• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

state law, or individual municipalities???

scorpio_vette

So was talking to somebody today, and they brought up something that I haven't heard before (i don't think).

they said that unlike other states where the carry laws apply to the entire state regardless of location, wisconsin has it where each city can have it's own rules.

examples he brought up were:

1) gun free school zone. claiming that in watertown for example it's illegal to carry through a school zone even with a CCW.
I was under the impression that ANYWHERE in wisconsin, the same rules/laws about GFSZ applied. no carry in school zone without a permit, carry in school zone with a permit, regardless if open or concealed carrying.

2) government buildings make their own decisions whether or not to post their buildings or not. quoted local city owned airport and 1 other place (sorry can't remember which) that recently decided it was ok to carry in their buildings. i was under the impression that:
"Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff‘s office, state patrol station, or
the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ.
 Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured
correctional facility.
 The Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center, the Wisconsin Resource Center, or any
secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institution, including a facility
designated as the Maximum Security Facility at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.
 Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
 Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
 A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport. "

so do the wisconsin carry laws apply uniformly state wide, or can individual counties, cities, etc.. establish their own rules, and if so to what extend???

Thanks.

Interceptor_Knight

Watertown (or any other political subdivision of WI) may not have its own ordinances regarding GFSZ. Any licensee or oos licensee may carry with a license openly or concealed so long as they are not in or on the grounds of a 1-12 school.
Government buildings are off limits for anyone who is not a licensee. State Statute prohibits all persons including licensees from carrying in specific buildings or portions of buildings as you mentioned above. An airport may restrict or not restrict carry before a security checkpoint. Political subdivisions may restrict licensees from their buildings but not from their property. Political subdivisions may prohibit non-licensees from carrying on their property which includes parks, greenways, etc

Last edited:

scorpio_vette

Watertown (or any other political subdivision of WI) may not have its own ordinances regarding GFSZ. Any licensee or oos licensee may carry with a license openly or concealed so long as they are not in or on the grounds of a 1-12 school.
Government buildings are off limits for anyone who is not a licensee. State Statute prohibits all persons including licensees from carrying in specific buildings or portions of buildings as you mentioned above. An airport may restrict or not restrict carry before a security checkpoint. Political subdivisions may restrict licensees from their buildings but not from their property. Political subdivisions may prohibit non-licensees from carrying on their property which includes parks, greenways, etc

Any suggestions on how to show text or cite or how to proof that i'm right. It was a friendly conversation,
And the guy also started to doubt himself, and asked me if i could show him something if i am in fact
Right.

Thanks

oliverclotheshoff

Last edited:

MKEgal

Interceptor_Knight said:
Watertown (or any other political subdivision of WI) may not have its own ordinances regarding GFSZ.
Nitpick: they can have all the local ordinances they want, if they're equal to (or more citizen-friendly than) state law.
;)
But I agree with everything else you said there.
66.0409 (2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

TyGuy

This has already been covered, but what about in stores that sell alcohol (grocery stores, liquor stores, etc...) versus establishments where you can consume alcohol (restraint, bar, etc...)??

MKEgal

TyGuy said:
This has already been covered, but what about in stores that sell alcohol (grocery stores, liquor stores, etc...) versus establishments where you can consume alcohol (restaurant, bar, etc...)??
Different sort of liquor license.
The restriction is on a class B establishment, what's called in the law a 'tavern' - selling for on-premises consumption.
See 941.237
Also see chapter 125, subchapter 2, to learn what the different classes of license mean.

Last edited:

TyGuy

Different sort of liquor license.
The restriction is on a class B establishment, what's called in the law a 'tavern' - selling for on-premises consumption.
See 941.237
Also see chapter 125, subchapter 2, to learn what the different classes of license mean.

That was my understanding from when OC was the only way to carry. So, I'm safe OCing or CCing in a grocery store that sells liquor then?