• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobby Day 3/15 - Empty Holster Rally in Raleigh!!!

Dreamer

The director of SCCC for NC contacted me today to ask if we could drum up some support and interest for the upcoming "Lobby Day" at the State Capitol on Tuesday (15 March). GRNC is planning meetings with as many reps as they can to try and get support for a Campus Carry bill in this legislative session, and they would like to get as many "boots on the ground" as they can.

If VCDL can field a few hundred for their Lobby Days, we should be able to get a few dozen at least... ;)

The plan is to converge on the State House at 8:30am on Tuesday morning, and meet up with the GRNC people to work out last-minute logistics, and then to meet with several Reps to discuss our support for a Campus Carry bill.

We'd also like to put together an "Empty Holster Rally" outside the State House at the same time, so for those of you who don't feel up to the task of speaking directly with State Reps, you can show your support by helping out with the Rally.

Let's show our elected officials that the People of NC want Campus Carry. Letters, emails and phone calls are great, but face-to-face meetings and "people in the street" make a MUCH more lasting impression with our legislators.

Contact me by PM if you are interested. Thanks!

Dreamer

Just a footnote, if you're planning to park on the Capitol Grounds, please be advised that you can't have your firearm with you, per NCGS 14-269.4
NCGS § 14-269.4 Weapons on State property and in courthouses

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess, or carry, whether openly or concealed, any deadly weapon, not used solely for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes in the State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and in any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. If a court is housed in a building containing nonpublic uses in addition to the court, then this prohibition shall apply only to that portion of the building used for court purposes while the building is being used for court purposes.
Violation of this statute carries a Class I Misdemeanor charge.

Time to research alternative, PRIVATE parking lots and garages near the Capitol...

Dreamer

GRNC is putting this together--they just asked us to "beat the bushes" for people...

I'll contact Paul and David and see if they have.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

I can't make it. I have class from 9:30 to 15:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I really wish I could be there.

chiefjason

Great idea, no way I could get there though. But would this help? See upper case. They generally allow locking a gun in a car, with the exception of educational property.

14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, EXCEPT NOTHING IN THIS SUBSECTION SHALL PROHIBIT A PERSON FROM STORING A FIREARM WITHIN A MOTOR VEHICLE WHILE THE VEHICLE IS ON THESE GROUNDS OR AREAS. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-409.40.html

I don't remember a lot of public parking lots in that area. Mostly timed on the street. But I was always trying to park a 40' delivery truck, so that may be why.

Dreamer

ChiefJason,

14‑409.40 only applies to counties and cities. The State gives itself specific exemption from "uniformity" in 14-269.4, which explicitly restricts firearms in the buildings and on the grounds of the Capitol...

I was referring to any parking lots that may be actually part of the Capitol Complex, and therefore falling under the State Capitol Property restrictions. I've never been to the Capitol here in NC, but I assume it must have some sort of parking lots attached to the Capitol like most other States have...

However, street parking should be OK, because that is "public property", not part of the "Capitol Grounds". But then again, IANAL

Anyway, I'll be looking for on-street parking or a private, secure parking lot for my vehicle...

BTW, I will be bringing "elixin77" with me, but it looks like most of the other ECU-SCCC members have classes they can't skip on that day...

Now I just have to decide which holster I want to wear. Should I wear my spiffy Galco SSS in shiny black leather, or my Coyote Tan Serpa with the "I Voted" sticker on it from last election?... Decisions, decisions... ;)

Last edited:

Dreamer

You don't need permits to speak to your congress critters. Not sure about the empty holster rally.

I think the "permit" question was aimed at the "empty holster rally" idea...

Technically, the US Constitution says that such an event can't be regulated (require a permit), and is EXPRESSLY and clearly protected under the 1st Amendment, but the State and the municipality of Raleigh see things differently... :banghead:

JDriver1.8t

GRNC (Paul) and I tried to set up a rally for SCCC a couple years ago.
They require permits to rally on the gov property, and they are a bit of a headache to get. Not difficult, just lots of 'running' around via calls and forms and people.

Dreamer

The proper permit application had been filed, and I know this, because I'm the one who ended up signing and filing it...

We willll know by Monday afternoon if they approve it. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Dreamer

I just received confirmation from the Chief of Police of the North Carolina General Assembly that our application for a permit to assemble has been approved. We have the time slot from 8:30am - 10:30 am, in the "permit area" in front of the State Legislative Building.

Look for us--we'll be there wearing SCCC t-shirts and empty holsters...

elixin77

Dreamer and I are waking up at the butt crack of dawn to leave G-ville to attend. I don't know how awake I'll be, but I'll get as much caffeine shoved down my throat as possible so I'm not a zombie, lol.

farkles

I just received confirmation from the Chief of Police of the North Carolina General Assembly that our application for a permit to assemble has been approved. We have the time slot from 8:30am - 10:30 am, in the "permit area" in front of the State Legislative Building.

Look for us--we'll be there wearing SCCC t-shirts and empty holsters...

Correction,

Dreamer contacted me separately and made a good point.

We will be dressed up business casual to look more professional (come as you are if you are uncomfortable dressing up)....

The one (okay, just one of the) problem we have with this bill is that many people have their stereotypical college student that is irresponsible, always drunk or on drugs, and cannot be trusted with a firearm. Lets try our best to prove them wrong by looking nice, being sober (just for these two hours at least! : ' ) ), acting professionally and being patient

But YES to empty holsters...bring them...in fact WHY NOT DO OC meetup for lunch afterwards somewhere else?

Last edited:

Dreamer

An OC Lunch sounds like a GREAT idea, but finding a good restaurant in downtown Raleigh that DOESN'T serve alcohol might be tough.

They can't enact HB 111 a minute too soon, in my opinion...

Last edited:

sultan62

Five Guys is ten minutes from there.

4120 Main at North Hills Street, Raleigh, NC 27609-5753 (Five Guys Burgers & Fries)

glockaholic

I'm definitely planning on attending. Also posted on Triangle Open Carry for cross-promotion:

http://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Open-Carry/events/16889049/

Suggestions for OC lunch afterwards: Chick-fil-a on Fayetteville Street, Subway on Western, or Arby's on Hillsborough. (The McDonald's on Western is iffy since I'm still not clear on whether the property is owned by NCSU or not.)

The nicer restaurants downtown all serve alcohol.

ABNinfantryman

I would, but I doubt my SGM would let me skip work for a rally, otherwise I'd bring around ten soldiers who'd support the bill. We'll see though, Raleigh's only a couple of hours away, we might be able to get over there.