• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in resturant serving alcohol

seaweaver1

With permission is no problem right?
(sorry if already covered)
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

WalkingWolf

With permission is no problem right?
(sorry if already covered)
§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Note the "participating in the event".

seaweaver1

It is an Open Carry...event...???(sorry...left that out)

cw

Last edited:

seaweaver1

I'm waiting to hear back from the guys at NCGR.

The restaurant owner is very adamant that we come.

Seems this is allowing the owner some latitude to what happens on his property.

cw

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

cw

If it was not for that event part of the statute, any restaurant that does not post a gun buster sign is giving permission. It ultimately should be the choice of the property owner. Both the OCer and the property owners rights are being infringed.

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Bashing other gun rights groups

Last edited by a moderator:

seaweaver1

PV is anti OC? good to know. I sent the message to the lawyers...perhaps...
humm...he should sign up for the webinar!

Let me see if I can get an opinion from Newby or our Sheriff to be.
(I'm not signing a permission slip.)
cw

carolina guy

cw

Perhaps the owner of the restaurant should consider suspending alcohol sales during the OC event?? :)

seaweaver1

My lawyer friend in savannah concurs w/ my reading. That's 99% of the game...understanding the subtleties of the language of the law.
cw

ncwabbit

My lawyer friend in savannah concurs w/ my reading. That's 99% of the game...understanding the subtleties of the language of the law.
cw

oh ya, now i shall take that advice to the bank...

did your attorney miss the small print of 14-415.11(c2): quote It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.

wabbit

jrj_51

oh ya, now i shall take that advice to the bank...

did your attorney miss the small print of 14-415.11(c2): quote It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.

wabbit

And if it's an open carry event, "theyz aint concealing, neither."

trooper46

Slightly off topic, but the way I read this, it appears I can drink and carry on my own property, correct?

carolina guy

Sounds like it would be legal, but you should read my signature line.

I would go further and have something PRINTED announcing the event, and then get WRITTEN permission of the owner for each of the OCers. Although, I suppose blanket permission of the owner for all OCers would work too...if he wanted to enhance his business, he could have a regular OC event and give a discount for each armed participant. ;)

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I would go further and have something PRINTED announcing the event, and then get WRITTEN permission of the owner for each of the OCers. Although, I suppose blanket permission of the owner for all OCers would work too...if he wanted to enhance his business, he could have a regular OC event and give a discount for each armed participant. ;)

He could file a court case also that his rights to decide who he sells to is being infringed. And maybe the whole law can be trashed the right way. Seems with a pro gun property owner and the customers there would be chance of properly getting rid of this stupid law.

carolina guy

He could file a court case also that his rights to decide who he sells to is being infringed. And maybe the whole law can be trashed the right way. Seems with a pro gun property owner and the customers there would be chance of properly getting rid of this stupid law.

He might need a team of lawyers...a publicist and even a hair dresser to pull it off. ;)

Or...he could just give "permission" for all the OCers to sit, eat, drink and enjoy!

WalkingWolf

He might need a team of lawyers...a publicist and even a hair dresser to pull it off. ;)

Or...he could just give "permission" for all the OCers to sit, eat, drink and enjoy!

He can only give permission for an event, unless he hires everybody as security. I suspect that if he was to do this on a daily basis, he might start having problems with the local ABC board. This really needs to be challenged in court, and from both sides of the spectrum. The property owner and the patron.

carolina guy

He can only give permission for an event, unless he hires everybody as security. I suspect that if he was to do this on a daily basis, he might start having problems with the local ABC board. This really needs to be challenged in court, and from both sides of the spectrum. The property owner and the patron.

That's why I would start with something like "Firearm Friday's" or something like that...and then go for a "Firearms Week" every other week...or a "Firearms Month"...or a "Year of the Firearm" . I think as long as he defines it somewhat...what "business" is it of the ABC board?

WalkingWolf

That's why I would start with something like "Firearm Friday's" or something like that...and then go for a "Firearms Week" every other week...or a "Firearms Month"...or a "Year of the Firearm" . I think as long as he defines it somewhat...what "business" is it of the ABC board?

It would depend if the ABC board is anti. Not sure what reasons they can hold a license hostage.