• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else wearing uncle mikes?

spikedzombies

picked up my 2nd uncle mikes today. a Super Slide http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/super_belt_slide_holsters.html

I must admit ive been skeptical about finding a comfortable holster... 6'5ish and 475ish lbs..

but after wearing an uncle mikes http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/paddle_holsters.html which is decently comfortable.. this one actually its lighter, and has more padding and a little more give. Not to mention you can run it bull or straight up and down. It also has a tight fit to the body so it barely shows if you are in a non open carry situation.

ill rate it a 7/10 :cool:

now im trying to find a decent non molder paddle holster that will fit my sr9 properly.

69Charger

Yep. I have the Super Slider for a Smith Wesson 3914.
LIKES-- Light weight, comfortable, easy on the guns finish. Adjustable, over the trigger, strap. :)
NO LIKES-- MY gun feels top heavy. Seems to lean out away from my hip. (short barreled gun) A longer barreled gun may have the weight distribution lower into the holster and under the belt slots. Belt slots bunch together around my belt loop (does not stay flat against my hip) :(
OVERALL-- With it not snug to my body which makes it a bit more noticeable trying to CC under a T shirt, but seems comfortable, and works well in an Open Carry, I give it a 6 1/2 out of 10. Not bad for the price. :)
Nothing seems to be as good as a Quality LEATHER Holster. :)
Dave

spikedzombies

Yep. I have the Super Slider for a Smith Wesson 3914.
LIKES-- Light weight, comfortable, easy on the guns finish. Adjustable, over the trigger, strap. :)
NO LIKES-- MY gun feels top heavy. Seems to lean out away from my hip. (short barreled gun) A longer barreled gun may have the weight distribution lower into the holster and under the belt slots. Belt slots bunch together around my belt loop (does not stay flat against my hip) :(
OVERALL-- With it not snug to my body which makes it a bit more noticeable trying to CC under a T shirt, but seems comfortable, and works well in an Open Carry, I give it a 6 1/2 out of 10. Not bad for the price. :)
Nothing seems to be as good as a Quality LEATHER Holster. :)
Dave

ive found that if you put it on with it inside the belt between your belt and your pants it fits a lot more snug. If you put it where its on the outside of your belt it fits a little loose.

Just my opinion, but UM's one-size-fits-all marketing has left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't use their holster as a door stop.

Its not really a one size fits all..

merc460

I too do not like them. I have a IWB for my Taurus Judge PD and it just does not fit well. It wants to tilt to the side, feels like my firearm is going to fall out of it. I am on the hunt for a better holster.

.45ACPaddy

I used a shoulder holster for a Glock 22 I used to have, and it worked just fine for me. At the moment the only UM product I'm using is a double mag pouch, and it holds my extra mags just fine.

G20-IWB24/7

Perhaps the saying "you get what you pay for" is not any more-true than when purchasing a holster...

I've had good luck with Bladetech ($65ish) and Kramer ($130ish) for concealment rigs, and Blackhawk ($50) and Galco ($70ish) for OC rigs. I own a couple of Uncle Mikes that have come with gun trades from over the years, but I couldn't tell you what gun they'd be for, as I've never used them. Any holster of mine will allow for one handed reholstering. They're probably fine "until the one on order gets here," but I really wouldn't use one "full-time" by choice.

-G20

DEROS72

I use an uncle mikes for my Bersa as an ankle holster for back,seems ok for that purpose.

KBCraig

The only Uncle Mike's I use is a pocket holster for a small-frame revolver. It doesn't have to retain the gun, it just has to cover the trigger and keep most of the dust bunnies out and stay behind in my pocket when I draw, and it does that just fine.

Whether it's Uncle Mike's or some other manufacturer, generic holsters (made for a general size or class, instead of the specific gun being carried) might be fine for hunting or other field carry, where there's no pressure to draw. But I'd never carry a gun for defensive purposes in such a holster.

For starters, a holster that doesn't fit the gun precisely is usually uncomfortable -- nothing fatigues you more than a gun flopping around instead of being held tightly. And speaking of that: get a properly stiff belt!

I'm not a gear snob. Cheap doesn't bother me -- I recommend having a Fobus for every handgun you own, just in case you need to carry it. Proper function is what counts, and the Uncle Mike belt holsters generally don't cut it.

bobestes

Uncle Mikes Inside the Pants

Most of the time I'm wearing some form of sweats with just a draw string to hold them up. I tried an IWB with my Para Ordinance P-14, but it is so heavy that it tends to pull my pants down. The combination that seems to work the best for me is an Uncle Mikes IWB with my Llama .380. The Llama is basically a small M1911. Like the full size M1911 it has an inertial firing pin which allows it to be safely carried with the hammer down on a live round. Yes, I do have to occasionally adjust the holster, but it works for me.

amlevin

Just my opinion, but UM's one-size-fits-all marketing has left a bad taste in my mouth. I wouldn't use their holster as a door stop.

I wouldn't go quite that far even though UM's aren't high on my list of holsters. I find them useful for guns that have either few or no other holsters available. Most are lousy for either retention, access, or both but for the price they are great for that oddball handgun. Best one I ever had was a vertical carry shoulder holster that I used to carry my S&W 686 w/6" bbl. Made it easier to carry this pistol while riding my dirt bike on mountain trails.

daddy4count

I wore an uncle mikes once... quickly replaced it with leather.

Open or Concealed there is no substitute for that secured feeling you get from a really good holster.

The UM softside are one step above cowboy carry, IMO. I have owned them, but only used them for storage since they are soft and warm to snuggle in... the guns I mean.

I know people who swear by them, never spend more than $20 on a holster and it seems to work just fine for them.

I am not one of those people... ;)

Beretta92FSLady

I have a molded leather S&W Sigma holster that I holster my Beretta 92FS in. I have an OWB Crossbreed for my Beretta, but my sidearm fits just right in the Sigma leather.

I prefer all leather holsters.