• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in their own driveway?

Betty_Rose_Brown

My father and his wife were robbed at gunpoint in their driveway in a Portsmouth neighborhood (Briarwood Lane) about 20 years ago. In his case, if he'd been carrying a firearm on his body, it never would have happened.

He and his wife were leaving the Circle Restaurant (all dressed up and driving a brand-new Cadillac) when some miscreant - watching them from the shadows - followed them home from the restaurant, and robbed them in the driveway.

After stealing their jewelry and wallets, the perp turned and ran down the driveway to his car (with an accomplice waiting at the wheel). My father reached into his car, grabbed an empty whiskey bottle and threw it at the perp, who responded by shooting at my father. He missed.

My point is, if my father had been wearing a gun on his hip when he walked out of the restaurant that night, this never would have happened.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) - A Hampton man was robbed, pistol-whipped and carjacked in his own driveway by two men after coming home from work.

Gaak! Where are the syntax nazis when you need them? I thought the unemployment rate was high enough that we would not need to fear being robbed by people coming home from work. It's bad enough needing to fear robbers who waste their time loitering about.

My father and his wife were robbed at gunpoint in their driveway in a Portsmouth neighborhood (Briarwood Lane) about 20 years ago. In his case, if he'd been carrying a firearm on his body, it never would have happened. ....

Betty -

The mere presence of a handgun is not a talisman. Both situational awareness and the sure and certain willingness to use deadly force without question or hesitation must be added. If you cannot look yourself in the mirror and say you will shoot you may not yet be ready to carry a handgun for self-defense. It's also a Good Thing[SUP]TM,(C), SM[/SUP] to be able to quickly decide if circumstances meet the legal excuse/justification for doing so.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Gaak! Where are the syntax nazis when you need them? I thought the unemployment rate was high enough that we would not need to fear being robbed by people coming home from work. It's bad enough needing to fear robbers who waste their time loitering about.

Betty -

The mere presence of a handgun is not a talisman. Both situational awareness and the sure and certain willingness to use deadly force without question or hesitation must be added. If you cannot look yourself in the mirror and say you will shoot you may not yet be ready to carry a handgun for self-defense. It's also a Good Thing[SUP]TM,(C), SM[/SUP] to be able to quickly decide if circumstances meet the legal excuse/justification for doing so.

stay safe.

All very true but according to what she reported, her father would have been justified to fire on the perp the moment he began the robbery.

TFred

Hey Legislators!

THIS is why we need a TRUE Parking Lot Carry law!

How many tens of thousands of people are defenseless every day they return home from work, just like this guy was, but by NO CHOICE OF THEIR OWN!!?

These chicken robbers obviously stalked out this victim and caught him at his moment of vulnerability. WHY DO YOU CONTINUE to INSIST that so many of your constituents be unarmed victims as they return home from work each and every day, after earning money to pay the TAXES to fund your projects and agenda!?

It's TIME FOR ACTION!

TFred

Bohr

Think about president Obama. He was protected by Secret Service agents, 10000 soldiers and 4000 LE officers. He never has to be worry about being robbed by someone in his driveway. That is why he likes gun control.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My father and his wife were robbed at gunpoint in their driveway in a Portsmouth neighborhood (Briarwood Lane) about 20 years ago. In his case, if he'd been carrying a firearm on his body, it never would have happened.

Betty, Skidmark is absolutely right. The only way to be safe from dangerous people, is to be a more dangerous then they are.
The meek inherit nothing.

MKEgal

My across-the-street neighbor told me that he & his son were robbed at gunpoint in their garage one evening as they got out of the car.

Bohr said:
Think about president Obama. He was protected by Secret Service agents, 10000 soldiers and 4000 LE officers. He never has to be worry about being robbed by someone in his driveway. That is why he likes gun control.
a) this is off topic
b) your premise is flawed:
. . . he expanded right-to-carry to federal parks
. . . he is not personally protected by all those people
. . . even one of the DC cops assigned to protect him has threatened to shoot him (the cop was swiftly removed from the Presidential detail, reassigned to office work, & an investigation is being made)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My across-the-street neighbor told me that he & his son were robbed at gunpoint in their garage one evening as they got out of the car.

a) this is off topic
. . . even one of the DC cops assigned to protect him has threatened to shoot him (the cop was swiftly removed from the Presidential detail, reassigned to office work, & an investigation is being made)

Please don't let that Genie out of the bottle here. It won't look anything like Barbra Eden.:uhoh:

mobeewan

I had some crack head walk up my street one night. He followed me to my house when I drove up my street at 2 AM and I parked in front of my house. He offered to perform oral sex on me for as long as I wanted him to. I told him 2 times to get the F out of here while I was sitting in my truck with the door open and pointing up the street with my left hand. My right had was on my .45 ACP STI compact. I never showed him the hand gun or told him I had one, but he got the message and left.

WOD

Actually, the meek and defenseless do inherit the earth. Usually they end up in long trenches, buried where they fell, after being lined up and shot. The 20th Century wasn't all that civilized as people like to pretend, hopefully we can do better in this one.

wylde007

He did not. He signed a credit card bill and because there is no such thing as a line-item veto, he couldn't and still pass the stuff he wanted.
Obeyme isn't personally protected by the SS? What have you been sniffing?
Wrong. He "threatened" the first lady who, under federal law, has no expectation of the protections afforded the president.

Talk about your flawed premises.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Who's acting meekly? :)

Nobody said anybody was acting meekly. We were just exchanging choruses from our favorite songs.

You are still an unknown entity who seems to have come to the "gun community" fairly recently. Some of what you "need to know" will not be taught in any of the types of classes you say you are looking for, so we share the cultural knowledge in the hopes that you do not end up like some others who had not resolved the moral/philosophical question before they were confronted by a "situation". Sort of like when the big brother teaches the little sister to lean into the punch and strike at the target 6" behind the bully's nose.

Your father might have been willing, but he was niether ready nor able. Lots of folks are ready (carry all the time) and able (decent draw times and combat accuracy on the square range) but have never gone through the process of finding out if they are willing or not. Unless you are willing it is very possible that the BG will take your pistol away from you and either shoot you (if you are lucky) or use it to beat you about the head and shoulders.

stay safe.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member

a) this is off topic

I see they are still serving the cool-ade.

godspel-13

People think I am nuts because I mow my lawn with my revolver on my side. If you think about it, you are very vulnerable in your own yard because that your safe haven. And especially if you are using power tools, your hearing is impaired and you are paying attention to not cutting off an appendage (as you should) rather than someone who might be behind a tree or something.

Thanks for sharing the story. Great reminder of constitutional right's ability to defend ourselves with a handgun.

-Erik

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't really have a driveway, but you never know when one of the neighbors will be out of sorts.

log-bear.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
He's awful skinny, therefore HUNGRY. I hope you're feeding him well....

Yearling.
Momma just kicked him out of the house. He's the same one that bent my chain link fence up. He's liable to become a rug if he doesn't start minding his manners.:uhoh:

All the rest of the bears are in the Black Berry patches now and won't have anything to do with him.

This is a better look at him.

lunch-time.jpg