• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

who can tell you to leave ?

lukaszu

Scenario.. You walk into a fast food joint.
The old lady behind the counter is visible uncomfortable with you OC then says weapons are not allowed and you will have to leave.
Obviously she is not the business owner nor are there any signs posted at entry.
Let's pretend this happened in Thornton ..Adams county.
So my question is this...Since private businesses have the right to deny you entry just who exactly has the ability make you leave. Is it the cashier, waitress, assistant manager, manager or the business owner?

Maverick9

Manager or person in charge or property owner. But come ON a fast food joint? Go to a different one. Don't go looking for trouble.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's not looking for trouble. I can't even figure out where that came from.

In my state, we would assume that even the door-greeter is acting as an official representative of the establishment. If he is on duty, he is de facto authorized to pass on the rules. If he is wrong, he can get in trouble with his boss. But if the cops show up, they will handle it as trespassing. You'd better hope the manager overrides him before they show up.

Maverick9

That's not looking for trouble. I can't even figure out where that came from.

Did not say or mean to imply the OP -was- looking for trouble. If you're talking the only restaurant in town, sure, try to get a ruling from the owner. Otherwise, go elsewhere when -any- employee or possible representative says 'you must leave'.

I think the OP is trying to argue 'oh there's no sign, it's legal'. But that's not correct, nor is it wise to ask for a sign. It's better to say 'ok, I'm leaving' and post the business to an anti-2A list. Arguing with the restaurant staff is like trying to try your case in front of a cop on the side of the road. It doesn't help.

Beau

Any employee should be considered a representative of the company. If asked to leave you should request to speak with a manager. If the employee is persistent then you should leave and contact the manager at another time. Why risk a trespass charge over who you think can or can not ask you to leave?

NMOCr

Having worked in retail for 13 years, I will say that anyone who is an employee, can ask anyone who is in their store to leave, if it is a lawful request (I.E. Not a protected class, such as race, color, crede, ect), for any reason. If I believe that you are causing an disturbance to other customers, I can ask you to leave. It is a lawful request.

That being said, I would leave, and call the company and ask for a member of management, and especially the district or regional manager and give them a call too and politely tell them what happened and ask them what their store's policies are. If they outright tell you that they will not allow firearms, then POLITELY tell them that you will not buy their products nor visit their store again until their policy changes.

ABOVE ALL, BE POLITE!!!