• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Brookfield writing of CCW ban in municipal buildings

protias

Not a repost. Thanks for the link.

"If you think you're going to create a safe environment by (posting a sign), you're crazy," Owen said. "A criminal isn't going to go, 'Oh! I'm not going to do that.'" - Ald. Rick Owen

It is good to see he is at least fighting against this ban and that he understand criminals don't obey the law.

But they already are banned from police departments and municipal courts.

Wrong! If given permission from a judge, you can carry in the court.

BROKENSPROKET

WTF. They can post all the signs they want, but it would be illegal for them to pass an ordinance.

I am really tempted to open carry and walk right into one of the buildings and let them arrest me and if the charge me with the ordinance, sue thier ass.

Langer

On an interesting note: It does not specify WHICH judge, or even what district the judge has to be in, in order to give you written permission. To me that means that you can gt written permission from ANY judge to carry in ANY courthouse/courtroom. Bwahahahahaha!!!

protias

On an interesting note: It does not specify WHICH judge, or even what district the judge has to be in, in order to give you written permission. To me that means that you can gt written permission from ANY judge to carry in ANY courthouse/courtroom. Bwahahahahaha!!!

Like Rock County Judge Kenneth Forbeck? :D

BROKENSPROKET

I went and read it again, and you are right, it is wide open to interpretation. But I am pretty sure and Appellate or Supreme Court would rule that a judge can only give written permission to those entering thier own courtroom. The judge could put restrictions on the permission like which date and times permission is granted or which cases, etc... Since no immunity is granted them if the give permission, I think they would be very conservative with that ability. There might be a judge that will give permission to anyone with a CWL for the length of his term.

MKEgal

"Aldermen asked staff to draft an ordinance banning firearms from being carried openly or concealed into city buildings."
I hope their signs only reference their own ordinance.
(See pg. 18 of the PDF of the law, 943.13 (2)(bm)1: "...a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2...")
Might create enough ambiguity that the first person charged would get them to re-do their signs.
Maybe not. :(

Even in Milwaukee I'm planning to vote absentee from now on, since my polling place is a school & the alternate (early) polling place is a city building that I expect will be posted. Will make interacting with city employees more difficult (phone, email, letter) or dangerous (in person, in a criminal-friendly zone).

"City Human Resources Director James Zwerlein said city department heads favored a ban and accompanying signage."
I don't give a flying you-know-what (and how is that done, anyway?) about what these civil servants, these public employees, want. My right to self-defense is not theirs to decide.
For that matter, any alderman who votes for that bad city ordinance should be unelected.
Recalled, even.