• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Living Museum

grylnsmn

I will be in New Port News this week end and was wonder if you can carry at the Living Museum. I was planning on taking the wife up there.

I was there a year ago with my family. They didn't have any signs prohibiting carry, but I had to CC because otherwise my 67-year-old aunt would have caused a scene. (She's even lectured me for carrying in my own home.) I'm not going to change her mind, and it's easier to just keep it hidden when she's around.

They do have a permit to serve alcohol on premises (in their cafe), which limited where I could go at the time (and nearly caused a scene with my older sister), but that's no longer an issue.

wikieod

I will be in New Port News this week end and was wonder if you can carry at the Living Museum. I was planning on taking the wife up there.

I was there last Friday and spent about 5 hours (with 4 kids), and no looks or comments. There were also about 1000 elementary school kids running around, and nobody said a word. The Museum is really interesting. I can't wait to go back, even the 4 year old had a great time.

TFred

I was there a year ago with my family. They didn't have any signs prohibiting carry, but I had to CC because otherwise my 67-year-old aunt would have caused a scene. (She's even lectured me for carrying in my own home.) I'm not going to change her mind, and it's easier to just keep it hidden when she's around.

They do have a permit to serve alcohol on premises (in their cafe), which limited where I could go at the time (and nearly caused a scene with my older sister), but that's no longer an issue.

Why would their permit limit where you could go?
He was CC'ing for other reasons, and it was before the new law took effect. I assume he means that he could not carry concealed onto the premises of where they were licensed to serve alcohol.

TFred

grylnsmn

Why would their permit limit where you could go?

Because, as I said, it was a year ago (before the new restaurant carry law went into effect), and I was staying concealed because I didn't want to have a scene with my aunt. As a result, when my family wanted to get lunch in their cafe, I stayed outside "enjoying the weather".

I would have just gone with open carry had my aunt not been there. (She's deathly afraid of guns in general, and no amount of convincing her will change that. She's too set in her ways.)

Personally, I consider familial harmony to be a higher priority than firearm advocacy. I'm not going to go out of my way to cause conflict with my family when we were supposed to be on vacation.

grylnsmn

ok thanks I do have a CHP I think I will CC since I am new there.

I would recommend that unless they have posted the building or otherwise indicated that carry is discouraged, you just OC and go about your business. (I, of course, am not recommending that you ignore a posted sign indicating the wishes of the property owner.) If you get there and don't feel comfortable with OC for some reason (such as how I avoided it to prevent an issue with my aunt), then switch to CC. From what I saw, the staff wouldn't have had a problem with OC, and that would match what wilkieod experienced last Friday.

Just don't decide to poach any of the animals, and you should be fine.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

grylnsmn

That's what I thought you were getting at, but remember that the old law only prohibited CC in "restaurants and clubs". The ABC license for the Living Museum designates them as a "museum". CC would have been fine....but again, all water under the bridge now.

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=licenseedata&license=49000

I CCed in the museum, but I avoided the cafe portion (on the assumption that it would fall under the definition of a restaurant), to be on the safe side. After all, I didn't want to be a test case for the old law two months before the new one went into effect.

TFred

That's what I thought you were getting at, but remember that the old law only prohibited CC in "restaurants and clubs". The ABC license for the Living Museum designates them as a "museum". CC would have been fine....but again, all water under the bridge now.

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=licenseedata&license=49000
Should'a known you were fishing for something like that! :) As he noted... who wants to try to explain that nuance to the LEO at the time... :)

TFred

2a4all

VLM is a Private Corporation

A renewal of their lease of a portion of the land they use will be discussed at the next Newport News City Council Meeting (7/12/2011). The opening paragraph is here:

THIS LEASE, made this​
12th day of July, 2011, by and between CITY OF NEWPORT NEWS, a Municipal Corporation in the Commonwealth ofVirginia, hereinafter referred to as “City”and the VIRGINIA LIVING MUSEUM, INC., a non-profit, non-stock corporation organized and existing under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, hereinafter referred to as “Lessee.”

Supposedly, the Museum could post the property as "no carry".