• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Show of hands...WHO is going to be there tomorrow (saturday tea party rally)

Jason in WI

I didn't think I was going to attend this rally as I usually have to work on Saturdays and I don't consider myself a Tea-Partyer but then I don't really know what to label myself and the Tea-Party does believe in a lot of the same things I do and they are active and trying to make a difference.

With the whole OC not allowed then allowed again it became clear I needed to go, if anything I would have stood with the counter protesters (it's their event and I respect that) if the organizers stuck to the OC ban. I thought the Tea-Party stood for freedom and personal responsibility and I admit I felt pretty let down they wanted to impose restrictions on my rights to attend their event, luckily that seems to be rectified and Nancy never did point me out to the police.

So as usual I was running late. I was hoping to take Motofixxer up on his gracious offer to car pool but, I would never have made it to his house on time. We ended up parking at 11:55 and made it to the rally just as it was starting.

We had walked past numerous people and police on the way into the rally with no issues, no one screaming or running in fear. We then made our way through the counter protesters on the lawn and I decided that I would feel more comfortable being away for dumb collage kids who might think it would be a good idea to try and provoke something, them young'ns don't think too far ahead.

Once we got in to the center sidewalk we were still pretty far back and were packed like sardines with both groups of protesters mixed together. I had Jenny stand on my right and slightly back of me to shield my sidearm from anyone coming up behind and that made me feel way more comfortable. I was very tiered by the end of the event keeping my situational awareness on overdrive, I know the odds of anything happening were very low but this is the first time I carried in suck a large group and I didn't want to take any chances.

We only got a few pics, Jenny was taking a bunch of video instead. Since I know the Internets rule, pics or it didn't happen I'll toss some up:

My view of the crowd facing forward, this was half way through the speeches we were slowly moving up the entire time.
PicofCrowd.jpg

Another pic, hard to tell but we were packed tight with no room to move! And yes that is my thumb on the top, I'm no Handy.
picofcrowd2.jpg

Tried most of the day to get a pic of me and my side arm in the crowd but there just wasn't any room!
Sidearmincrowd.jpg

My zoomed in picture of Sara Palin, don't look too hard she ran by the opening to the mic; I missed the photo. I did see her, just didn't get the pic.
PicofPalin.jpg

Finally, a group of people left the front and we had an opening as they went through Jenny happened to have her camera out and snapped this. I know you guys like sidearm shots.
InCrowd.jpg

Pics as we were leaving, I know I look like a slob, it was snowing for a bit before this pic and I stuffed my pockets with all our crap we didn't want wet. Most of the people in the pics by me are counter protesters that were talking crap to the tea-partiers as they were leaving. And no my fist wasn't for solidarity! I was frikken freezing, couldn't put my right hand in a pocket just encase.
InfrontofCapitol.jpg

When taking the last pic I noticed a group of guys in uniform checking me out, so I changed places with Jenny and she took the picture in the other direction.
Infrontofcapitol2.jpg

One really cool thing was there was a women making her way through the crowd (really hard work I might add)with a petition for CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY! She seen my gun saves lives button and said you want to sign this I hope? I turned and exposed my sidearm and said you damn right! We got a chuckle out of that along with the people I was standing right next to who didn't notice even though we had been rubbing up on each other for almost an hour. I did ask her if she ran into any other OC'rs and she said no :cry:.

So no one running in fear, or crying. I was a little concerned because I found on a counter-protest Facebook page that they were telling people if they see a gun Madison PD wants them to call 911 :mad:.

The only negative thing I had was on the way to the car two guys were following us and when they noticed my sidearm they started talking about guns and what-not and I hear one of them say "you would think with guys carrying guns around the chuckle heads on the other side wouldn't be acting so obnoxious". Now I think I can speak for most here when I say I don't carry a firearm to intimidate or project a threat of any kind, I was a bit disappointed when I heard people from our "team" imply something like that. We have lots of educating to do. The entire time I was there I was as nice as could be. Even telling a women who had A funny Anti-Walker sign that while I didn't agree with the message I thought it was very funny and it looked like she had put a lot of effort into making it, between me being nice and her seeing my sidearm she looked a bit confused.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

The only negative thing I had was on the way to the car two guys were following us and when they noticed my sidearm they started talking about guns and what-not and I hear one of them say "you would think with guys carrying guns around the chuckle heads on the other side wouldn't be acting so obnoxious". Now I think I can speak for most here when I say I don't carry a firearm to intimidate or project a threat of any kind, I was a bit disappointed when I heard people from our "team" imply something like that. We have lots of educating to do. The entire time I was there I was as nice as could be. Even telling a women who had A funny Anti-Walker sign that while I didn't agree with the message I thought it was very funny and it looked like she had put a lot of effort into making it, between me being nice and her seeing my sidearm she looked a bit confused.

Good report Jason!

I agree, even people on 'our' side don't seem to get it.

Concealed carry advocates think we are showing off, 'supporters' of the 2nd do the same.

That was the point I was trying to get across to the folks I was discussing with on Facebook. I don't carry because it's a fashion accessory, I don't carry to make others feel frightened/comfortable, I carry because it is becoming as familiar to me as putting on my pants. You wouldn't want me there without my pants, would you?

It will be a process but I think we make small strides every time someone sees us and we don't make a big deal of it.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
Ditto. I can understand a liberal calling the cops, but a tea party leader?

Maybe an analogy would help explain how this felt. When an enemy talks smack about you, it pisses you off but you expect it. But when a friend talks the same smack, you feel betrayed. That is how I felt. Sorta betrayed.

I mean, I walked up and down State St. which is full of liberals for 2 days and noone called the cops on me, but if I go to a tea party rally and one of our own would call the cops. You know how messed up that is. effin unbelievable.

I think she has the Madison "guns are evil" mentality due to the Madison environment she resides in. I think she would have a different attitude if she did a little shootin'.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=24349

Last edited: