• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FPS Russia on CC vs. OC

stainless1911

Banned
I invited him here via facebook.

I love your videos. As far as open carry, I think you have some misconceptions, I OC daily, it doesn't scare people, I have been thanked by many, and it doesn't make you a target. In some situations, open carry is actually required by law. I would love for you to come to our forum and discuss this with some of the most experienced and well educated members of the firearms community. Open carry is very active in Michigan, and many of us would like to hear from you on the subject. You might learn something, or teach us something. If your local laws allow, maybe you should try it out for yourself. My screen name is as it is on youtube, stainless1911, hope to see you there.

SpringerXDacp

LOL If he doesn't OC, how would he know of any repercussions for doing so? How many OC'ers have been bashed in the head, their gun taken, and shot in the back of their head? A very clueless individual in regards to OC in my opinion. Where's Tex?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Guess I'm an a**hole .. eh...what can you do?

His vids are starting to get old though , he should mix it up with some different people ...

Do both is my motto

HKcarrier

Guess I'm an a**hole .. eh...what can you do?

His vids are starting to get old though , he should mix it up with some different people ...

Do both is my motto

+1... Adding OC to your repertoire gives you more flexibility... don't have to dress around your firearm... can carry in more places.... induces conversations about firearms and carry that you never would have had.... shows people it's ok for normal people to carry.... faster draw.... one handed draw... less chance of snags... deterrent value... etc...

FPS's video is pretty close minded.

The whole "you will get shot first" argument is such total BS, let alone that it's never happened, but wow... someone busts in, you blade strong side away from them... voila, they're not going to see your firearm.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I invited him here via facebook.

I love your videos. As far as open carry, I think you have some misconceptions, I OC daily, it doesn't scare people, I have been thanked by many, and it doesn't make you a target. In some situations, open carry is actually required by law. I would love for you to come to our forum and discuss this with some of the most experienced and well educated members of the firearms community. Open carry is very active in Michigan, and many of us would like to hear from you on the subject. You might learn something, or teach us something. If your local laws allow, maybe you should try it out for yourself. My screen name is as it is on youtube, stainless1911, hope to see you there.

it doesn't scare people? if he listens to your audio on the youtube screen name you gave him, he might think otherwise. don't you have a bunch of cops telling you you're scaring people?

SpringerXDacp

+1... Adding OC to your repertoire gives you more flexibility... don't have to dress around your firearm... can carry in more places.... induces conversations about firearms and carry that you never would have had.... shows people it's ok for normal people to carry.... faster draw.... one handed draw... less chance of snags... deterrent value... etc...

FPS's video is pretty close minded.

The whole "you will get shot first" argument is such total BS, let alone that it's never happened, but wow... someone busts in, you blade strong side away from them... voila, they're not going to see your firearm.

People have a tendency to fear what they don't understand. Instead of actually strapping on the gun and seeing for oneself what doesn't happen, it's easier to sit back and just parrot the irrational fears of clueless individuals. For the last 33 years I've had a fear of heights, but it's not for lack of understanding what it's like to hit the concrete below. One day, like the anti-OC'ers, I may overcome those fears but maybe not.

stainless1911

Banned
Im afraid of heights as well. I dont compare heights to OC, because with heights you can actually fall and get hurt. Also, the fear increases your likelihood of falling. A fear of OC wont increase your chances of getting shot. Unless it leaves you unarmed, then it does.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

A robber/thief does not a murderer make. Just because someone is willing to threaten violence to get theri $150 out of the till doesn't mean they will actually kill someone... if they were willing to just out and out kill someone why would they leave a live witness to the crime? They would just kill the clerk and everyone in the store... they don't because they're not murderers. They're party story robbers... BIIIIIIG difference.

They also know that the cops aren't going to hunt as hard for the quickie mart robber as they would for a murderer.

People who use that logic clearly aren't thinking things all the way through.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
A robber/thief does not a murderer make. Just because someone is willing to threaten violence to get theri $150 out of the till doesn't mean they will actually kill someone... if they were willing to just out and out kill someone why would they leave a live witness to the crime? They would just kill the clerk and everyone in the store... they don't because they're not murderers. They're party story robbers... BIIIIIIG difference.

They also know that the cops aren't going to hunt as hard for the quickie mart robber as they would for a murderer.

Me, personally, when faced with both types, I could not tell the difference. I'm going to have to assume they are carrying a gun for a reason, not for a conversation piece.

stainless1911

Banned

^ What ShadowBear said. I'll avoid it if I can, but if theres cause for an SD shooting, there prolly isn't the time to second guess the intentions of someone who has apparently already lost it.

HKcarrier

Me, personally, when faced with both types, I could not tell the difference. I'm going to have to assume they are carrying a gun for a reason, not for a conversation piece.

^ What ShadowBear said. I'll avoid it if I can, but if theres cause for an SD shooting, there prolly isn't the time to second guess the intentions of someone who has apparently already lost it.

You guys are missing my point.... I"m not talking about SD shooting someone with a gun... clearly the crooks are employing lethal force which can be met with lethal force... that's not my argument. My argument is against 'tards that talk about a guy busting in to the 7/11 while you're there and seeing your OCd piece and blasting you.... more likely, if they even see it, they're going to high tail it out of there.

I was just talking about some of FPS's points and how they don't make sense if people think them all the way through.

The guy robbing 7/11 isn't there to kill people and most likely won't... that is not to say that CCer/OCer shouldn't act if they are there... that is to say that people's argument that OC is bad because you'll get shot is largely invalid.

Last edited:

Bronson

I'm with HKcarrier. I tend to think of this as an odds game. I believe that most common criminals are not looking to commit murder and will avoid an obviously armed person and I believe research and common sense backs up that belief. I also freely admit that there are people in the world that will target me for my OCed handgun and "shoot me first" just to get me out of the way or steal my handgun, BUT the number of people in that category is tiny when compared to the number of common criminals.

So, for me, if an OCed handgun acts as a deterrent for *75% of criminals...meaning that I will not be targeted by that large majority, but acts as an enticement for 25% of criminals...meaning I would be targeted by a minority of criminals specifically because I had a visible pistol I see it as an overall benefit to OC.

I want to plan my self-defense strategies based on what I am most likely to encounter. And I am most likely to encounter a common criminal out looking for an easy score. It's the same reason I put the fire extinguisher in my kitchen near the stove instead of over the dishwasher. Could my dishwasher catch fire? Sure it could, but the chances of a fire starting in or on the stove are much higher.

*I doubt the actual numbers are anywhere near the 75/25 split.

Bronson