• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA blasts Governor Beebe and legislature re opposition to open carry rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6242

SNIP

Arkansas: House Judiciary Committee Doesn’t Trust Gun Owners!

Friday, February 11, 2011

On Thursday, February 10, the House Judiciary Committee voted to kill House Bill 1051, the Open Carry Bill introduced by state Representative Denny Altes (R-63). NRA testified in support of the legislation, and answered numerous questions regarding the reasons this bill was necessary, as well as clarifying what it would and would not do. It was pointed out that Arkansas is one of only seven states that prohibit all forms of openly carrying a handgun for personal protection. In other words, 43 states trust their law-abiding residents more than Arkansas trusts its own. It was also pointed out that in the 43 states that allow some form of Open Carry, law-abiding citizens who choose to carry openly have not been a problem.

Unfortunately, public opposition from Governor Mike Beebe (D) and opposing testimony during the hearing from various Arkansas law enforcement organizations led to the House Judiciary Committee defeating this legislation. While some Committee members promised to call for a recorded vote to ensure a public record, they still proceeded with a simple voice vote. State Representative Kim Hammer (R-28) made the motion to kill the bill, but it is difficult to determine how other legislators voted. Please take a moment to contact members of the House Judiciary Committee to express your disappointment that this pro-Second Amendment bill was defeated.

Please also ask Committee Members how they voted on HB 1051, and request that they give you a response in writing. If you receive a response, please forward it to NRA-ILA. You can contact the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at 1-800-392-8683 for information on how to forward what you receive. For a listing of members of the House Judiciary Committee, please click here.

. . .

jamanrr

Of course they think that, the Arkansas State Police is not going to give up their cash cow. Open carry has really nothing to do with it other than the 150 bucks they charge to get a CCL. I just got mine, it was number 2,100,000 approximation. so lets do a little math. 3.5 million people in Arkansas that means 60-70 percent have a concealed carry license. That means they have made roughly 300 million dollars in revenue all going to the state police since they have been giving out these licenses. Now do you honestly think they are going to fairly consider an open carry law? You could bring in the president of the NRA, and it would not matter.

LOL

Packer fan

Of course they think that, the Arkansas State Police is not going to give up their cash cow. Open carry has really nothing to do with it other than the 150 bucks they charge to get a CCL. I just got mine, it was number 2,100,000 approximation. so lets do a little math. 3.5 million people in Arkansas that means 60-70 percent have a concealed carry license. That means they have made roughly 300 million dollars in revenue all going to the state police since they have been giving out these licenses. Now do you honestly think they are going to fairly consider an open carry law? You could bring in the president of the NRA, and it would not matter.

LOL

The permit system is a feel good tax scheme. The "wolves" like to feel good that they have something the "sheep" don't because they paid their taxes, not understanding that they themselves are sheep in thinking the permit system is a right but it's a permission slip they pay a tax to acquire.

You are right it's about cash flow.

xd shooter

NRA and Open Carry

Is this the first time I've seen NRA in the defense of Open Carry?

It seems many on this forum have been upset with NRA and their seeming non-involvement in Open Carry issues, is it possible that this may be the beginning of a change in attitude?

DWCook

Activist Member
I have always had mixed feelings with the NRA. They seem to jump ship every so often on subject matters. I have been considering on getting a membership with the NRA, but at the same time I feel it be a waste of my money. Sorry to go off course here but what do you all think of the NRA and are some of you members?

detroit_fan

I have always had mixed feelings with the NRA. They seem to jump ship every so often on subject matters. I have been considering on getting a membership with the NRA, but at the same time I feel it be a waste of my money. Sorry to go off course here but what do you all think of the NRA and are some of you members?

I have mixed feelings too, but I am a member. The NRA has done some bad, and a lot of good, but one thing that is undeniable is they are the ONLY gun rights group that is feared in DC. They have a lot of power and do protect us from a lot, so I feel like abandoning them would be bad for the overall ability to stop bad gun legislation, especially at the federal level. I do write to them and speak to them on the phone to convey my concerns with them on some issues, but I feel like it's better to try and transform them into what we want than try to start fresh with an organization that has no respect in DC. JMO