• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Duty cop mistakes son for intruder. Shoots and kills him.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Cops kill more friendlies than the normal citizen does and citizens kills more non-friendlies than the cops.

Cops' accuracy is less than the average citizens' as well.

All that "training" the cops get and they still continue to kill kill kill people who should not be killed.

Given all this, it comes down to mentality .. cops think they can shoot with abandon because the law will do nothing to them.

This event should be no surprise to anyone.

This cop may kill again (how many kids does he have?).

Ca Patriot

I am not buying the cops story.

Article says the cop as hospitalized. Why ? Sounds to me like there was an altercation between the two.

Secondly, this was at a hotel. Hotel rooms are small. Usually a registered guest gets 1 or 2 entry cards. The father should know who has the cards.

If the son was using an entry card then the father is the biggest idiot on the planet.

If the son didnt have an entry card dont you think he would have knocked or called his dad to open the door ?

MKEgal

The original article has very little more information:
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/rochester_man_shoots_and_kills.html
But I agree that something doesn't seem right.
Did he come through a window? Did they leave the door open?
Either one would make it reasonable to assume that someone in the room was an intruder.
But if he had a key or card, dad got some 'splainin to do.

And why was he carrying his work tool while off duty? If he's not at work, or on his way to/from in uniform, he should have his own personal defensive device.
If it's found that this was not an accident, I hope that gun is treated just like any regular citizens' property used in a crime - melted down.

HankT

State Researcher
...was returning to the motel room about 12:50 a.m. when Michael Leach, 59, heard him coming through the door ...

...for a medical evaluation. Troopers said he’ll be taken back into custody upon release.

...father and son were part of a group of police who drive to the area on motorcycles for a long-weekend getaway,

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_ab7d3ec0-d394-11e1-abb8-001a4bcf887a.html

===

...thought his son ... was an intruder when he shot him around12:50 a.m. inside the motel room, police said.

Details about exactly how the shooting unfolded and how many times the victim was shot were not available Saturday...

At first, paramedics could not find an entry wound to the victim, but it then was located in the right back area...

More details involving the investigation should be available by Monday, he said.

http://www.uticaod.com/features/x42015524/Western-NY-man-shot-killed-at-Old-Forge-hotel