• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting point from a CC'er

twoskinsonemanns

In this way luck plays a little role. I happen to be working nights. Either my wife or I am at home almost 24/7.
Just yesterday I got a text... "opened the hand safe (3 button combo on a 4 button safe- easy as hell in pitch black), carried miss piggy (our "ready for action" snub-nose 357 mag :) ) for a little while cause I heard a strange noise. Turned out to be nothing."

and this is our best defense against theft. I understand this isn't fundamental advice, just our specific situation. ONE of us is home almost 24/7. We both have readily accessible tools available based on the perceived threat. (I happen to carry ~%100 the time I'm at the house) But we both have immediate access to fully loaded shotguns, mag-powered hand guns, AKs, ARs, depending on the threat. No one is taking our defense tools without major losses. :D

Aknazer

Ah but that also means that the bad guys can't scout their house and figure out a reliable time to hit their house. So either they sit there and wait till that rare time, or they move on to an easier target. Personally I have multiple guns out in my house. My edc is almost always out, we have a bedside shotty, and I have an AUG on a shelf as display (its functional but I pull the trigger pack out of it when its on the shelf). I have no concern about someone breaking into our house to steal any of those guns, and if I am concerned (such as when I go on vacation) we put them in a heavy safe.

I figure if they want what I have bad enough they will figure out a way to get it regardless of what I do. So I take some precautions (safe, alarm system) but I'm not going to go to extremes or waste too much time worrying about it.

WhatTimeIsIt?

I just want to say that this type of mind set is more society induced worthless bologna. No one should ever feel personal guilt if your property is illegally, forcefully taken from you and then used to commit a crime. This is nothing more than anti 2A indoctrination. There could always be an indirect link from your actions to the suffering of someone else. Allowing this kind of mindset is not fair to you, or me, and playing into the anti's hands.

+1 My moral stature will never depend upon somebody else's actions.