• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Texan Online - Make open carry legal for every Texan

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.thetexanonline.com/2010/11/08/have-texans-become-cowards

SNIP

Here’s my TEXAN solution to security at the Capitol. First, repeal all the gun laws and make concealed or open carry legal for every Texan. Take the money that was spent on the metal detectors in all public buildings and have the Texas Rangers start giving free classes to the public every week on gun safety and proficiency at the Capitol and around the state.

Let’s empower Texans to be Texans and take care of ourselves. After all, don’t Texans pride themselves on being independent and self-sufficient? Texans look out for each other and let everyone else know, You Don’t Mess with Texas.

Walt_Kowalski

I commented:

As a Virginian with family in Texas, I must admit I was very surprised to learn that the freedoms I enjoy in VA (Open Carry) are not permitted in the great state of Texas. I’m glad that my Virginia CHP is honored in Texas, and can defend myself, and my family if needed when visiting Texas.. but I’d rather not have to even have the bad guy try. Let him see my openly carried gun… he’ll move onto someone easier. All the time that I have open carried, no one has run away from my screaming in fear. I have had a few questions from some folks, and after explaining to them that what Open carry was, they were glad to know that THEY TOO had the same rights as I enjoy.

Navy Desert Doc

http://www.thetexanonline.com/2010/11/08/have-texans-become-cowards

SNIP

Here’s my TEXAN solution to security at the Capitol. First, repeal all the gun laws and make concealed or open carry legal for every Texan. Take the money that was spent on the metal detectors in all public buildings and have the Texas Rangers start giving free classes to the public every week on gun safety and proficiency at the Capitol and around the state.

Let’s empower Texans to be Texans and take care of ourselves. After all, don’t Texans pride themselves on being independent and self-sufficient? Texans look out for each other and let everyone else know, You Don’t Mess with Texas.

As a born and bred Texan, former D/FW, Texas cop and Iraqi war vet Corpsman I say...HERE! HERE! HAZZAH!
*(Insert your choice of noise of excited approval here!)
Remember, an armed society is a what?

...POLITE society!

Great post!

JBarL

This is what I wrote the website. I hope I made it perfectly clear lol

In the hot months here in Texas it is hard to actually conceal a firearm properly without looking to obvious, There is alot of States that have the open carry in place. We heard the Stories from the media when the CHL was introduced ” Saying its going to be the wild west days again, blood in streets everyone shooting each other” I have not seen that to be the case. Statistics Shows the Crime Rate of those who Have a CHL
Doesn’t Committ crimes. But yet you look at the statistics on non- CHL holders the crime is way up there.
Texas needs to get with the times And Let US Law abiding citizens Carry openly without the fear of Violating any Laws That seems to be implemented and goes against OUR Constitutional rights. the Second Amendment states that a Person has a right to keep and bear arms. along with a few wording that somehow has disappeard from the Document. I just think Its time to either make up a bill and run it through legislation on open carry or Vote people into office that will listen to US and make it happen. the Choice on open carry Should be the Citizens OF the Great State Of Texas, Not the polititcians Who sit in office Denying OUR rights.

davist

IS TEXAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST GUN FRIENDLY STATE IN THE COUNTRY???!!! Why in the hell would Texas legislation be so darned stubborn when it comes to listening to the citizens. Ive held Gov. Perry in very high regard since he took his seat. He always seemed like a down to earth, like minded individual. I know he said that he would sign any open carry bill that crossed his desk if it was put there but recently im starting to doubt the back bone of anyone in a seat of power for this glorious state. Where in the heck was the push from legislation to get that bill on the calender??? Kinda makes me wonder if it was intentionally drafted late as if to shoot any chance of it hitting the floor in the head! And now, unless we go through the courts, the next session where this bill has a chance is in 2013!!! I tell ya if we have to wait two more years for this bill to hit the house of reps. and the senate we need to be doin all we can to make sure it gets drafted, signed, sponsored, passed, how ever the order goes, as early as possible before 2013. That way if it dosent make the calender then, then we know the higher-ups in this state are gunna have alot of 'splainin' to do and answer the question to us concerned citizens as to why the support is not there. And then if we dont like the answer id think its time to elect some people who understand what the terms constitutional or GOD GIVEN right means. Without the support from our reps. and sens. we cant hope to accomplish anything to make this state what it needs to be as far as our rights.............YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

pooley

IS TEXAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE MOST GUN FRIENDLY STATE IN THE COUNTRY???!!! Why in the hell would Texas legislation be so darned stubborn when it comes to listening to the citizens. Ive held Gov. Perry in very high regard since he took his seat. He always seemed like a down to earth, like minded individual. I know he said that he would sign any open carry bill that crossed his desk if it was put there but recently im starting to doubt the back bone of anyone in a seat of power for this glorious state. Where in the heck was the push from legislation to get that bill on the calender??? Kinda makes me wonder if it was intentionally drafted late as if to shoot any chance of it hitting the floor in the head! And now, unless we go through the courts, the next session where this bill has a chance is in 2013!!! I tell ya if we have to wait two more years for this bill to hit the house of reps. and the senate we need to be doin all we can to make sure it gets drafted, signed, sponsored, passed, how ever the order goes, as early as possible before 2013. That way if it dosent make the calender then, then we know the higher-ups in this state are gunna have alot of 'splainin' to do and answer the question to us concerned citizens as to why the support is not there. And then if we dont like the answer id think its time to elect some people who understand what the terms constitutional or GOD GIVEN right means. Without the support from our reps. and sens. we cant hope to accomplish anything to make this state what it needs to be as far as our rights.............YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

You'd be amazed how little of the Pro-gun Texas concept is actually true. Right now there are about 43 states that allow some form open carry for the common citizen and Texas is not one of them. (California is, as long as it's unloaded) All we have is that nice little undefined, open to interpretation traveling exception. But how do I know when I'm traveling? How can I convince the state trooper I'm traveling? What exactly IS traveling? Unfortunately, you never know the answers to those questions until the judge tells you after hopefully just one night in jail. Then even if you beat the wrap there's a firearms-related arrest on your record.

Some parts of TX aren't so bad. Some places the local LE are pretty laid back & understand you're not out there trying to stir up trouble. These are the fears we live with in my area though. Under certain conditions I have OC'ed beyond my property line locally & enjoyed it. Those are typically very specific circumstances & not something I can practice on a semi-regular basis.

I do make it a point to carry my grandpa's 1911 on my hip whenever I can do it without fear of it being wrongfully seized.

Last edited:

davist

Here Here!
I know in the town where i grew up (2000 people) and the surrounding area, law enforcement was pretty laid back and fair as far as firearms in your vehicle. Once, shortly after turning 21 and buying my first handgun, i hadnt gotten my concealed weapons permit yet. Me and my wife were at a football game and being curious about the convoluted guns in your car law i asked a police officer standing at the gate what was allowed. His response was, "As long as its out of sight and only in the reach of the driver, it doesent matter if its loaded or not. Just be sure you let the cop know if you get pulled over that you have a firearm in the vehicle. If i were you I'd carry it in my vehicle at all times just be careful driving into different counties where you dont know the cops as well. They all have different opinions of what they allow." So thats the only thing ive ever heard as a "definite" answer from law enforcement, but like i said thats coming from a small town where everyone and there dog has a shotgun, rifle or handgun in there truck so it was kindof a given for law enforcement to assume that you had one somewhere if they pulled you over. To me it sounds like a fair enough explanation of the law to pertain to the entire state. If its concealed in your car, not concealed on your person, only in the reach of the person that has control of the car, and you are upfront and open about it to law enforcement so there are no surprises then i dont see what the problem would be. He said i didnt need a concealed weapond permit to have it in my car period, traveling or not. Im gunna have to pour through the penal code again to confirm this information. Please dont take this as law but only as one small town cops opinion of what was ok when asked directly. Due to financial issues when i was getting ready for my first son to be born i sold that pistol. Now im ready to purchase again but i would like to wait, if possible, for an open carry law. That way my options on size and caliber are broadened and i dont have to settle for a sub compact. Like i said im a little guy and a full size 1911 doesent conceal well for me. Your thoughts.

Damiansar-15

agree

Davist-

I agree with you completely... Our pro-gun Texans need to rally and become the most free gun State and not one of the most restrictive. The problem I see is that a lot of our gun slinging society is fine with licensing rights and restricting how one should protect themselves, this is especially the case with Rick Perry. Writing our elected officials can only do so much and I am not sure if Texas truly has enough interest from our gun community to make a change like other States, e.g. Arizona. I don't know about you, but I am sick of paying for an illegal license tax and compromising my rights in order to stay out of criminal litigation situation...

JBarL

I'm Gonna host a open carry Bar-B-que on my place as soon as it cools off a little more no beer or liquor tho its just gonna be alot of big guns and good meat lol... and hope to get the media out so we can tell our stories to get legislation to pass it lol.

rushcreek2

This recent (July) discussion on this thread is exactly what is representative of what is needed to turn things around in Texas. You have got to get energized down there. Texas is at a cross-roads between Kalifornia vs Arizona/ Montana, Wyoming, Alaska. What's it going to be ?

davist

Got a phone call response from Mac Thornberry's office this weekend. I had emailed him to get the opinion of the man for my district. The guy that called was not Mac Thornberry of course but was his legislative assistant. This man told me that Mr. Thornberry is very much PRO 2nd amendment and would himself like to see an open carry bill passed in Texas. He informed me that the already drafted open carry legislation was pending in the state legislature due to it missing the calender for session in congress. Not to sure what exactly that means for the bill but it kinda seems like it may not be in the cards until 2013??? That would be a shame. Well, atleast i got a more or less, direct response from a representative ont his issue. I would assume that as good news since it tells me that they are willing to hear us about it. Alright, On to Kel Seliger to put a bug in his ear. Ill report back to let you know how that goes. Would like to sit down face to face with him and Thornberry at some point but i dont know how much pull a 24 year old wind turbine tech with 2 kids has but i reckon its worth a shot.

pooley

davist, just call or write to set up an appointment and I'm sure they will both meet with you. Probably not at the same time, though.

I'm not entirely sure they even could meet together with you. I don't know what sort of rules they're bound by outside of a session.

davist

Oh, well that's good to know. That you could do it, not that it didn't help....

Thanks for the info. Ill take seperate meetings if need be. In all actuality it might be better to do it one at a time to get a true opinion of the individual big wig instead of having one influence the other if that happened to be the case. Well maybe its worth a shot, like i said i dont know how much pull i could possibly have but what is there to lose? The most they could do is make it a waste of my time but then again im an optimistic person and maybe they will actually sit and listen to the little people in the state and take whats said to heart. Thanks again, Ill let you all know what happens if i do get an appointment with them and then relay back here after the conversation if it takes place.
Any thoughts on specific topics to bring up relating to Open Carry apart from the obvious pros and cons of the law if it were to be passed?

pooley

Thanks for the info. Ill take seperate meetings if need be. In all actuality it might be better to do it one at a time to get a true opinion of the individual big wig instead of having one influence the other if that happened to be the case. Well maybe its worth a shot, like i said i dont know how much pull i could possibly have but what is there to lose? The most they could do is make it a waste of my time but then again im an optimistic person and maybe they will actually sit and listen to the little people in the state and take whats said to heart. Thanks again, Ill let you all know what happens if i do get an appointment with them and then relay back here after the conversation if it takes place.
Any thoughts on specific topics to bring up relating to Open Carry apart from the obvious pros and cons of the law if it were to be passed?

Perhaps that the minutes from when the TX constitution was written clearly shows that the "...but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime." in our bill of rights was a compromise in wording meant to address their ability to limit the wearing of concealed weapons, not all carrying. Open carry is a means of showing people "yes, I have a weapon. Do yourself a favor and don't try to mug me." You're not out looking for trouble so you have no reason to hide it.

davist

Perhaps that the minutes from when the TX constitution was written clearly shows that the "...but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime." in our bill of rights was a compromise in wording meant to address their ability to limit the wearing of concealed weapons, not all carrying. Open carry is a means of showing people "yes, I have a weapon. Do yourself a favor and don't try to mug me." You're not out looking for trouble so you have no reason to hide it.

Seems to me like that part that says "with a view to prevent crime" would be the first no brainer in this situation. Open carrying would be a crime deterrent and a sure fire way to prevent crime. Why is that one line not being looked at more closely in the TX constitution? I completely agree Pooley, "yes i have a gun, do yourself a favor and dont try to mug me." Sounds like a view from the people to prevent crime but not from the legislature if they dont ever pass an open carry bill. Im not quite sure i comprehend why its so hard to see that if you have a gun on your hip then a crook is gunna go looking for an easier target. In the words of a very wise man on this forum, "preferably one of those leftie, gun hating, baby killing, gay marriage loving democrats" that are trying to say that its the guns that are evil and not the person using it criminally. Im sure theres plenty of those people walking around whose only defense would be "please mister dont take my money, rape my wife or kidnap my children! I dont like guns, can you put that thing away? Besides im a push over, just talk tough to me and ill roll over and give you everything dear to me and ive worked my whole life for. Guns are not needed, they are evil, you are not mister kidnapper, rapist, burglar man!" GIVE ME A BREAK!!! How about this defense, "Clack, Clack! Now put your weapon on the ground, Hands on your head, get down on the ground, arms out, turn your hands palms up and legs apart!! If you move i will consider it a threat to my life and i will kill you!" 911 dialed, cops arrive, mister kidnapper, rapist burglar man hand-cuffed, statement taken and you return home with all your possesions. Score: Law abiding, open carrying citizen- 1, Bad guy with illegal firearm and daddy issues- 0.