• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The City of Grand Rapids is Violating Preemption, as well...

aadvark

The City of Grand Rapids has Two Ordinances which are Statutorily Unenforceable under Michigan Codified Law MCL 123.1102.

Those Two Ordinances are: 9.173 AND 9.174.

The Ordinances can be Viewed here: http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12116&stateId=22&stateName=Michigan

As We Know..., in Michigan, NO License or Permit is Needed for Open Carry, and, Apparently, Grand Rapids Prohibits Open Carry under both of Those Illegal Ordinances so Citied.

The Remedy for This Problem could be as Simple as Adding to Sub-Section (5) of Grand Rapids Code 9.175 The Following Verbiage: ' ...Except as Provided for under Michigan Law...,', which; such Sub-Section Currently Stands Reserved.

Sheldon

GR is acting out, they have had several gang bangers go postal in several of their big Yahoo down town GR fests.... So I consider this an (illegal) knee jerk...

Last edited:

aadvark

sheldon:

Does Grand Rapids have a Gang Problem?

I could NOT Imangine any Major Crime Problem in Michigan beyond The Limits of either: 1. Detroit, OR 2. Flint.

aadvark

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
GR is acting out, they have had several gang bangers go postal in several of their big Yahoo down town GR fests.... So I consider this an (illegal) knee jerk...

These are old ordinances, not new.

Rockford and GR's have been notified that these ordinances are unlawful in the past. Someone recently was still working with Rockford.

xd shooter

The person has been issued a valid license to do so as provided by Act 372 of the Michigan Public Acts of 1927, as amended (MCL 28.421 et seq.

It would seem to me that your license to purchase OR your CPL would cover this, but obviously a person to person sale would not have the License to purchase, and does not require a CPL...

SpringerXDacp

Humm we could hold a "Who's the top BA Gang" party in a nice big field some place in the country for them, free ammo, knives and ball bats, make it a 24 hour event, then jail the survivor.....

We already have places like that in Michigan, they're called Flint and Detriot. The free items you mentioned are unintentionally provided by folks who were in legal possession of them at one time.

Bronson

It would seem to me that your license to purchase, or your CPL would cover this

I agree.

The GR ord. states:

No person shall carry any firearm upon his or her person in any public street, alley or other place open to the public in the City of Grand Rapids unless:

(1) The person has been issued a valid license to do so as provided by Act 372 of Michigan Public Acts of 1927, as amended (MCL 28.421 et seq.), or

. . .

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Et+Seq.

et seq. (et seek) n. abbreviation for the Latin phrase et sequentes meaning "and the following." It is commonly used by lawyers to include numbered lists, pages or sections after the first number is stated, as in "the rules of the road are found in Vehicle Code Section 1204, et seq."

So the ord. says you cannot blah blah blah unless you have a valid license as provided in Act 372 of 1927 which is MCL 28.241 and the MCLs following .241 within Act 372.

Two of the MCLs in Act 372 that follows .241 are .242 and .425b which are the state's laws on obtaining a License to Purchase/Possess/Carry and obtaining a CPL, respectively.

So, anybody that is legally in possession of a pistol by either having gotten a License to Purchase/Possess/Carry or having obtained a CPL is exempt from this ord.

Just my non-lawyerly take.

Bronson

Last edited:

Greyh Seer

This means that someone who is visiting from another state who doesn't need to register their firearm would be breaking the law in GR by OCing. I still believe this law violates state preemption...

Bronson

This means that someone who is visiting from another state who doesn't need to register their firearm would be breaking the law in GR by OCing. I still believe this law violates state preemption...

Try again. Both MCL 28.422 and MCL 28.432, both of which are contained within the "et seq," provide exemptions to people from out of state.

(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).

(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.

(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.

Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

. . .

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

Basically anybody who is legally in possession of their pistol is exempted from this ord. The only people it is prohibiting are people who are illegally in possession of a firearm.

This ord. meets the letter of the law.

Bronson

Last edited:

Greyh Seer

I think I may have been miss-reading this law for a while. I thought that you could carry an unregistered pistol in MI openly if you were a visiting non-resident without any paperwork... So if:

1. I am not a resident of MI
2. I do not have a permit from my home state
3. I do not have a CPL

then I cannot OC a pistol in MI?

Also, if the above is true, what about long-arms. I belive the GR law bans all firearms, not just pistols? Then wouldn't this law still preempt MI firearm law?

aadvark

EVERYONE:

Lets NOT Miss The Point.

Open Carry in Michigan in Legal..., and for more than just Handguns, although I am Aware of The Rules of This Forum.

Michigan Codified Law 123.1102 is Clear, and These Ordinances Enacted and Enforced by Grand Rapids are in Violation.

Furthermore, Grand Rapids City Public Bus Service, The Rapid, Prohibits Firearms and Ammunition, and, again..., another Violation of The Michigan Codified Laws.

These Illegal and Unlawful Ordiannces have to Stop, for Everyone, whether from Michigan, or not.

aadvark

*** The Rapid Bus Website has The Following about NO Firearms, Rule No. 2: http://www.ridetherapid.org/ride/rules ***

*** IF..., and only IF..., The Rapid Bus System would Remove The Words '... of any Kind', then, Their Rule would be Consistent with Michigan Law, IF, further, They were to Define Weapon as any Device Enumerated under Michigan Codified Law 750.224. ***

xmanhockey7

I think I may have been miss-reading this law for a while. I thought that you could carry an unregistered pistol in MI openly if you were a visiting non-resident without any paperwork... So if:

1. I am not a resident of MI
2. I do not have a permit from my home state
3. I do not have a CPL

then I cannot OC a pistol in MI?

Also, if the above is true, what about long-arms. I belive the GR law bans all firearms, not just pistols? Then wouldn't this law still preempt MI firearm law?[/QUOTE

If you are a non resident with no permit from any state you may not open carry. If you have a non resident cary permit and are a non resident you may open carry only in MI.

Bronson

EVERYONE:

Lets NOT Miss The Point.

Open Carry in Michigan in Legal..., and for more than just Handguns, although I am Aware of The Rules of This Forum.

You're right. I got hung up on pistols and forgot about LGOC. In regards to that then I would agree that this ord. is in violation of 123.1101

Bronson

Bronson

If you are a non resident with no permit from any state you may not open carry.

Just clarifying.

The permit does NOT have to be a concealed weapon permit. IL residents cannot get a resident concealed weapon permit but they can get a Firearm Owner's I.D. (FOID). This satisfies the non-resident requirements in 28.422 (cited in a previous post) and would allow a IL resident to OC their pistol in MI under the same regulations as a MI resident that does NOT have a CPL.

Bronson