• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just what is Green Top's policy regarding open carry?

curtiswr

I was just at Green Top after the Richmond OC breakfast today, and I was planning out a purchase of a Springfield M1A Scout or Socom... speaking with Joe Gokey (sp?). I believe he is a new employee, but can't be certain. I haven't seen him there before. After walking about the store and perusing shotguns and accessories on just about every aisle, I waited 5 to 10 minutes at the gun counter to speak with Joe G. about the differences in the M1A models.

In the midst of the discussion whilst I was contemplating the models and how I wanted to pay for it, Joe G. asked me if I was a police officer. I politely informed him that I was not. He then abruptly told me open carry was not allowed in the store and posed the question "Did you not read the sign on the door?" I told him that I read the sign in the door when it was first put up several months ago.

Joe G. then turned to Joe Hopkins and asked for clarification of OC policy in the store. Joe Hopkins said "only if the mag is out, unloaded." I then informed both of them that I obliged the sign by being a permit holder. Joe G. got on his high horse immediately and said "WELL if you have a CHP WHY ARE YOU OPEN CARRYING?!" I asked him why I shouldn't be and to that he said "well nevermind." At that point I said "yeah, nevermind, I came here to shop not argue politics*" and left the store, only to return several minutes later to ask for Joe G's name and to make sure of Joe Hopkins'

(*Yes I know it wasn't really setting up to be an argument of politics, but rather the merits of oc vs cc. Politics is just what rolled off my tongue, it got the point across.)

I am probably going to go back in the coming week in order to help a coworker pick out a gun. I may go in the store, but I can say this is the end of me buying from them for now. This and the fact that they want $60.00 for a box of WWB .45ACP ball.

Last edited:

curtiswr

The sign on the door says "No loaded firearms unless you are law enforcement personnel or you have a concealed handgun permit." It doesn't mention what mode of carry you must be in. I am working off the premise that they are assuming a CHP is a good citizen card, not that they are saying you must carry in that method.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll talk to them again TJ.
What I've been told before by Pat and Donnie, was that the sign was for idiots and as long as it was holstered it was OK ...Chp's and OC'ers.

It is the result of at least two ND's

Joe Hopkins is one of the big three so I don't know now.

I'll let you know what I find.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Clearly just a dumb assumption. I stop there anytime I'm on my way back from S. of Richmond, to check out the specials. I don't buy anything that ain't on sale.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Clearly just a dumb assumption. I stop there anytime I'm on my way back from S. of Richmond, to check out the specials. I don't buy anything that ain't on sale.

That's what I'm thinking too User. If this is a new employee, he could be just misquoting the sign and Joe going along to save face.

I've told them before that would be a bad move. Greentops has kept it's doors open because of old customer loyalty. Their prices aren't that good and some of the new employees shouldn't be there...and wouldn't have been under Hopkins ownership.

If they start blowing off us old timers, they stand to lose a lot. Bass Pro is a lot prettier and has them bet on everything but guns. The internet is making the gun market less profitable all the time.

tcmech

I was just in there earlier today, and no one mentioned anything about the glock on my right hip. I didn't notice the sign on the door, it may have been there but I sure missed it.

curtiswr

I've gone out of my way to support them on the premise that I support local business when and if I can. I've been at a gun show, fondled a gun, left and gone to Green Top to buy it at a higher price before. Hopkins has helped me several times, from looking at a multitude of guns, to buying guns, to just ringing up the smallest of purchases... because yes I would even drive out there for a bottle of Hoppes or bag of patches if needed, as opposed to hitting up Wal Mart.

And every time since I bought my first handgun and holster there, I OCed into the store. There were murmurings, once before, between another customer and a clerk before to the tune of the clerk saying something along the lines of it making them uncomfortable... but nothing ever came of it and I made my purchase and left. I posted about that in the Open Carry in Richmond thread, I believe.

I asked for a print off of all the guns I've bought there so I could see how much money I'd be taking elsewhere, but didn't get it because it takes time to do and they were busy. This left a really bad taste in my mouth, regardless of whether or not it was to simply save face. If Joe G. was wrong then Joe H. should have corrected him. That Joe G. pompously asked why I would choose to do it since I had a CHP only upset me that much more. Normally I would see it as an educational opportunity, but the snicker and the glare behind it changed the tone and mood of the exchange entirely.

I won't go to Blair's because of their p4p sign; I won't go to Pat Troy's, if I'm ever in the area, because of their p4p policy; and I'll damn sure stop buying from Green Top if they want to adapt and enforce it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You know what would be fun? Fill the store on a Saturday with OC'ers.

Ask TONS of questions, and buy nothing.

i'd really hate to stop going there. I don't buy much there anymore. I handload, buy bulk powder over the net, buy bulk primers from a dealer that brings them to the shows so I don't have to pay Hazmat, cast my own bullets, make my own arrows and haven't bought a gun from a dealer for years....but I still keep up with them for old times sake.

BUT..if they stand firm on the no OC policy, I'll have to make do without them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is Green Top becoming semi-unfriendly?

OK only if they can't see it?

That would IMO be a shame and a mistake.

Marco

I've only been in GT's twice both times I was treated poorly, both times I had the intent to buy something.
They had a used handgun I've been searching for and grips that I wanted but could order online.

No one said anyhting about our OC'd firearms, infact no one spoke to us at all even when my wife asked for assitance, they did say bye when we exited.

Fool me once shame on you, foul me twice shame on me, if there's a third time they'll be trouble but since I would never set foot in the store again they'll be none of that.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
No, that's where I keep a Ben Franklin to show the ladies how attractive I am.

Like this? :)
franklins.jpg