• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Children's Museum

TFred

Virginia is a big state. I think you're going to have to be a little bit more specific.

Your question is similar to "Does the hamburger joint on the corner allow guns?"

It kind of depends on which corner... :lol:

TFred

Doc_Smith

Apologies. I'm talking about the Virginia living museum on J Clyde Morris in Newport News. Going there on Sunday with my nephew and sister. For some reason I thought this was in the Hampton Roads thread. My bad. :banghead:

Doc_Smith

The address for the living museum is

524 J Clyde Morris Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23601

And the website it thevlm.org

ocholsteroc

Virginia is a big state. I think you're going to have to be a little bit more specific.

Your question is similar to "Does the hamburger joint on the corner allow guns?"

It kind of depends on which corner... :lol:

TFred

http://www.childrensmuseumva.com/

Children’s Museum of Virginia · 221 High Street, Portsmouth, VA · 757-393-5258 · get directions
© copyright 2011, city of portsmouth, virginia | website by Arengee

Last edited:

TFred

http://www.childrensmuseumva.com/

Children’s Museum of Virginia · 221 High Street, Portsmouth, VA · 757-393-5258 · get directions
© copyright 2011, city of portsmouth, virginia | website by Arengee
I'd venture a guess the bold text, at the bottom of their web page is a pretty good start.

Rule out any sort of official school facility, and you're probably good to go. JMHO of course.

TFred

wikieod

Living Museum is good to go. Been there a few times OC, and nothing said. A few looks by parents, but nothing was said.

TFred

For The Living Museum, other than the City of Newport News being on a rather long list of grant-givers and other corporate sponsors, I didn't find anything on the web page to indicate any public ownership or affiliation.

One of the corporate sponsors was Bob's Gun Shop. There are also apparently a LOT of school field trips here. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that.

TFred

paramedic70002

For The Living Museum, other than the City of Newport News being on a rather long list of grant-givers and other corporate sponsors, I didn't find anything on the web page to indicate any public ownership or affiliation.

One of the corporate sponsors was Bob's Gun Shop. There are also apparently a LOT of school field trips here. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that.

TFred

The school code only comes into play when it is for exclusive use.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

TFred

The school code only comes into play when it is for exclusive use.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.1
Exactly, which is why I worded it this way on purpose! :)

"It wouldn't surprise me if at some point, someone might take exception to carrying when there are school kids in attendance, but I'm not aware of any legal restrictions for that."

We've long known that people sometimes get upset about OCers' actions that are perfectly legal.

TFred