• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We have sex ed in schools why not gun ed?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think its a great idea but the liberals would never allow it.

I actually had this debate with a liberal about 10 years ago.

When I aked them why they opposed the idea they said "the kids are too young, teaching them about guns will encourage risky behavior and they should be taught at home about these things"

Sounded awfully familiar, haha

Not true.

Admittedly the libs messed around with it, but they left enough to be a viable program. Being as how it's a state publication there is no copyright/plagerism issue for copying it.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/guidance/safety/school_gun_safety_elementary.pdf

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not true.

Admittedly the libs messed around with it, but they left enough to be a viable program. Being as how it's a state publication there is no copyright/plagerism issue for copying it.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/guidance/safety/school_gun_safety_elementary.pdf

stay safe.

Many individuals within a community carry guns. Students need to understand which community members may publicly carry guns. The Code of Virginia at § 18.2-308 states that those who can carry a gun for their occupation or recreation include law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, and military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or any person engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest.

They could have stopped at the first sentence, right?

The characters Kevin, Jimmy, Sarah, and Roscoe are friends and live in the same neighborhood. They often play outside after school. They find a gun in the bushes and have to decide what to do

Whaaaaat? Is this an issue in this area .. you have bushes that sprout guns?

Who May Use A Gun Activity - Police Officer, Park Ranger, and Military person.

What? Are kids being contacted by the US Army?

prepare to discuss them with the class.
1. Your best friend has found a gun at the park and decides to hide it and not tell anyone.
2. Your parents are out of town and you are at home with your older brother who invited a friend over. The friend shows you a gun and states it belongs to his father.
3. Your best friend at school has been bullied for over a week by a student in another class. He has stated that he plans to bring a gun to school to scare the bully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
a. Who should you tell?
b. What will be the results of your actions?

Nobody likes a tattle-tail Jimmy .... really, more park references ....

Good example of why the gov't should just stay out of this issue

KYKevin

Schools already had gun-ed classes decades ago, and kids would bring their guns to school.

But, now schools have no-gun signs on the doors, to keep all the bad guys with guns away. :uhoh:

Man I miss the old days when I was in high school. Trucks parked in the school lot with guns hanging in the windows and no one said a word about it. Nor did any one steal them.

Esanders2008

Schools can't produce graduates that are capable of reading, writing or doing math. I doubt they could do a decent job with firearms education. Public schooling = fail.
Rant

I agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately it is difficult in my area to find a private school that doesn't also provide religious instruction. My brother went to a private school for several years, and when he eventually went to public school, he had no historical or civic knowledge, or any information on widely accepted scientific theories.

/rant

Firearms Iinstuctor

Rant

I agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately it is difficult in my area to find a private school that doesn't also provide religious instruction. My brother went to a private school for several years, and when he eventually went to public school, he had no historical or civic knowledge, or any information on widely accepted scientific theories.

/rant

Only if one see being taught morels and how to lead a godly life as wrong.

Not all private schools are the same some provides very good instruction others do not.

That is why when buying any product one has to to the research.

Esanders2008

Only if one see being taught morels and how to lead a godly life as wrong.

Not all private schools are the same some provides very good instruction others do not.

That is why when buying any product one has to to the research.

While I respect persons of all faiths, my wife and I are both atheists. Even though we don't currently have any children, we often talk about the poor quality of public education and what our alternatives might be.

Keylock

While I respect persons of all faiths, my wife and I are both atheists. Even though we don't currently have any children, we often talk about the poor quality of public education and what our alternatives might be.

The point of public schools is to teach acedemics, not morals. Sex ed, gun ed, etc. are outside the scope of the true mission of schools. I was fortunate that during my time in school I wasn't subjected to the non-acedemic crud.

Regarding private schools, as a deist I wouldn't send a kid to any that have a religious bent. I've got no use for religion either.

Home schooling seems to be the only way to ensure your kids get the exact education you want them to have these days.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My children did all three home schooled for a while , private religious school and public school.

Home schooling works well so does a private school if one finds one that suits.

Public school is a bit tougher one really needs to ground your children in ones values.

MatieA

When I was in High School we had Hunters Ed in school it was not a required class; but to pass the class you did have to do a Live Fire exercise. We brought our own guns to school and kept them in our lockers until Hunters Ed class. Of course we also went hunting on our lunch breaks and those lucky enough to shoot something were given an excused absence for the rest of the day to take it home and process it (I never got anything during lunch).
Eisenhower High School in Russel, PA

self preservation

I've heard Virginia uses the NRA's Eddie Eagle program in schools.

We have a ton of the Eddie Eagle books at the fire station stored next to the fire safety books, but I never remember a time in the 10+years that I have worked at the FD of ever passing any out. I may have to check on that.

CO-Joe

The point of public schools is to teach acedemics, not morals. Sex ed, gun ed, etc. are outside the scope of the true mission of schools. I was fortunate that during my time in school I wasn't subjected to the non-acedemic crud.

Regarding private schools, as a deist I wouldn't send a kid to any that have a religious bent. I've got no use for religion either.

Home schooling seems to be the only way to ensure your kids get the exact education you want them to have these days.

I'd argue the purpose of school is to produce adults who are capable, at the very least, of some basic level of existing in society, and less cynically, to make kids into the the leaders, innovators, business people of their generation, ultimately, to to teach kids how to become informed citizens. Sex education (and the idea of gun education proposed here) nominally, should be about the facts surrounding these things, not about whatever some religious denomination feels the implications are.

For the longest time, there were a lot of things I was sore about my experience in public education, namely the opportunities I missed because I wasn't raised in the affluent part of town, where high-school is more like a mini-college campus, and is treated as a way to ready students for college. Visiting such a campus during advanced-placement class activity, it was a real contrast to my high school, which was probably better at readying kids to work at McDonald's or Waly-Mart. College was a real culture shock, even though I was on the honor roll, I entered that phase of life totally unprepared.

Sex education wasn't one of those things I felt bad about, though, because it was treated in a no-nonsense, no ******** manner, and even though I already knew most of the things taught in that class, it's conceivable, err...probable, that some people's families shield their kids from this knowledge the same way others shield their kids from knowledge about guns. Functioning citizens need to know 1+2=3, it's the same thing with sex ed, as far as I'm concerned.

A related, anecdote I've witnessed with my own eyes: the wife of one of my cousins was so restrictive regarding her children's toys, they were never allowed anything that shot any kind of projectile. As I was growing up, I enjoyed these sliding-piston blasters which shot 1 inch foam balls, accompanied with a loud, silly popping sound. Dad and I would stalk each other around the house and tag one another for hours on end. Best toy ever, basically.

One Christmas while I was in my teens he brought the blasters and balls to the family gathering, thinking the kids would also have a lot of fun; he was chewed out on the basis that these long pink tubes were too much like guns, and that under no uncertain terms were her kids to be exposed anything like that, ever. I later taught one of the cousins to use one of my old bow and arrow sets, after he expressed interest at a Renaissance fair, and remarkably, he continues to be enthusiastic about bows and arrows. Thing is, I see in these kids that unpreparedness I felt in myself as I was entering college, except for life in general. Oh, that mother is pretty freaking religious, too. Approaching the level of the mother in Carrie.