• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?

NewGunOwner

Heck, I'm still waiting for mine. I took the class the first week of November, and still haven't gotten mine yet. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. I mean I'm not anxious just so I can carry, but so I can go ahead and get it. Seems like all the "rules" that are in place for the instuctor and the sheriff to follow, they haven't. Within 5 working days for the instructor to turn in the results and the same for the sheriff. I turned in my info to SD, about 2 weeks before thanksgiving and they didn't send it to Frankfort till the week before Christmas. I mean c'mon man!!!

KYGlockster

Activist Member
After I completed my training, it took between 2 and 3 weeks to get my certificate back. Once I took that and my pic to sheriffs dept., I had my license in under 3 weeks. Just a guess, but I'd say they get overloaded this time of year, with folks getting gift certificates for the training course at different instructors places of business and what not. If you sent it in before Christmas, I'd bet on having it by the end of January, beginning of February.

HiPointFan

The sheriff's dept. didn't waste any time cashing their check. So I'm hoping to see them by the end of January. My wife and I both took the CCDW at the same time and she had the distinction of being the only lady in our class. She is looking forward to it as well, with her new Ruger LC9.

OutsideTheGlocks

I took the class the first week of November...

Post an update when/if you have one. I took the class the 3rd week of November. It took 25 days for a training cert to show up. I turned that in with cash to the sherif and check to the KSP 30 days ago but have not even seen any check cashing activity yet. You'd think they would want to get that money into the government coffers ASAP. I have visions of it being stuck behind someone's desk in a dusty corner of the office. :eek:

OutsideTheGlocks

I got my Flash Pak from the KSP on Saturday. Called my local Sheriff Dept today just to see if it happened to be there, and it was. Concealed carried for the first time today!!

Congrats! Well, being that I'm 2 weeks behind you in the process, it will be interesting to see if mine shows up in the next 2 weeks. I'm sure the Christmas & New Years holidays helped to slow things up a bit. Still, I'd like to see my check get cashed by the KSP so I'd know that the application made it to them.

RealBloodMoney

Applied today

I applied today for my CCDW permit and the clerk said I should receive my flash pack between six and eight weeks. She emphasized that their will be a date in the flash pack. Any time after that date I can bring the paperwork with me to the department to pick up my permit. Does any one know how much longer that date is after getting the flash packet is?

Kingarthur7

How long it takes to get CCDW License

I've been a CCDW Instructor for 14 years. It usually takes about ten days to get your certificate after you take the training. Then, when you apply for your license at the Sheriff's office, it can take six to ten weeks, depending upon how busy the Kentucky State Police office is.

OutsideTheGlocks

I applied today for my CCDW permit and the clerk said I should receive my flash pack between six and eight weeks.

Mine just came in at exactly 8.5 weeks.

Any time after that date I can bring the paperwork with me to the department to pick up my permit. Does any one know how much longer that date is after getting the flash packet is?

I had never even heard of this extra wait time until you posted this question and, sure enough, my flash pack says that I should wait an additional 10 days before I try to pick up the license. They phrase it as, "on, or about, Feb 26" which happens to be 10 days from the date of the flash pack.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you received your flash pack then you are in the system as having a valid cdwl, you just don't have your license yet. I went the day I got my pack and picked up my license, that's odd you have to wait 10 days. I got mine in the middle of a week, but the SD had my license a couple days before I received it in the mail.

OutsideTheGlocks

If you received your flash pack then you are in the system as having a valid cdwl, you just don't have your license yet. I went the day I got my pack and picked up my license, that's odd you have to wait 10 days. I got mine in the middle of a week, but the SD had my license a couple days before I received it in the mail.

Yeah, I actually knew my license number before the flash pack came because someone wrote it on my cancelled check. I'm wondering if the "on or about 2/26" statement on my pickup notice might not be a typo since 2/26 is a Sunday. Or, maybe they just automatically add 10 days to the flash pack issue date, regardless of whether that makes it fall on a weekday or weekend, and that's why they use the "on or about" language. In any event, at least I know my paperwork was not lost while I waited 8.5 weeks.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yeah, I actually knew my license number before the flash pack came because someone wrote it on my cancelled check. I'm wondering if the "on or about 2/26" statement on my pickup notice might not be a typo since 2/26 is a Sunday. Or, maybe they just automatically add 10 days to the flash pack issue date, regardless of whether that makes it fall on a weekday or weekend, and that's why they use the "on or about" language. In any event, at least I know my paperwork was not lost while I waited 8.5 weeks.

call your sheriffs office and see if they have it. i dont see why they would put a date down when no one is even in the office. if they dont have it, just go in on mon. the 27th and get your license.

hermannr

Okanogan Co, WA, 15 minutes and $55.25 cash for 5 years, at the Sheriff's office on a Thursday. Got my permit in the mail that next Monday. So, 4 days total. No training required. Took even less time to renew last May, you don't have to be fingerprinted again.

Last edited: