• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Has anyone applied for CPL without a Washington State Driver's License of State ID?

amlevin

RCW 9.41.070 states:

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours

Has anyone applied and either not had a Valid Washington State Driver's License of State ID card? If so was there any hassle or refusal to accept the application? Any delay beyond the 60 day mark?

Just wondering.

1245A Defender

well,,,

yes,,, and no...
out of state visitors have often gotten ,, same day CPLs in Silverdale!
anybody that is right with the law will get it in 60 days.
if you have a CPL from another state, you will probably get in sooner.

amlevin

yes,,, and no...
out of state visitors have often gotten ,, same day CPLs in Silverdale!
anybody that is right with the law will get it in 60 days.
if you have a CPL from another state, you will probably get in sooner.

I was more interested if someone walked in and said "I have no ID" period, and what their experience was.

hermannr

I think what they are looking for is a photo ID to cross check to see if you are who you say you are. I personally know, if you are an non-resident alien, a passport works. (but then you may have to wait up to 60 days.) But then that is covered in 9.41.173

May have been more relivant before the instant fingerprint matching software was available. May still be relivant with someone that has never been fingerprinted.

amlevin

I think what they are looking for is a photo ID to cross check to see if you are who you say you are. I personally know, if you are an non-resident alien, a passport works. (but then you may have to wait up to 60 days.) But then that is covered in 9.41.173

May have been more relivant before the instant fingerprint matching software was available. May still be relivant with someone that has never been fingerprinted.

Regardless of what "They are looking for" it appears on it's face that the law does not require ANY form of ID, picture or not, but merely provides the agency an additional 30 days to "vet" the applicant.

Tawnos

When I applied, I had not been here long and hadn't yet gotten my DL. I applied for an out of state CPL. Three days later, I went to the DOL and got my driver's license. A week and a half later, my resident's CPL came in the mail... *shrug*

bikemutt

I was more interested if someone walked in and said "I have no ID" period, and what their experience was.

I could be wrong here but with no ID period even getting fingerprints done in order to apply could be difficult. I know I had to show ID before Renton PD would 'print me, same for Okanogan County Sheriff.

j2l3

When I applied, I had not been here long and hadn't yet gotten my DL. I applied for an out of state CPL. Three days later, I went to the DOL and got my driver's license. A week and a half later, my resident's CPL came in the mail... *shrug*

In Washington, there is no distinction between resident and non-resident CPL's. All that is different is the time frame to issue and the address that appears on the license. Other than that, everyone gets the exact same document.

Tawnos

In Washington, there is no distinction between resident and non-resident CPL's. All that is different is the time frame to issue and the address that appears on the license. Other than that, everyone gets the exact same document.
Right, but when I went in to apply, they said I had to wait until I had my WA DL before I could apply. I then said "well, let me apply as a non-resident then". I don't recall if there was a checkbox for that or not. Either way, I was applying "without a Washington State DL or State ID".

amlevin

Right, but when I went in to apply, they said I had to wait until I had my WA DL before I could apply. I then said "well, let me apply as a non-resident then". I don't recall if there was a checkbox for that or not. Either way, I was applying "without a Washington State DL or State ID".

Sounds like they didn't know the law. I would score that under the "hassle" column.

bikemutt

Isn't that the purpose of the fingerprints? To establish identity?

I'd think so. It might be illustrative to walk in, pay the fee, then tell the finger printer you have no ID, I'm not sure what they'd do.

The complement of proving who you are is proving who you are not.

amlevin

It would be very interesting for someone to apply for a CPL without offering an identification document and whose fingerprints were not on file. It would be interesting to see if the courts would issue a Writ of Mandamus to order the sheriff the issue the CPL in that case. It certainly appears as if no identification is required to obtain the CPL.

Since the stated purpose of a CPL is to prevent those with criminal records from carrying concealed it is only logical that prints would be on file for the criminals. Unless one has served in the Military or had prints taken for a Government Security Clearance, the chances of anyones prints already being on file are nil.

Just out out of curiosity, just what would the penalty be for any Sheriff or Police Chief who refused to issue? Doesn't seem to be one spelled out in the Statute?

amlevin

RCW 9.41.0975 says that if the Court grants the person the Writ of Mandamus and orders the Sheriff to issue the CPL, than that person will be awarded their attorney's fees and costs. I don't know if that comes from the Sheriff or the state of Washington, though:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.0975

Thanks.

This places the penalty for the Sheriff or Police Chief's actions on the taxpayers. It would sure be more appropriate if the penalty was "loss of job".