• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Hoopfest and Open Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajetpilot

"companion", "therapy", etc are not service animals and they are not covered by the law.

What you get is a lot of people who "think" they know the law and make false claims as to their pet. So I spent some time to read and understand the law. I don't hesitate to call BS when it is appropriate to do so.

http://www.hum.wa.gov/FAQ/FAQServiceAnimal.html

So, what would you accept as an answer?

Q. What is a service animal?

“Service animal” means an animal that is trained for the purpose of assisting or accommodating a disabled person’s sensory, mental, or physical disability.
How about, " Lexi is trained to assist my mental disability." You can't ask what the disability is, so must you then accept the dog, or risk a law suit?

Last edited:

Metalhead47

So, what would you accept as an answer?

How about, " Lexi is trained to assist my mental disability." You can't ask what the disability is, so must you then accept the dog, or risk a law suit?

The problem with the whole ADA, re: service animals... is that there IS no official certification process. Places can ask the person for ID for disabled benefits, but there's no way to "card" the the critter. This becomes a problem when both disabled people and others learn this and use it to abuse the system.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
The problem with the whole ADA, re: service animals... is that there IS no official certification process. Places can ask the person for ID for disabled benefits, but there's no way to "card" the the critter. This becomes a problem when both disabled people and others learn this and use it to abuse the system.

No I can not ask about the persons disability.

And ajetpilot, answering your question is tough. There is far more to the answer than what you can answer here. The behavior of the customer, the behavior of the pet, the body language of the person, etc... Therefore, I am unable to answer your hypothetical question, but be assured I have rarely needed to ask and when I have I have been correct. Most of the time the pet is not under the persons complete control.

amlevin

Zazzle has everything you need to make your pet look like a service animal. I wonder if there is a law against impersonating a service animal. Hmmm...

http://tinyurl.com/64mplsn

Ans: Yup. RCW 70.84 http://tinyurl.com/684n2tp

It may be unlawful to "impersonate" but look at the "Penalties" section. The only ones subject to penalty, apparently, are those who deny accommodation, but none for those who impersonate??????

Metalhead47

It may be unlawful to "impersonate" but look at the "Penalties" section. The only ones subject to penalty, apparently, are those who deny accommodation, but none for those who impersonate??????

Ah yes... doncha just love the gov't? Heap special rights on special people.

What is it SVG is so fond of saying, "you can't legislate compassion?"

sudden valley gunner

Ah yes... doncha just love the gov't? Heap special rights on special people.

What is it SVG is so fond of saying, "you can't legislate compassion?"

Damn right! :lol:

Right up there with "there is no cure for Stupid!"

Oh there is its called survival of the fittest and natural selection yet unfortunately they are legislating against this natural cure too.:lol:

CAHOLO

It is illegal to fake a service dog

http://www.certifyyourservicedog.com/

no longer a pet, its a service animal

Fake certification papers do NOT make your pet a service dog.

Requirements:
1. The handler MUST be disabled
2. The dog MUST be trained to assist with that disability, by doing trained tasks.
3. Protection, companionship, comfort, emotional support, etc do NOT count as tasks.

Leave your pet at home. Pets are a danger to real service dogs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fake certification papers do NOT make your pet a service dog.

Requirements:
1. The handler MUST be disabled
2. The dog MUST be trained to assist with that disability, by doing trained tasks.
3. Protection, companionship, comfort, emotional support, etc do NOT count as tasks.

Leave your pet at home. Pets are a danger to real service dogs.
While it is my habit to welcome new people to OCDO (and I do welcome you), doubt you realize that you have just posted to a thread that has been dead (necro thread) for 4 years. That is generally considered bad form.

Service dog rules/laws will be different in different states/areas. Some allow service dogs "in training"; though I would not condone faking such with a pet.

Not all service dogs are for the disabled; therefore, the handler need not be disabled. As an example, consider search & rescue dogs - they need to be acclimatized to strangers and still obey commands. I have several friends that train such creatures and yes part of their training is going out in public.

Also the service dog thing is somewhat off-topic for the thread and has little to nothing to do with OC.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This is a violation of the ACA if the dog is designated as such [strike]and was wearing the required service animal ID (usually both a vest and an ID card)[/strike].

U.S. Army Service Dog
http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/ad2013_01.pdf The US Army does not provide service dogs. Per the above neither the Army nor the VA recognize emotional health/psychiatric service dogs.

Per http://www.wwcc.capmed.mil/WTB/S1 Policy Documents/Policy 21- Service Dogs.pdf The ADA does recognize psychiatric service dogs.

By a stretch it relates to OC in that it is an example of those who do not know the law making it up as they go and the need all to often to work up the food chain to get resolution. Rights need to be exercised and protected.

That being said, I think this thread drift is due for shutdown.

stay safe.

Further checking reveals that "service dog" is pretty much like "disability" - until someone documents the animal does not meet the ADA definition of service dog there is no requirement for certification. The vests/ID cards are a convenience.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
GS, lock it. Let it die. The service animal thing has changed in the last couple of years. Also stores are not enforcing it no matter how much I complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.