• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in South Pittsburg/Kimball, TN

Neo

Campaign Veteran
97 views and no replies?! Is no one here from Marion county or is there a separate TN OC forum? We've got to get more members!

Oh Shoot

No experience in that area, but open carry is legal throughout the entire state with TN permit or reciprocal one, so what else is there to know, except where you can't carry period?

- OS

Last edited:

Kingfish

The lack of reply may be telling also. Assuming you have searched and come across no negative encounters then it could be assumed that you are good to go (as you are most anywhere in TN.)

Neo

Campaign Veteran
The issue is, of course, pre-1986 laws in certain locales in TN that were allowed to remain (e.g. in Belle Meade) after the TN shall-issue legislation went into effect. I don't want to walk into a town and immediately get arrested because I didn't know they were the exception rather than the rule.

No experience in that area, but open carry is legal throughout the entire state with TN permit or reciprocal one, so what else is there to know, except where you can't carry period?

- OS

Kingfish

The issue is, of course, pre-1986 laws in certain locales in TN that were allowed to remain (e.g. in Belle Meade) after the TN shall-issue legislation went into effect. I don't want to walk into a town and immediately get arrested because I didn't know they were the exception rather than the rule.

There are no known localities that are enforcing these archaic ordinances.

If one is worried about it.
1) Stay home
2) Fight to have the law changed

HvyMtl

If one is concerned about a possible old law / ordinances which could bite your butt, the best answer is to go to the locality's website, and ask to see a list of their laws / ordinances.

FYI: The so called "Belle Meade Law" was not being enforced, and was practically forgotten, until someone brought it to their attention in a very public fashion. It was removed, once attention was brought to the law, as it was in direct conflict of the superior state law...

Go read the Tennessee Law. (google tennessee code) or go here:
http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.htm

And here for any reciprocity clarification:
http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

Here is what the pre-1986 stuff is about: (source: michie.com)
39-17-1314. Local regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted by state regulation — Actions against firearms or ammunition manufacturers, trade associations or dealers. —

(a) Except as provided in § 39-17-1311(d), which allows counties and municipalities to prohibit the possession of handguns while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, no city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition or components of firearms or combinations thereof; provided, that this section shall be prospective only and shall not affect the validity of any ordinance or resolution lawfully enacted before April 8, 1986. (emphasis added.)

Again, most localities did NOT have any laws /ordinances which impacted carry. And, if they did have, generally, they are not enforced. Again, if worried check with the specific municipality...

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
If one is concerned about a possible old law / ordinances which could bite your butt, the best answer is to go to the locality's website, and ask to see a list of their laws / ordinances.

FYI: The so called "Belle Meade Law" was not being enforced, and was practically forgotten, until someone brought it to their attention in a very public fashion. It was removed, once attention was brought to the law, as it was in direct conflict of the superior state law...

Again, most localities did NOT have any laws /ordinances which impacted carry. And, if they did have, generally, they are not enforced. Again, if worried check with the specific municipality...

Don't give bad advice! Laws are laws. The Second Amendment is well over 200 years old. Old laws may be enforced as seen fit. Just because someone says a law isn't enforced does not mean that they will not decide to enforce said law on you.

You state that the law was in direct conflict with State law. It was not. The Belle Meade law stood and was in no conflict with any State law. TCA 39-17-1314(a) clearly states laws in effect before April 8, 1986 are valid.

Belle Meade no longer has any gun laws as of October 1, 2010. You're welcome.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
....The Belle Meade law stood and was in no conflict with any State law. TCA 39-17-1314(a) clearly states laws in effect before April 8, 1986 are valid....

That's the kind of thing that concerns me. However, I will report that I OC-ed at the Cracker Barrel in Kimball and at the Goody's there without so much as a glance from most passers-by. No LEO encounters to report, though.

...Belle Meade no longer has any gun laws as of October 1, 2010. You're welcome.

I don't live in TN, but I do visit there frequently. So, thanks, kwikrnu. By the way, I have friends in Brentwood. Are you aware of pre-1986 ordinances there?

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't live in TN, but I do visit there frequently. So, thanks, kwikrnu. By the way, I have friends in Brentwood. Are you aware of pre-1986 ordinances there?

Brentwood law is unconstitutional it was passed in 1992 and completely bans the carry of handguns.

HvyMtl

Again, Neo, the best thing to do is look up the ordinance online, via the town or village website and / or call the town.

Brentwood, I have had no issues, but I have not attempted to carry in posted, or known areas not allowed, such as their public library, or their parks.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12774&stateId=42&stateName=Tennessee

See if a search brings anything up. If not and you really want to make sure you are covered, which I think is wise, email, or call the city attorney.

https://brentwood-tn.org/index.aspx?page=90

Do brush up on the State Code. Remember the Ghostbuster/Gunbuster signs on any door are now valid (under law) blocks to you carrying into the posted building.