to "civilian life". The language I use if the situation comes up will be crucial. Does anyone teach a class on "what to say and do when "IT" happens? That course would be invaluable to the folks that already have the other skills to come out of "IT" in one piece as the "victor", but do we know much about "What comes NEXT?" I, for one, do not. I'm probably screwed because I will most certainly use the language I was taught and not STFU when LE arrives on scene.

Thanks for the reminder, Ed. Check's in the mail. [Seriously, on the 1st... for cards... ;-) ]

ocholsteroc

Well i Just found out today about this OC law and never heard of it.

Welcome! and what law? :D I wouldn't OC a black powerd gun.

I know that i have been getting in trouble with the law lately,

Oh well you have to see a list, its like felons/violence/drugs and a few other things that prohibits you from carrying a firearm or owning one.

Last edited:

Kupo

It was a alcohol charge. And I might be interested in taking your offer. My dad has a CCW [I believe thats what you call a concealment license] and he would most likely "gift" me a gun since he has quite a few. But I am waiting until I get my license unsuspended before I really do anything like going to a range.

Dreamer

It's kinda like teaching you to not cuss at a bad guy held at gunpoint. If you are like "Please sir... stay down until the police get here." instead of "If you MOVE MF!! I am gonna Blow yer F%%$%$ HEAD off!!!" I am told the first way will do alot better for me in court.

Unless you're a cop...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evf59iCtoQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PnnUJ-OmeM

And in SOME states, I'm starting to think they actually teach them at the academy to use the most rude, obscene, and offensive language and attitude as they can possibly muster when in a "situation". At least that seems to be the case from many of the videos I've seen from MD, DC, NY, and CA...

Down here in NC (and in WV and VA, from my experience), most of the LEOs actually still say "excuse me", "Please", and address you with "sir" or "ma'am". LEOs must be going through a VERY different training program in the south...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Unless you're a cop...

And in SOME states, I'm starting to think they actually teach them at the academy to use the most rude, obscene, and offensive language and attitude as they can possibly muster when in a "situation". At least that seems to be the case from many of the videos I've seen from MD, DC, NY, and CA...

Down here in NC (and in WV and VA, from my experience), most of the LEOs actually still say "excuse me", "Please", and address you with "sir" or "ma'am". LEOs must be going through a VERY different training program in the south...

Its got nothing to do with academy training, its got to do with regional differences.

Having come from the north, it was not unusual to hear profanity on a regular basis. Its generally not directed at a specific person, but more in general terms as an adjective. If someone here were trying to describe the sky and an unusual color of blue, you might say baby blue, powder blue, sky blue, blue green, etc. Someone from the north for example, might say "The sky is some kind of F'ing blue". The F'ing denotes an unusual color for which I cannot readily identify. See, people up north do not view profanity with the same level of offensiveness that southerners do. A northerner might only get upset if a profane remark was directed at them directly, and even then they'd probably just flip you off the first time that you said it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unless you're a cop...

Its got nothing to do with academy training, its got to do with regional differences.

Having come from the north, it was not unusual to hear profanity on a regular basis. Its generally not directed at a specific person, but more in general terms as an adjective. If someone here were trying to describe the sky and an unusual color of blue, you might say baby blue, powder blue, sky blue, blue green, etc. Someone from the north for example, might say "The sky is some kind of F'ing blue". The F'ing denotes an unusual color for which I cannot readily identify. See, people up north do not view profanity with the same level of offensiveness that southerners do. A northerner might only get upset if a profane remark was directed at them directly, and even then they'd probably just flip you off the first time that you said it.

Maybe not a full class, but when I took ProShooter's Utah class (in MARYLAND, no less!!), he provided some really great information on how to handle "IT".

I agree that it is to some degree a regional thing, but it is very much also how the department/agency personnel are trained and what is expected of them.

Some departments DEMAND that their people speak and act courteously at all times. Leadership counts and there are those that do not dismiss the benefits of positive image and good public relations.

York County, Va. Sheriff J.D."Danny" Diggs comes to mind as a prime example.

Kupo

My main question is how do you open carry in a car. [As a driver, and a passenger].

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My main question is how do you open carry in a car. [As a driver, and a passenger].

Open carry in Va. is not any different on the street, in a vehicle or in a restaurant. It is NOT dependent on the position of the viewer or what stands between you. It is ALL about how you are carrying your handgun.

Point of fact, you could be laying down in the back seat of a SUV and still be OCing.