• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding guns secured in car on college campus

user

Accomplished Advocate
Excellent and incisive analysis by Skidmark. My apologies. As to the question presented, I'd say the answer is, "No." The statutory provision providing for the ability to "secure" the firearm in the vehicle is an exception to the concealed weapons prohibition. It does not authorize possession of a firearm in a place where it's not allowed by some other valid regulation or statute.

cbtexan04

The OP asked:

He deserves an answer, and we owe him and the board an answer that complies with the rules. Other than his follow-up question, he did not inquire about informing the school of his behavior but inquired if he could get around school policy by citing Code of Virginia. The answer to his question must be: "No."

The OP has not asked what might happen if he does violate school policy, although several posters have provided opinions about that. The OP has not asked if he should violate school policy but has received at least tacit encouragement to do so. This is not fair to the OP or to the board.

Had the OP stated that in spite of the advice given he intended to violate school policy and wondered what the best way tp proceed might be, then I can see and support educating him on the 5th Amendment provision against self-incrimination and urging him to apply it should he in fact carry out his proposed behavior.

I think the "more elegant" response would be for him to erase all his discussion about the matter and seek to have the thread deleted.

But the OP has not stated a intent to violate school policy, has he?

stay safe.

I'm unsure if your post is meant to belittle me, if it's actual advice. Why would you advise me to erase this thread, when it was a genuine question?

Of course I'm not going to be as versed as some of you on the law. I'm still in school, I've barely started on my track. I will say, however, that if (and I'm not pointing you out specifically) individuals offer such replies as "delete this thread", how are we, younger generation, going to learn?

Back on topic, thank you everybody for the responses. I do believe that the best advice on this board was from a fellow student who suggested I park off campus grounds. However, I feel the "don't ask don't tell" policy will be my course of action, as far as weapons in the car. I've intentionally remained silent about what specific choice I will make, mostly because if legal actions were ever brought against me, I would not want this post as incriminating evidence.

EDIT: As far as telling the university that I may or may not have a weapon (even if stored legally), I've browsed this board enough to know that's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I'm unsure if your post is meant to belittle me, if it's actual advice. Why would you advise me to erase this thread, when it was a genuine question?

Of course I'm not going to be as versed as some of you on the law. I'm still in school, I've barely started on my track. I will say, however, that if (and I'm not pointing you out specifically) individuals offer such replies as "delete this thread", how are we, younger generation, going to learn?

Back on topic, thank you everybody for the responses. I do believe that the best advice on this board was from a fellow student who suggested I park off campus grounds. However, I feel the "don't ask don't tell" policy will be my course of action, as far as weapons in the car. I've intentionally remained silent about what specific choice I will make, mostly because if legal actions were ever brought against me, I would not want this post as incriminating evidence.

EDIT: As far as telling the university that I may or may not have a weapon (even if stored legally), I've browsed this board enough to know that's just asking for trouble.

I seriously doubt skidmark meant any belittling. I took him to mean that you've been given a lot of advice that amounts to "ignore the rules" which is not really what this board is all about. Letting the thread remain makes us all complicit - though I figure we should think about that BEFORE we post.

If you're near/at VCU, you're in Richmond. Why not come on out to the breakfast tomorrow and ask him yourself?

cbtexan04

I seriously doubt skidmark meant any belittling. I took him to mean that you've been given a lot of advice that amounts to "ignore the rules" which is not really what this board is all about. Letting the thread remain makes us all complicit - though I figure we should think about that BEFORE we post.

If you're near/at VCU, you're in Richmond. Why not come on out to the breakfast tomorrow and ask him yourself?

Ahh, apologies to skidmark for my overly defensive post!

I'm actually in Newport News at CNU, and I will be preparing for my wedding which is a week from now :) if it were a closer event, I would be better able to attend!

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I'm actually in Newport News at CNU, and I will be preparing for my wedding which is a week from now :) if it were a closer event, I would be better able to attend!

My apologies; I did read that but forgot.

Congratulations on the impending nuptials.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

No problems, as no offense was taken.

First - congratulatons on the upcoming nuptuals.

Now, about erasing everything you posed and getting the thread deleted - that is pretty much standard advice when someone announces they intend to/have just done something that violates one or more articles of the criminal code. My comment was not directed at you, but was conditional and described
Had the OP stated that in spite of the advice given he intended to violate school policy and wondered what the best way tp proceed might be, then I can see and support educating him on the 5th Amendment provision against self-incrimination and urging him to apply it should he in fact carry out his proposed behavior.

I think the "more elegant" response would be for him to erase all his discussion about the matter and seek to have the thread deleted.
what IMHO would be the more elegant way of dealing with that lapse of discretion.

Although some have suggested, based on an alleged know-it-all personality, I was not in fact born knowing everything. I do admit, however, to being cursed with a tendency to be less wrong than most folks most of the time.

My new(est) motto is:
Those who do not study history are condemned to repeat it.
Those who do study history are condemned to stand around and watch those who did not study it repeat the same fool mistakes again and again.

Check the stickies at the top of the Virginia swction and try to make one of the dinners in your area. Also go chat with the folks at the VCDL table at the gun shows. They do tend to know everything, or at least how to look it up.:D

stay safe.

JoeSparky

Centurion
My somewhat sarcastic but still respectful response to Skidmark's series of posts on this thread...

Rule 1: Don't violation the law. Included in this is the requirement to know the law.
Rule 2: IF one does actually violate the law--- avail yourself of your Constitutionally Protected rights against self incrimination and unreasonable searches, also known as the US Constitutional 4th and 5th amendments protections especially if you don't have a legal justification for your violation of the law.
Rule3: Learn from others and their experiences. It is wise to be able to learn from observation/history and not have to go thru it first hand after many/thousands have done the same thing already before you in much the same circumstances!

Carry on!