• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Radford’s self-defense ban goes into effect even as VCU sees huge increase in crime

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Last week’s Virginia Register contained the final publication of Radford University’s campus weapons ban. This may seem rather sudden to those familiar with the rather long and complex ‘notice and comment’ process by which most regulations are promulgated in Virginia. After all, the regulation was only first voted on by the Radford University Board of Visitors on Friday September 14th.

However, thanks to the ill-advised fast-track regulatory power granted to state-operated colleges and universities by § 2.2-4002(A)(6), the regulation becomes effective immediately upon publication without any public notice or comment period as would normally be the case with regulatory rulemaking.

It is with great sadness that I noted the final regulation bans not only firearms but also ...

Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=2195

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I've got nothing to say other than it makes me sick to see college after college in this state, implement bans to make sure that students, staff and visitors are thoroughly punished for daring to carry tools to protect themselves. What the hell goes through the mind of supposed academics to make them think that these laws will stop criminal attacks, when they don't work anywhere else? I tend to wonder if they're content to see young women raped, young men attacked, and their staff members victimized as they go through their days.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
The addition of other self-defense tools in the definition of "weapon" is what bothered me the most. :( Even non-lethal self-defense is denied to these students.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It blows my mind that supposedly educated individuals delude themselve into thinking they can create "safe zones" by putting words on paper. The Washington D.C. (Or Chicago) gun ban is long standing proof that gun bans are both ineffective and dangerous...the evidence is out there if these idiots would only open their eyes...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It blows my mind that supposedly educated individuals delude themselve into thinking they can create "safe zones" by putting words on paper. The Washington D.C. (Or Chicago) gun ban is long standing proof that gun bans are both ineffective and dangerous...the evidence is out there if these idiots would only open their eyes...

True, 100% true.

"Educated" in a particular discipline does not confer upon any individual(s) a superior, omnipotent intellect in other fields, particularly how to provide for another's safety.

Would you select an engineer to perform brain surgery? Both of those require tools and the knowledge of how and when to use them. There is no logic, no semblance of reason, in allowing those entrusted with the education of others to throw them under the bus - to deprive them of the ability to defend that which is most precious to them = their very lives!

I call it the "Ivory Tower Syndrome" = if I don't see it, it doesn't exist, beside which I am smarter than you. You want to pass and graduate or continue working here? Then you will do it my way. To hell with facts and truth. Now get out of my office! :banghead:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
True, 100% true.

"Educated" in a particular discipline does not confer upon any individual(s) a superior, omnipotent intellect in other fields, particularly how to provide for another's safety.

Would you select an engineer to perform brain surgery? Both of those require tools and the knowledge of how and when to use them. There is no logic, no semblance of reason, in allowing those entrusted with the education of others to throw them under the bus - to deprive them of the ability to defend that which is most precious to them = their very lives!

I call it the "Ivory Tower Syndrome" = if I don't see it, it doesn't exist, beside which I am smarter than you. You want to pass and graduate or continue working here? Then you will do it my way. To hell with facts and truth. Now get out of my office! :banghead:

Sounds about right.

( BTW as an engineer, there's no way I'd want to even try brain surgery. :) )

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sounds about right.

( BTW as an engineer, there's no way I'd want to even try brain surgery. :) )

It would seem to have been practiced (love that word) on some in administrative positions within our state college system, judging by the results :eek:

If signs and rules/regulations stopped crime, then a really huge billboard should be most effective.