• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchase law, under 21

altajava

A coworker who is over 21 wants to get his wife who is under 21 a handgun. I know at some level this should be legal but would this also be considered a straw purchase?

carry for myself

NO.

if he is buying the gun for her as a GIFT. and it indeed is HIS money purchasing the weapon. it is a gifting. and not a straw

however. if he is purchasing this gun FOR HER with HER MONEY in his name...........that is a straw purchase.

he can also purchase the firearm himself for himself, then gift it to her. but if she in anyway is involved with the purchase it is a straw.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He can buy it - she can carry it.

She can buy from a private party, but not an FFL, dealer.

He can gift her.

There is no registration of guns in Virginia (except machine guns) so there is no owner of record.

As his spouse, she already has a community property interest in all of his guns :D unless there was a prenuptial agreement to the contrary.

mark-in-texas

NO.

if he is buying the gun for her as a GIFT. and it indeed is HIS money purchasing the weapon. it is a gifting. and not a straw

however. if he is purchasing this gun FOR HER with HER MONEY in his name...........that is a straw purchase.

he can also purchase the firearm himself for himself, then gift it to her. but if she in anyway is involved with the purchase it is a straw.

Also a straw purchase if she's a 'prohibited person' even if it's going to be a gift.

TFred

"Straw Purchase" is meaningless

The term "straw purchase" has been so convoluted by the thousands of different opinions, that I honestly think the term is now meaningless.

It only makes sense to talk in terms of what "actions" are legal and not legal.

I think most of the descriptions of actions in this thread are correct, but the debate on whether or not you can call any of them a straw purchase is a waste of time.

IMHO, of course.

My belief is that the phrase was first used to describe purchases that were designed to get around legal prohibitions. Since then, the Feds have tried to re-define the phrase to cover purchases that are indeed perfectly legal. I suspect they just want to have their nose in all purchases...

In any case... yeah, you can gift or loan a gun to an 18-20 year old, as long as they are not otherwise prohibited.

TFred (who hates what the Feds have done to our vocabulary)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The term "straw purchase" has been so convoluted by the thousands of different opinions, that I honestly think the term is now meaningless.

It only makes sense to talk in terms of what "actions" are legal and not legal.

I think most of the descriptions of actions in this thread are correct, but the debate on whether or not you can call any of them a straw purchase is a waste of time.

IMHO, of course.

My belief is that the phrase was first used to describe purchases that were designed to get around legal prohibitions. Since then, the Feds have tried to re-define the phrase to cover purchases that are indeed perfectly legal. I suspect they just want to have their nose in all purchases...

In any case... yeah, you can gift or loan a gun to an 18-20 year old, as long as they are not otherwise prohibited.

TFred (who hates what the Feds have done to our vocabulary)

+1

Just tell your coworker to buy the thing and quit worrying about it.

Sheriff

When Mayor Bloomberg discovered that HIS own police officers were bringing guns into New York, were they considered straw purchases? Or were they considered a simple mistake in judgement?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes, my wife has reminded me of this from time to time.

Remind her under common law you may beat her with a stick no larger than your thumb.
I remind mine of that often. She ignores me as usual, but I keep reminding.:(

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Remind her under common law you may beat her with a stick no larger than your thumb.
I remind mine of that often. She ignores me as usual, but I keep reminding.:(

Hmmm...would that be the length of the stick or the width?

Last edited:

B. Reddy

Picking a good gun?

A coworker who is over 21 wants to get his wife who is under 21 a handgun. I know at some level this should be legal but would this also be considered a straw purchase?

Hey, altajava, just wondering, do you know how your coworker decided what gun to get his wife? Did she try some out at the range? take a shooting class? ask her girlfriends?

altajava

Hey, altajava, just wondering, do you know how your coworker decided what gun to get his wife? Did she try some out at the range? take a shooting class? ask her girlfriends?

All window shopping, no range time yet. She chose a PX4 in 9 based on ergonomics, it felt good in her hand. Which is important. There may may have been a little "it looks nice" as well. When they started looking, he was leaning towards a .380 so I think they made a good choice.

Last edited:

Docgmt

Wife can open carry

Under 21 your wife can NOT get a CHP but anyone over 18 can open carry in Virginia.

user

Accomplished Advocate
No. It's not an illegal straw purchase unless she is legally prohibited from being in possession of a firearm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No. It's not an illegal straw purchase unless she is legally prohibited from being in possession of a firearm.

Some FFLs will refuse the sale if you and your money are not the sole actor in the transaction - have seen such a sign on the wall of at least one Richmond gun shop.

BTW - would be good to see you at VCDL's Operation Campus Safety on Dec. 1st at VCU. Maybe can do?