• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

visiting scott run nature preserve

Nicholas A.

I was wondering if Scott's Run Nature Preserve is a open carry friendly park, or if it is better to just not carry while out at nature preserve hiking trails

Glockster

I'm not an expert on that park but seeing as how nobody has answered yet -- that is a Fairfax County park and so the laws of VA do apply -- meaning that it has to by law be OC "friendly" (no restrictions other than what wouldn't be lawful).

riverrat10k

Check out the "stickied" thread at the top about, parks, management areas, etc. Guess the hard part is figuring out WHAT EXACTLY you are visiting. As noted above, if it is County, you are good to go. But, gee whiz, another type of Governmnet run enclave with its own rules (nature preserve) would really ruin my day!

Nicholas A.

and thats where I'm stuck, if it's a localpark or the like, I'm good. How ever if its considard to be federal or government run, then I'm SOL for open carry

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
See my above reply -- it is a Fairfax County park so OC is fine.

Can you link back to the Ffx Co Parks website?

ETA: Wait a minute. The Ffx Co website suggests a national trail runs along the Potomac River through the preserve.

EETA: I give up. The county website just goes in circles. It would seem the Scott Run Nature Preserve is a Ffx Co. park. Under the page for the deer control archery program its notated as a "new site", but no enlightment whether its a new park to the county, or new to the deer control program. I guess you'll have to call the Park Authority to find out where you can get the county-ownership information in writing.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There appears to be a serious error in the rules. Think their web site need to be updated.

"Alcohol, firearms, and metal detectors are prohibited in park areas."

The river itself belongs to the State of Maryland..........

Public parkland in the Gorge includes.....the National Park Service, Turkey Run Park, Great Falls Park, and Glen Echo Park.

In Virginia, the Fairfax County Park Authority oversees Riverbend Park and Scotts Run Nature Preserve, and there are several county
stream valley parks on both sides of the river.

Two private nonprofit conservation groups are active in the Gorge. The Nature Conservancy co–owns Bear Island, home of the popular Billy Goat Trail, with the National Park Service. Potomac Conservancy owns Minnie’s Island and administers the C&O Canal’s Lockhouse 8 Learning Center.

http://www.nps.gov/grfa/planyourvisit/upload/Potomac Gorge brochure B.pdf

NPS land and Fairfax County land are good to OC or CC - think I'd stay off of the River though.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Nicholas A.

Thank you very much. I've been doing searches through today and feel like I've been going in circles. On an unrelated topic I seem to have found a movie theater that is ok with OC, well at least the centerville location of Ravemotion theaters hasn't said anythingabout me carrying and there are no signs on the entrance

riverrat10k

Grapeshots post emphasises my frustration with some of our gun laws, even here in the great Commonwealth of VA.

Led to my request to sticky the old thread about parks, etc. Thanks! I am a hunter, fisherman, canoeist, kayaker, camper.

I hate having to worry about crossing an invisible line that may make me a felon.

Constitutional Carry!

Last edited:

Numenor

Grapeshots post emphasises my frustration with some of our gun laws, even here in the great Commenwealth of VA.

Led to my request to sticky the old thread about parks, etc. Thanks! I am a hunter, fisherman, canoeist, kayaker, camper.

I hate having to worry about crossing an invisible line that may make me a felon.

Constitutional Carry!

The only problem is that some of the old thread is outdated. That and the Commonwealth needs to clean the entire mess up and just throw it under the preemption law. All the separate different land classifications gives one a headache when figuring it out. :banghead:

riverrat10k

Agreed. Try canoeing down the Shenandoah staircase at Harper's Ferry. Three states and multiple parks and management areas. Arggh! Just having the appropriate fishing license(s) is a PITA.