• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Basic Pistol course

Bellum_Intus

If anyones interested in an NRA basic pistol course (NRA101), a very close friend of mine (and MY instructor) has a class starting June 19th in the evening. It's a 3 day (2- 4 hours sessions + range) course that will fulfil the requirements for CHP in Colorado. This is NOT his CHP / CCW class, but again, it fills the requirement. Class is held in Colorado Springs.

Class is $150.00, limited to 8 people (2 seats filled as of this post).

If you are interested, let me know..

--Rob

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

$150? Really? Why so much?

I plan on going through the NRA instructor course and can't imagine charging this much for a CHP class.

This is an NRA basic course, not a CHP course. (although it fulfills the requirements) .. also, it is 8 hours of instruction followed by a range session. $150 isn't bad..

The NRA instructor course is 375.00 and is 3 days long..

I personally don't recommend taking a simple safety course to obtain a CHP (IMO) .. heck all you need for that is a hunter safety card.. >.<

--Rob

MamaLiberty

Three days for a basic pistol class?

The NRA Basic Pistol class does not take more than 10 hours to present. I've been putting on those classes for many years now. This person would have to add a lot of material to stretch it out to three days and, if so, he/she should NOT be promoting this as an NRA "basic" pistol class. They can advertise it as being "based on" the NRA course, but it would not be an NRA standard class.

The NRA "Instructor's Course" is also a 10 hour class. The ordinary basic pistol class is taken first, if necessary, and then the instructor's course. They are often given back to back and may cover two or three days.

Either you are mistaken about what is being offered, or there is some serious problems calling this an NRA class.

They can charge whatever they wish. I'm far more concerned about possible misrepresentation.

Bellum_Intus

Three days for a basic pistol class?

The NRA Basic Pistol class does not take more than 10 hours to present. I've been putting on those classes for many years now. This person would have to add a lot of material to stretch it out to three days and, if so, he/she should NOT be promoting this as an NRA "basic" pistol class. They can advertise it as being "based on" the NRA course, but it would not be an NRA standard class.

The NRA "Instructor's Course" is also a 10 hour class. The ordinary basic pistol class is taken first, if necessary, and then the instructor's course. They are often given back to back and may cover two or three days.

Either you are mistaken about what is being offered, or there is some serious problems calling this an NRA class.

They can charge whatever they wish. I'm far more concerned about possible misrepresentation.

3 days, 1 - 4 hour session (evening), 1 - 4 hour session (evening) and a range session.
The class is NRA101, yes, it's an NRA basic pistol class.

--Rob

mobiushky

I'll stand up a little for your buddy Rob. I was looking everywhere for the NRA course all over Denver. $150 is actually on the low side for most places. It's not the cheapest, but by far not the most expensive. I've seen some advertise for $200 or more for the NRA Basic Pistol course. Same course.

The guys I'm taking it from charge $125 and it's an 8 hour course (all in one day on a Sat). But since I bought the gun from them, they are only charging us $100 each. Still, it's well within reasonable prices.

Bellum_Intus

I should have been more clear on my original post, when I stated 3 days..

He holds the classes during the week, and to allow people to attend, he holds them in the evening in 2 - 4 hour classroom sessions and a range session. So the course is a total of 8 hours + range.

Here are his credentials:

NRA Senior Training Counselor

CO P.O.S.T. Firearms Instructor Course (ASCO 40 Hrs 25-29 Oct 2010)

UT & KS State Certified Concealed Firearms Instructor

--Rob

PS.. Thanks Mobi! =)

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

3 days, 1 - 4 hour session (evening), 1 - 4 hour session (evening) and a range session.
The class is NRA101, yes, it's an NRA basic pistol class.

--Rob

I see - you did neglect to mention that detail. Sure sounds like the hard way to do it... but whatever it takes. :) I would not want to haul all my stuff out to the clubhouse three times in a row like that for one class. :) No wonder it costs so much.

Bellum_Intus

I see - you did neglect to mention that detail. Sure sounds like the hard way to do it... but whatever it takes. :) I would not want to haul all my stuff out to the clubhouse three times in a row like that for one class. :) No wonder it costs so much.

Yeah, I hear you there.. I am taking the instructor course in July, I get to haul out 3 days myself.. I live about 70 miles east so yeah, it's a haul!haha!..
I think he does this for convenience to his clients who cannot make weekends, AND, he's an LEO.. so his weekends tend to be filled at times..

--Rob

MamaLiberty

I'm 80 or 90 miles from just about anything out here, so I had quite a drive during my training. The "Personal Protection in the Home" and the last one - PPOH - were 4 day events, back to back - large classes, so they took more time. I couldn't just rent a motel in the city because I have animals and other things here on the ranch that must be tended - so I drove back and forth each day. Exhausting, but worth it. Between the class cost, ammunition, incidentals and gas, I figure each trainer's certificate cost me about $500.