• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proper transport of a gun to the range (no CHP)

user

Accomplished Advocate
By the way, lots of what's been said here about what's legally allowable is accurate, and will give you a good defense at trial - my advice was intended to be practical "avoid arrest to begin with" advice.

VApatriot

Welcome to OCDO!

I'll just say that you should look into getting a copy of the Virginia Gun Owner's Guide http://www.gunlaws.com/vgog.htm. For new (or even long-time) gun owners, this book a HUGE help.

I'm not affiliated with the site linked, and you can find the book plenty of other place online or at most gun stores and gun showes in Virginia.

Also, if you haven't done so already, check out VCDL http://www.vcdl.org/. There is a meeting next Thursday in Annandale, and all are welcome to attend. More info here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83877-VCDL-Meeting-NoVA-Annandale-Thurs.-12-16-10

Jonesy

Seriously, no one touched this one?

You can keep the gun holstered, on your hip as long as clothing does not cover it up.

This is what I do, holstered on hip. Quick question though, if holstered on right hip and center console and/or seatbelt obscures it from view, does it become concealed, hidden from common observation? My view is maybe so. I have considered this and if I get pulled over, I will make sure it is positioned where it cannot be considered concealed, such as having the holster positioned more towards the front and not obscured by anything. Comments?

Of course a permit would make this issue go away, but I do not want to give the Alexandria police my fingerprints. Maybe I should anyway.

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

This is what I do, holstered on hip. Quick question though, if holstered on right hip and center console and/or seatbelt obscures it from view, does it become concealed, hidden from common observation? My view is maybe so. I have considered this and if I get pulled over, I will make sure it is positioned where it cannot be considered concealed, such as having the holster positioned more towards the front and not obscured by anything. Comments?

Of course a permit would make this issue go away, but I do not want to give the Alexandria police my fingerprints. Maybe I should anyway.

I'd get the permit, so you can avoid that federal "invisible lines 1000 feet" school zone disarm stuff.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'd get the permit, so you can avoid that federal "invisible lines 1000 feet" school zone disarm stuff.

I've been in Surry all day and I'm too tired to give my usual Perks4Permits rant.

I'll let Uncle Ben do it for me:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

virginiatuck

A friend and I were at the range one day. As we were leaving, he was putting his unloaded and cased firearm in his trunk and paused as he was closing the trunk lid. He asked me "is what I'm doing really legal?"

I asked, "what?"

He said, "I don't have a permit, so am I allowed to have my gun in my car like this?"

Never mind the fact that he didn't bother to ask this question until now; I laughed, and to emphasize the absurdity of his question, I said "you could load it and put it on the dashboard if you wanted..." (it was a rhetorical statement; legal, but not safe)

He reacted with surprise and disbelief.

I said "seriously, though, you need to get a holster for that and just carry it on your hip; no permit required."

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
A friend and I were at the range one day. As we were leaving, he was putting his unloaded and cased firearm in his trunk and paused as he was closing the trunk lid. He asked me "is what I'm doing really legal?"

I asked, "what?"

He said, "I don't have a permit, so am I allowed to have my gun in my car like this?"

Never mind the fact that he didn't bother to ask this question until now; I laughed, and to emphasize the absurdity of his question, I said "you could load it and put it on the dashboard if you wanted..." (it was a rhetorical statement; legal, but not safe)

He reacted with surprise and disbelief.

I said "seriously, though, you need to get a holster for that and just carry it on your hip; no permit required."

Sadly, there's alot of people out there that need some training on the laws. Some people unknowingly break them, and others self-restrict their actions because of what they think the law is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Nope it does not. The law does not direct that it must be visible from wherever the observer might be standing, which way you are facing, or whichever side is towards the wall or whether it is pitch black midnight outside - zero light.

Silly example maybe, but if someone OCing where hiding in the middle of a big bush or standing behind a barn door, they might be guilty of other things but NOT illegally concealing a gun. Just like a person sitting dominant side to the wall in a restaurant booth is still OCing. IANAL

The statute to which you refer is § 18.2-308
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-308.HTM

Last edited:

wylde007

Just like a person sitting dominant side to the wall in a restaurant booth
In my opinion this is still the best illustration of the "seated, not concealed" concept. It does not just apply to restaurant booths.

If you are not concealed, you are not concealed.

Somebody somewhere (and there may even be a statute somewhere, but NOT in Virginia code) decided that "concealed" meant if it was not visible from three sides.

I do not know, it may have been the president of the WMGA (Wal-Mart greeters association).

:lol:

hemifan87

would this be ok for carry in my car
54.jpg

or would it be consealed

CHILINVLN

I'm not sure why everyone is pushing for a locked container and everything else. You can holster up (loaded or unloaded), and keep it on your hip as long as clothing does not cover the weapon (for those without a CWP). This is the easiest way to transport through VA.