• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kevin Bellingham Wal-mart anti gun

jbone

What I believe Orphan is talking about is the apparent fact that you have formed some opinions about some members based on their responses to the another topic...

True, but don't all, it's part of forum discussion, there were no out of line remarks.

.. and are attempting to ever so subtly call them out for it on this topic.

That's really stretching the facts my friend!

Sorry about the highjack, but thus far I've done no more or less than any other in offering fact and opinion. Is there some unwritten rule to the forum that certain members are off limits to question, or, in exposing comments of a wishy-washy, flip-flop, or deceptive nature? There is no personal issue here folks; there was only equal reply to a like comment in topic discussion. Please stick with the facts, discard the false accusations and get back on topic. Of course I'll read any PM'S sent.

Rob, you did good as I mentioned before. We all can learn that it doesn’t always have to be pushed on the spot, there are time where backing off and conducting the inquiry later, or at a different level can also work to ones advantage. Every situation is different, that’s why I feel the hard line approach is often disadvantaged.

Jeff Hayes

What I believe Orphan is talking about is the apparent fact that you have formed some opinions about some members based on their responses to the another topic and are attempting to ever so subtly call them out for it on this topic. He is simply suggesting that if you do have issues with specific members about how they responded, that you address it privately in a PM versus publicly in this forum. I think this would be a much more civil forum if more would address issues this way.

That being said, I should follow my own advice and send this to jbone in a PM if it were not for the ounce of value I think this conversation has for the group.

SVG, thanks for the thread and for keeping us posted on the outcome. Examples like this will help others when faced with the same issue.

+1

On the other hand if Jbone does not know what I am talking about then maybe I misunderstood his posts. I will leave it at that.

sudden valley gunner

Kevin just called (Bellingham Wal-mart manager), he apologized and admitted he was wrong. Was very professional about it and courteous.

He told me his opinion a pistol isn't about killing a bear or other wildlife and was meant to kill people. And he feels that having them in his store increases the chances of people getting hurt whether good guys or bad guys (huh?).

I told him I absolutely agree with him that guns were meant to stop people, and that hunting isn't the issue with me. But disagree that it increases the danger. Told him there has even been instances at Wal-mart were people were helped by civilians with guns, and that I have personally seen the deterring effect of openly carrying.

So although he would rather we not carry, he will follow corporate policy.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
At least he was "man" enough that he called, apologized and admitted his mistake. The manager's personal opinion are frankly irrelevant to the situation. I think the next step would be to have a few folks open carry in the store over the next couple of weeks and see if there are any issues.

sudden valley gunner

At least he was "man" enough that he called, apologized and admitted his mistake. The manager's personal opinion are frankly irrelevant to the situation. I think the next step would be to have a few folks open carry in the store over the next couple of weeks and see if there are any issues.

I am there a few times a week. And I feel the same his personal feelings are moot.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You did as much as you should have done. This was exactly what happened to me in Lakewood a few years ago. Contact Regional in Puyalup and let them know what happened. Tell them you were publicly humiliated by a manager who doesn't know corporate policy.

I agree, this is a very good way to put an eviction by a manager.

Kevin just called (Bellingham Wal-mart manager), he apologized and admitted he was wrong. Was very professional about it and courteous.

He told me his opinion a pistol isn't about killing a bear or other wildlife and was meant to kill people. And he feels that having them in his store increases the chances of people getting hurt whether good guys or bad guys (huh?).

I told him I absolutely agree with him that guns were meant to stop people, and that hunting isn't the issue with me. But disagree that it increases the danger. Told him there has even been instances at Wal-mart were people were helped by civilians with guns, and that I have personally seen the deterring effect of openly carrying.

So although he would rather we not carry, he will follow corporate policy.

Good job SVG, excellent job of following up with the business.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Why, what would it accomplish? I am sure that those that live in Bellingham will continue to go about their daily business and a few will shop at this location. Seems kind of silly for guys to go out of their way just to 'see if there are any issues', the manager is eating humble pie. The manager knows that continuing down this path will just get him reprimanded by his corporate structure.

Jeff Hayes

Great job SVG, this is the way its done or at least this is the way it should be done. Dang I think I am up to owing you 4 micro brews now.

Lovenox

I guess so!

Be careful of attack from hardliners. They will not understand, and may rip you a new one for not standing your ground. To them there is no viable excuse for not standing your ground with that manager, giving up and walking away regardless of how you felt that day was a blatant desertion of freedom, you rolled over to the liberal because he said BOO! After all, your post fails to mention you being asked to leave.

You know I’m just funnin with you Rob :D, why, because I understand there are situations that do allow for personal choice, and hard line does not need to apply in every situation. Good on you for making a decision and standing by it, even though you felt bad about it.

But, I see some of the hardliners aren't ripping you like the OP in another thread for making a choice. Too bad some folks some don't give the same courtesy across the board. I mean this guy stayed armed, you left without being asked, and they're licking :p your backside. :lol:
//forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99888-approached-in-spokane-mcdonalds-playland-right-action-for-the-circumstances

Crazy how forum participants forget themselves

Looks like reading comprehension or at least a robust memory is at a premium around here. One, SVG did the right thing. Why? The person reportedly to be the manager is the Captain at the Helm and what he says goes regardless of the corporate policy. Leave then make the appropriate calls. Thats how you avoid a "scene". The incident with the OP on the other thread involved a private citizen not a hired hand of the company. A major difference and trying to compare the two is dishonest and you know that. Two, SVG himself was not in favor of the way the OP handled it in the other thread and took exception to be called "extreme".

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why, what would it accomplish? I am sure that those that live in Bellingham will continue to go about their daily business and a few will shop at this location. Seems kind of silly for guys to go out of their way just to 'see if there are any issues', the manager is eating humble pie. The manager knows that continuing down this path will just get him reprimanded by his corporate structure.

I wasn't intending for guys to out of their way. I said a "few folks". I was not meaning it to be an OC gathering. If they live near there and shop at Walmart, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they followed up on what the manager said. There have been numerous threads here about Walmart "solving" the problem, only for it to happen again shortly thereafter. I see what you're saying and agree, but what I said certainly wasn't silly. As for the manager, trust but verify.

Last edited:

jbone

Good job SVG, excellent job of following up with the business.

I couldn't agree more with that statment. Your walking away, and handling it at a more suitable time or fashion for you that day was very productive.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
That is how it is supposed to work

Originally Posted by gogodawgs
Why, what would it accomplish? I am sure that those that live in Bellingham will continue to go about their daily business and a few will shop at this location.

Sounds good to me, business as usual.
Altho I do not like the way it was instigated, kevin did well in setting it straight. I would expect him to now use this as a teaching tool for the rest of his employees.

Lovenox

Do you think he did it on his own accord or was he compelled by forces above his pay grade?

hermannr

Why would signs matter? The manager can make up the rules on the spot, no prior notice required.

In Big Box Retail this is absolutely NOT true. A "Manager", "Store Manager" whatever title you wish to give him/her will abide by corporate policy, or walk, excuse me, be assisted in their exit. It is that simple.

Wal-Mart corporate has a "follow state law" published coporate policy...local stores CANNOT do other wise. Doen't matter what their personal feelings are. They want the position, they follow corporates rules...End of discussion.