• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police looking for me?

J.Gleason

Banned
Stand up for your rights! Tell them you are spreading the word and the store will be losing customers. Pickett outside the store to gain some media attention and negative coverage for the store.

Spartacus

Banned
Its doubtful that there is a warrant out for your arrest, so the cops just want to question you.

Let them find you if they can but don't sweat it. If you left the stores as requested without incident you did nothing wrong.

jimd_21

Since it is legal and nothing can be done to you. I would suggest contacting a few other oc'ers in your area and arrange a meet with the reporter and the police in a public location.

Also have your own vid cameras and voice recorders going to keep the reporter honest.

Last edited:

Shane28

I dont have money for a lawyer and I dont know what to do in experience in this kinda stuff would like if someone with more experience could talk on my behalf

Shane28

It would be a good oppunirty to inform citizens of there rights i just dont know how.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I wouldn't suggest speaking to the police but that is your call.

Even when you have done nothing wrong, it is advisable not to speak to the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

(edit)

I can assure you, if you DID have an attorney, they would tell you the same thing "don't speak to the police"

Open-Carry is legal. I know it, you know it, Channel 11 knows it and the police know it.

If they want to talk to you, there is no benefit to you. Be polite but decline to speak with them.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I can't seem to find an online source for ordinances in Pulaski.

No matter what, even if they have an ordinance against it, it is either an illegal ordinance or not enforceable (is that better Doug?).

Go to www.wisconsincarry.org and go to the 'legal' link. Print out the WI AG memo, read it, carry it with you.

Personally I would not go to the police. Depending on how comfortable you are, I would contact the reporter. If you do go to the police, bring a voice recorder and record it. It is legal to do so without telling the cops you are doing it.

Maybe someone with more experience is nearer to you?

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
also a few things to keep in mind. Its hard to say where this reporter got his information.

Its very possible someone told the reporter someone was OC'ing in the store, the reporter calls the store, they confirm it, reporter then calls police and police say "yeah we'll look into it" and there is nothing more to it other than the reporter coming back with a story saying "Police looking for a man who was OC'ing"

I wouldn't be surprised if the police aren't really "looking" at all other than that if they should happen to come upon him they may try to have a consensual conversation.

As I read this story, and thought about how media handle these things, it wouldn't surprise me in this case.

Around Milwaukee the news had the following M.O. on EVERY single story. Report an incident, robot call the police for what they are going to do, and try to contact those involved and then print the story in the most hyped up way possible.

"police looking for man with gun" grabs much more attention than "person lawfully OC'ing: police say "yeah, we'll check it out"

Last edited:

Ponch

Since when it it any of their damn business why you're carrying? What are the likely outcomes here?

Chance that talking to them will convince them of anything: zero.

Chance that talking to them will get you charged with something: not zero.​

I'd keep on OCing, since it's perfectly legal, but I absolutely would not contact the cops. When they sooner or later run into you and detain you, I wouldn't talk to them.

Spartacus

Banned
Since when it it any of their damn business why you're carrying? What are the likely outcomes here?

I'd keep on OCing, since it's perfectly legal, but I absolutely would not contact the cops. When they sooner or later run into you and detain you, I wouldn't talk to them.

I never said Contact Them. lol I said if they find him, talk to them firmly and politely and try to educate them.

If they arrest him they will regret it.

Motofixxer

I agree, no need to speak to the Police. I know of an instance where an 18yr old did a burnout in front of a business. He left but someone called the Police and through the grape vine he got a phone call from them. The officer said why don't you come to the station and talk to me. So he did. The officer listened to the story. Then cited him based on his confession!!! So I recommend to everybody don't talk to them if they are asking. But you could talk to the reporter. I would do it from a pay phone or something untraceable just to be sure. But make sure you record it.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
WOW..

I did some research today.

Here is an email sent from the Pulaski Chief of Police to the Pulaski Chamber of Commerce.

Gloria Morgan
Executive Director
Pulaski Area Chamber of Commerce
Phone: 920-822-XXXX
Cell: 920-655-XXXX
Email: pacc@netnet.net
Web: www.pulaskichamber.org

Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:27 PM
To: Thayse, Arlen
Subject: Open Carry

Yesterday we had an incident where a male adult wearing a holstered firearm attempted to do business at Vern’s Hardware. A customer alerted the employee and the individual was denied access to the business. We have since learned that the same day, prior to his attempt to go into Vern’s this same subject made a purchase at Pulaski-Chase Cooperative Ace Hardware Store. The subject walked on the bike trail directly to Vern’s according to witness reports. Unfortunately our officer was in Green Bay at the Crisis Center with another individual and was not in the Village at the time of the call. Unknown to us at the time, Brown County Sheriff’s Department decided not to send a squad to make contact with the individual because open carry is not against the law. Obviously the Supervisor that made that decision was in error and we can do nothing about that now. We still do not know the identity of this person. Vern’s Hardware has received two calls today from this individual complaining about being refused entry into the store.

Open carry is legal in the state of Wisconsin so long as the weapon is clearly visible, you are not a felon, and are not in a mental state of mind to do harm to yourself or others. Obviously the only way we can determine that is to talk to the individual and evaluate him. Businesses have the right to refuse business/ entry to anyone so long as it does not fall under the protected classifications, i.e. race, color, sex, age, religion, etc.. I advise business owners to place signs on your business doors prohibiting entry with a firearm. Call me if you have any questions.

Chief Dunford~

Confidentiality Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone.
This e-mail and any attachments have been scanned for malicious content. However, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Village of Pulaski accepts no liability for any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

So first guilty until proven innocent? The Pulaski police assume you are a felon or in a mental state to do harm to yourself and others UNTIL they can "evaluate" you?

Thats wrong on so many levels

Second, the police chief is ADVISING local businesses to deny entry to law-abiding customers?

Look Chief Dunford. Let them know its legal. Leave your personal "advice" out of your professional obligation.

I'd say its time to get involved here.

Last edited: