• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB holster OK for OC?

pullnshoot25

I have a friend that is planning to visit the grand state of NM but he wants to make sure that OCing a handgun in an IWB setup is kosher before packing. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
General interpretation from reading this sub-forum is that there are no special conditions attached to OC in NM.

If it is visible and identifiable as a handgun, all is good - just be aware of all carry laws.

NMBill

Yes, if...

...the gun is clearly visible. Per the statutes:

...“concealed handgun” means a loaded handgun that is not visible to the ordinary observations of a reasonable person...

Like most things gun related, there are gray areas.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Not heard of anyone using an IWB holster to open carry

Usually a CC item stick with the belt holsters, Tactical leg holsters and shoulder holsters

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Tell your friend that he should reconsider IWB without a license in NM. Where the statute is clear to you and I, unfortunately many of our LE folks have a different definition of "ordinary observations of a reasonable person". It also depends on the type clothing one is wearing, the depth of concealment the holster provides and a lot of other variables - some as simple as how much of the firearm is "concealed" by the holster IWB and your arm combined.

I've been told by several officers - including a Police Chief and a Sheriff - that if the firearm is not clearly visible, they consider it concealed.

Lastly, bear in mind that an IWB holster is designed and marketed as a "concealment holster".

I would suggest using a "concealment holster" could be deemed an attempt to skirt the law here.

Steve Aikens

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip.....

I've been told by several officers - including a Police Chief and a Sheriff - that if the firearm is not clearly visible, they consider it concealed.

Lastly, bear in mind that an IWB holster is designed and marketed as a "concealment holster".

I would suggest using a "concealment holster" could be deemed an attempt to skirt the law here.

Steve Aikens

Much erroneous information has been garnered by asking LEO's for their "opinion." Know the law and work to educate your community,

Suggesting that an IWB holster is limited by marketing terms is preposterous. Such thinking suggests that if one wears a "duty" holster, they are impersonating a LEO. :p

IWB holsters have been worn tens of thousands of times in NM in full compliance with the law. It is a matter of personal choice.

Any reference to the legality of an issue should be supported by a cite, a statute reference or court of record decision.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Thank you for setting me straight. I appreciate you probably know more about how NM LEO's may see your chosen method of carry - from VA - than I do here in NM - working with them. Although those are the LEO's that will, and have, taken firearms carriers here to task - and the judge - for exactly that.

I'll do better research in the future.

Steve Aikens

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thank you for setting me straight. I appreciate you probably know more about how NM LEO's may see your chosen method of carry - from VA - than I do here in NM - working with them. Although those are the LEO's that will, and have, taken firearms carriers here to task - and the judge - for exactly that.

I'll do better research in the future.

Steve Aikens

I care very little for how LEOs may perceive a method of carry, regardless of the state. Prefer to know and understand the laws as written for that state. When we allow misapplication, illegal detainment and/or forms of harassment to persist unabated, then we become part of the problem.

How exactly are you "working with them?"

How are LEOs in NM taking judges "to task" and for what?