• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sultan Basin

Bersa.380

Sorry if this is old news ... ...

I just read in the morning Herald that the State Board of Natural Resources made the unanimous 6-0 decision in Olympia to give 150 acres of forestland along the Sultan Basin Road to establish a Gun Range !

Pdker

I attended the DNR hearing. It was very interesting to see the a board member explaining to the nudists that protocol compels them to release the land to the county parks, that they couldn't make judgment calls as as to whether or not it could exist. The nudists clearly wanted the board to believe that there was a overwhelming opposition to this and I was glad to see that they saw through it. A victory indeed.

Tawnos

If you wear hearing and eye protection, are you still nude?

Super-Troopers.jpg

No ;)

joeroket

It is my understanding that the county has say as to whether or not a range is built. That part of it is still up in the air but I think there is overwhelming response to build one after they have shutdown a couple of the gravel pits recently.

amlevin

It is my understanding that the county has say as to whether or not a range is built. That part of it is still up in the air but I think there is overwhelming response to build one after they have shutdown a couple of the gravel pits recently.

Don't expect a "Gravel Pit" type facility.

County Executive Aaron Reardon pledged that public and private investment would one day make the county range “one of the premier outdoor shooting facilities in the nation.”

“I have always supported this project and am pleased to see it finally moving forward,” Reardon said in a prepared statement. “This project has been discussed for more than 20 years and will provide a safe location for shooting enthusiasts and hobbyists to meet.”

The county has been working to improve and promote outdoor recreation along the U.S. 2 corridor in cooperation with the state DNR, state Parks Commission and the Sky Valley Chamber of Commerce, as well as the cities of Sultan and Gold Bar.

For now, the county budget sets aside no money for the range. A six-year parks budget calls for $650,000 to develop the project.

This "facility" will more likely be something like the Kenmore or Plantation ranges with covered shooting positions and NRA type rules. NO draw from holster. Only one round loaded at a time in rifles (including AR's and AK's), No rapid fire, and under Rangemaster control at all times. Expect fees in the $10-$20 range for Snohomish County residents and more for non-residents (based on the Whatcom County Plantation Range fees).

For those who compete in any shooting sport, it will most likely attract some "noteworthy" events. For the "pit shooter", it will be a disappointment.

For now, don't expect anything soon. First the hearings. Then the Environmental Impact Statement. Expect challenges from not only the Nudists but every environmental "moon-bat" this side of the International Date Line. After all THOSE challenges are overcome then it gets down to money. The County is about the cost of one "Big Mac" from being broke due to the current economic state. Don't expect any money to be allocated to the budget for this project. There are funds available from a State "range" fund and the NRA will provide lots of design assistance but the actual construction won't be funded until the rest of the "social priorities" are taken care of first.

joeroket

I knew they were going to build a true range facility and I also know they allocated $0 for the purpose. Reardon may support it but I believe he is on his way out. Mike Hope has filed for County Executive and I feel he will edge out Reardon. He is however pro-2a so he may, if he wins, tackle the project and get it build.

Dave_pro2a

NRA type rules. NO draw from holster. Only one round loaded at a time in rifles (including AR's and AK's), No rapid fire, Expect fees in the $10-$20 range for Snohomish County residents and more for non-residents (based on the Whatcom County Plantation Range fees)..

That is all astoundingly retarded.

But very Fudd.

amlevin

That is all astoundingly retarded.

But very Fudd.

We can thank all the "slobs" that have trashed just about every gravel pit or public area where you used to be able to shoot. The ones that think it clever to haul in a bunch of junk, shoot the heck out of it, and leave it behind rather than picking up all the pieces. The ones that also think it smart to get drunk, drive out to one of these areas at night and shoot at everything they can see.

This isn't anything new, they've been around for years. When I was in High School I used to join a bunch of friends at the local garbage dump. We'd shoot rats until we were out of ammo. Nobody cared until some idiots showed up one weekend and shot up the equipment parked on site. Last time we were able to shoot at that dump was 1962.

We've got some here on this "board" that think it's neat to drive out in the woods and see if they can cut down a tree or two with their firearms and then "brag" about it on the forum.

Yeah it's retarded and F***ed Up but you know who we can thank. It's not all on the politicians either.