• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UnOfficial SB 59 Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bikenut

750.234d makes open carry illegal in multiple places. It only becomes legal if you get the states "permission slip"(CPL). Just sayin'.
Where in 750.234d does it specifically mention "openly carry" like SB59 does?

After all... for a very long time folks stood on the premise that open carry was legal because there are not any laws that make open carry illegal. However... SB59 has language in it that specifically makes "openly carry" illegal. While SB59 only applies to "openly carry" in PFZ's I believe having a law that specifically mentions open carry sets the precedent of specifically making the act of open carry itself illegal... a precedent that can be used in the future to expand where "openly carry" can be made illegal.

Folks could say I am parsing words but the truth is I am concerned that specific words have specific meanings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Where in 750.234d does it specifically mention "openly carry" like SB59 does?

After all... for a very long time folks stood on the premise that open carry was legal because there are not any laws that make open carry illegal. However... SB59 has language in it that specifically makes "openly carry" illegal. While SB59 only applies to "openly carry" in PFZ's I believe having a law that specifically mentions open carry sets the precedent of specifically making the act of open carry itself illegal... a precedent that can be used in the future to expand where "openly carry" can be made illegal.

Folks could say I am parsing words but the truth is I am concerned that specific words have specific meanings.
No, 750.234d does not mention either open or concealed carry (exception in section 2 does mention having a license to carry concealed). It only says that you cannot possess a firearm in specific places unless you have a CPL or fit into one of the other exceptions in section 2.

Last edited:

scot623

Where in 750.234d does it specifically mention "openly carry" . Folks could say I am parsing words but the truth is I am concerned that specific words have specific meanings.

Dude, parsing words? You're being purposely obtuse. If you can't posses a firearm, you know damn well you can't open carry it. Don't become Mike Stilly, you are waaaay smarter than that.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Example were asked for where written permission was given and examples were presented. Next question.

I can also give example were I was asked to leave for OC. Next question.

The fact remains that on private property you ALWAYS needed permission to carry OC or CC.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
So whats that have to do with the fact a person starts a thread asking for a response, and when that response is full filled by the letter, but doesn't coincide with the that persons belief it gets closed?

If people are tired of hearing disagreement about this subject, then stop making multiple Threads on Multiple Sites, or stipulate that only one response per member is acceptable.

Yes, I am in favor; I was disappointed by the amount of disinformation and disingenuous replies, and felt it was time to put it down.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Can you cite this from somewhere???

Obviously, you have not read the proposed legislation you so vehemently oppose. How did you arrive at your opinion without reading it? Do you base your opinions on 'sound bites' on internet forums?

Your arguments ring hollow in light of this fact; thanks for coming out as a troll, instead of providing a thoughtful analysis of the law as written.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
locking threads and leave them as stickies? priceless! :banana::banana:

There can be value in doing that - indeed John Pierce has locked threads and intentionally left the sticky active. Simply put, it allows the thread to be read, but w/o further discussion along the lines that made it unacceptable. The obvious benefit/purpose in the sticky is to keep the item in the forefront. I see no conflict.

Nails on a chalkboard.

Actually, I just forgot to 'un-stickie' the threads. The 'nails on a chalkboard' part is priceless, though...:lol:

Gort

How many times do we need to open this board!!!!!!!! This is like the 20th post about the same topic.

OBJECTIONABLE MATERIAL REMOVED

What began as a simple exercise in understanding the 'big picture' has deteriorated into a thread full of misinformation.

Fact- under SB59, you will still be able to OC in a PFZ; it simply requires written consent from the owner or agent of the PFZ.

Fact- there never was a law that specifically legalized OC in a PFZ. It was an unanticipated juxtaposition of two laws that created an apparent loophole. This has already been described as ridiculous by a sitting judge. I don't see it as much of a stretch if this position was adopted by more.

Reasonable conjecture- those who would refuse to give written consent are the same ones who would hurl you into the street for OCing under the old loop-hole. Now, they have to post a sign, and make sure you see it.

Fact- this is the most significant piece of human rights legislation to come out of Lansing in a very long time. To get annoyed because it doesn't support your particular view of how EVERYONE else should carry their sidearm is, well, go look in a mirror. How often do OCers get pissy with CCers, and vice versa, for the same reasons? We need to accept that providing more people the legal ability to protect themselves and their loved ones is a good thing.

How will be be able to look at ourselves in a mirror if another madman perpetrates another slaughter of innocents in a PFZ, because we denied people the right to CC in a PFZ? Just because the law didn't go EXACTLY as we think it should?

Shame on you for being selfish and narrow minded, despite the facts

In a previous posting of Yours You admonish those that use the word LOOPHOLE
Very confusing you are.
Your statement from the Original Sb59 posting:
I'll say it again and I'll say it 200 more times. Our right to open carry in pistol fee zones is not a loophole or gray area. Even the anti-gun MSP agrees that it's legal. The mindset that led to this thinking comes from anti-gunners. If there is no existing law banning or criminalizing open carry then it's not a criminal act. Just because the law makers didn't take something into account when drafting laws doesn't mean it's a loophole. It's a loophole or gray area to me because they have an agenda. The fact is the more complicated and "Compromise for the greater good" we are the more messes we get ourselves in to. Criminalizing open carry is a terrible idea and greater good or not I don't support criminalizing any form of our natural rights to carry a firearm. Any firearm!

B

Bikenut

Dude, parsing words? You're being purposely obtuse. If you can't posses a firearm, you know damn well you can't open carry it. Don't become Mike Stilly, you are waaaay smarter than that.
I am not being purposefully obtuse SIR! I am expressing my concern about the actual words of "openly carry" in SB59 possibly being used as a precedent for future restrictions on openly carrying because there would be a precedent of the specific words "openly carry" making the simple act of openly carrying illegal in a law. Words have meaning and up until now the words "openly carry", and the meaning those words represent, were not specifically contained in any law.

If other people do not share this concern I can respect that.. however... that does not diminish my concern nor does the opinion of others in reference to my concern (or rude responses) make my concern invalid.

However, if there is already an MCL with the specific wording of "openly carry" or "open carry" (which I haven't found) then my concern of the wording of SB59 setting a precedent would not be valid.

After all .. if the words "openly carry" defining a crime are not in law at this time wouldn't the wording contained in SB59 set the precedent of making "openly carrying" a crime?

Last edited by a moderator:

mastiff69

Well I have been OCing since the winter of 2007, & have been to many many events all over & no one even mentioned that we had to get written permission to use there place of bussiness.

Now it seems that we had to get written permission, I could have swore that we delibertly advoided those locations so that non CPL holders could attend the events....

But as usual iguess i am wrong, as no one ever told me, or showed me any permission slips that we aquired from the owners !

It is very apparent to many of us that the tone is set in stone. The MOC org will, do as they please,
So did all members vote on it ?
Was Oc carriers in general asked their opinions, was it debated by the firearm carriers, or is this support politicaly motivated, ( and at what cost ?)

The State NEVER gives anything away, without taking 2 or more in return....
So what, are WE loosing this time !

detroit_fan

So did all members vote on it ?

Nope, the board voted on it, they were elected to make decisions on behalf of MOC.

Was Oc carriers in general asked their opinions, was it debated by the firearm carriers,

non-MOC members were not asked, but i really don't know any orgs that take direction from non-members.

or is this support politicaly motivated, ( and at what cost ?)

i would say yes. the general opinion is that by compromising and helping the CC'ers accomplish this goal of theirs that they will in turn help to support some OC legislation. a vote to oppose it may have lead to a sour relationship with the other MI 2A groups. (not saying it will play out this way, just passing along what has been said by MOC)

mastiff69

Detroit Fan, I thank you for chimming in,
These were question's that I already had the answers too, I asked these question's to get the masses (MOC) members to think about the way they are leaning & to decide for themselves if this is the way they wish to go.

I would think (IF i were a active member) that something as important as this,, that I would want a called vote, to let all the members vote on SB59, after all this is affecting all of us here !
This is not a normal vote by the board, about day to day affairs.
But hence i am no longer a voting member !

Just some food for thought,
Just asking the questions ?
As a Union Member, day to day affairs are handled by the Union,
unusual issues are brought up for vote by the Union to the members to vote on (yea or nea)

Ezerharden

As I understand it, there wasn't time for a membership vote on this 11th hour change by the .gov. So the board did what it had to do, and in honesty what they were elected to do. Granted not an ideal solution but then again it wasn't an ideal situation and the good that will come from this in the long run will outweigh the negative at the moment.

autosurgeon

Mike since you think Brian would have made a different decision as President. Perhaps you don't realize the president does not make these decisions by themselves. In most cases we include the entire leadership team in the discussion and then we have them vote with the board whether to support or not. This was not one mans decision.

scot623

I'd like to see the sentiment of people if this terrible bill was in reverse. If a bill was proposed that specifically criminalizes some part of concealed carry in order to allow open carry there would be the biggest uproar ever.

Of course you'd hear the biggest uproar ever..there are over 340,000 CPL holders!! How many people open carry? 5000? 10,000? Without the masses, the voice of the open carrier is to small to have sway, we need CCers and gun owners in general to stand with us if we want 234d repealed or car carry without a CPL. Are those not the two most important issues to OCers?

Status
Not open for further replies.