• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reaching for wallet/keys

sbuff

May be a question that has been answered, if so pls delete the thread.

I am left handed, keep keys in front left pocket, holster on left hip, and wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob? Do I go back to being a right-hand shooter as originally taught, or do I keep reaching for keys/wallet in the general direction of my weapon? Or go back to CC and no one would know the difference?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Right handed people have the same problem. Only, the sides are reversed.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaching near a gun is not reaching for a gun. Anybody who can't tell the difference should maybe not be allowed in public.

Think about it. You reach in the same general direction as your gun. But, by the time an observer could [strike]over[/strike]react, your hand has already passed the gun and arrived at your wallet pocket or keys pocket.

The one exception would be a cop during a detention. I would move just a little slowly. Don't wanta get shot by the partner behind me who has already illegally drawn his gun when there was no need, and over reacts by not noticing you didn't actually draw your gun.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
May be a question that has been answered, if so pls delete the thread.

I am left handed, keep keys in front left pocket, holster on left hip, and wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob? Do I go back to being a right-hand shooter as originally taught, or do I keep reaching for keys/wallet in the general direction of my weapon? Or go back to CC and no one would know the difference?

My advice. It's not a problem. Just reach for your wallet as you would if you weren't carrying a gun. I have carried my wallet and pistol strong-side for several years without an issue. If you are confronted by an LEO you might want to tell him what you're doing if he asks for ID. (Let's assume he has legitimate RAS for the purpose of this answer). Shoot with whatever hand you are most proficient.

Why would you go back to CC? That's just silly and I mean that in a nice way. Were you expecting someone on THIS site to tell you to CC?...:D

Marco

wallet in left rear pocket. See my prob?

Yeah, you're carrying your wallet in your rear pocket, the front pocket is a much better/safer place.
Safe yourself yrs of backpain and making a pick pockets day.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yeah, you're carrying your wallet in your rear pocket, the front pocket is a much better/safer place.
Safe yourself yrs of backpain and making a pick pockets day.

Because there are so many pickpockets out there...Aladdin, Artful Dodger, :D. I wouldn't worry about that too much. I you are getting pickpocketed you'd better work on your situational awareness. To me it's more of a pain to dig something out of my front pocket.

Badger Johnson

If I was carrying on the hip, I'd have the wallet in the chest pocket. When I back pocket carry the wallet, I usually pat both back pockets looking for it - want to avoid that. When driving, have insurance, permit license all ready to produce in a packet. Hell, practice it a couple times.

$.02

USNA69

An Option for ID Carry

When I am carrying, I place my driver's license (and, when needed, my CHP) in a shirt pocket.

Thus, if I have to produce ID and/or CHP for a LEO, my hands are nowhere near my firearm.

Just a thought ...

gm2max

when I can, i carry wallet in chest pocket, when not, in Right back pocket, cell phone in front left pocket, and keys in right front pocket. I am a RH man, and carry the gun on my right hip, and 2 extra Mags on my left Hip. I never thought of someone mistaking me for drawing my weapon when i really reach for my wallet. On the other hand, the only time i use my wallet is when im at a cash register buying beer or something. At that point, it is a given that I have to get my wallet out.

Marco

Well maybe not around here, in larger more crowded places it happens frequently.
I've seen some of the best operate, it's even hard to tell what their doing on video.

Still save your back move it to the front.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I trust your opinion as a licensed instructor, but what is the reasoning behind it?

ProShooter may be certifiable, but as far as we know nobody has ever bothered to pay the $2.00 for his license.

As for your question, a moment's pondering would help you understand why you don't want your hand passing near your gun - or at least not when anywhere near a ferry.:uhoh:

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I trust your opinion as a licensed instructor, but what is the reasoning behind it?

If you are carrying concealed, you don't want your cover garment to move or be brushed away, exposing your gun....

Also, if you are being robbed and reaching for your wallet, the bad guy's focus is on the wallet. Getting your wallet out now becomes a distraction technique while you draw your gun....he'll never see it coming.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
If you are carrying concealed, you don't want your cover garment to move or be brushed away, exposing your gun....

Also, if you are being robbed and reaching for your wallet, the bad guy's focus is on the wallet. Getting your wallet out now becomes a distraction technique while you draw your gun....he'll never see it coming.

Gotcha. I guess OC negates the first point. The second point has some serious merit. I never thought of it that way. Thanks!!!!!!!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm right handed and carry just forward of the point of my hip. This makes it difficult to get into my right front pocket where I carry my pocket knife...but it's never been a problem.

I carry my wallet and my ID case in my left rear pocket and my money in my left front pocket.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

But, if you're Open Carrying, you don't get robbed in the first place...