• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Okanogan Co, WA, 15 minutes and $55.25 cash for 5 years, at the Sheriff's office on a Thursday. Got my permit in the mail that next Monday. So, 4 days total. No training required. Took even less time to renew last May, you don't have to be fingerprinted again.

Fingerprinted? That seems like an unreasonable search of your person, and to exercise a constitutional right? In Ky, they don't make us do any UN-constitutional acts like requiring fingerprints. Our state constitution allows state legislators to place restrictions on concealed weapons, which is why we need 6 hours of training and a license to carry concealed. However, openly carried weapons can't be restricted, and we can OC any where we want without restriction.

09jisaac

Fingerprinted? That seems like an unreasonable search of your person, and to exercise a constitutional right? In Ky, they don't make us do any UN-constitutional acts like requiring fingerprints. Our state constitution allows state legislators to place restrictions on concealed weapons, which is why we need 6 hours of training and a license to carry concealed. However, openly carried weapons can't be restricted, and we can OC any where we want without restriction.

Woot for KENTUCKY!!!!

Side note: I took my concealed carry class February 4 and I got my certificate yesterday march the 1st. So I can go ahead and apply for my CCDW today.

PedaltoMetal

I took the class on Sept. 15th, got the certificate Oct. 6th. Applied for the permit on Oct. 9th and still waiting. 52 days so far. 76 since I took the class. The KSP deposited my check on Nov. 5th and other people from the class have already gotten theirs weeks ago. There is nothing in my background that prevents me from getting a permit so I don't know what the hold up is.

jaymack

I took the class on Sept. 15th, got the certificate Oct. 6th. Applied for the permit on Oct. 9th and still waiting. 52 days so far. 76 since I took the class. The KSP deposited my check on Nov. 5th and other people from the class have already gotten theirs weeks ago. There is nothing in my background that prevents me from getting a permit so I don't know what the hold up is.

That's not too far out of line from the timeline of several other people I know that took the class about the same time. I would suggest to call or stop by the WCSO just to make sure they havent received it.

CurtisCr79

Took my class Jan 21st and had my permit in hand on April 5th of this year. Just want to add that the day I got my info from Richmond I was at the Sheriff's office writing my checks and getting my picture taken.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It's been 10 weeks and I still don't have mine. :p

They only have ninety days to issue the license once they receive the materials. The sheriff must send the materials within five business days after receiving it.

KRS 237.110:

(9) The Department of Kentucky State Police shall, within ninety (90) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (8) of this section, either:

(a) Issue the license; or

(b) Deny the application based solely on the grounds that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in subsection (3) or (4) of this section. If the Department of Kentucky State Police denies the application, it shall notify the applicant in writing, stating the grounds for denial and informing the applicant of a right to submit, within thirty (30) days, any additional documentation relating to the grounds of denial. Upon receiving any additional documentation, the Department of Kentucky State Police shall reconsider its decision and inform the applicant within twenty (20) days of the result of the reconsideration. The applicant shall further be informed of the right to seek de novo review of the denial in the District Court of his or her place of residence within ninety (90) days from the date of the letter advising the applicant of the denial.