• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dumb Question #10M

SFCRetired

I carry most of the time, but I also have occasion to go places where my weapon is not welcome (my church is one). I am in the habit of securing my weapon in my car on those occasions.

Here in Alabama, in the summer, cars get very hot inside. I know that this causes deterioration of the ammo over time, but has anyone ever heard of it getting so hot inside a closed car that the ammunition detonated?

I've tried searching for this, but I'm not the most computer-literate old man running around.

j4l

Funny you mention this,Top. Was half-wondering about it today when I came to work.
Had to leave my .45 secured in my vehicle-but @ 7am was already getting hot out.
Wondered if maybe I should chance smuggling it in,and securing it in my desk,just in case..(supposed to approach high 90's here today)in the end I just left some of the windows upen a tiny bit...

eye95

I carry most of the time, but I also have occasion to go places where my weapon is not welcome (my church is one). I am in the habit of securing my weapon in my car on those occasions.

Here in Alabama, in the summer, cars get very hot inside. I know that this causes deterioration of the ammo over time, but has anyone ever heard of it getting so hot inside a closed car that the ammunition detonated?

I've tried searching for this, but I'm not the most computer-literate old man running around.

The Mythbusters tested ammo in an oven. At about 500 degrees (IIRC) the ammo went off. Those kinds of temperatures won't occur in a car in Death Valley at High Noon on a summer day with the heater going.

VW_Factor

The Mythbusters tested ammo in an oven. At about 500 degrees (IIRC) the ammo went off. Those kinds of temperatures won't occur in a car in Death Valley at High Noon on a summer day with the heater going.

You certainly wouldn't want to be in the sun down there tho. :shocker:

Daylen

I'm more worried about temperature swings ruining the ammo over time.

j4l

Im not sure it would effect the ammo-temp swings,that is- unless a lot of humidity were at play.

SFCRetired

Im not sure it would effect the ammo-temp swings,that is- unless a lot of humidity were at play.

After Desert Storm, I talked to several EOD guys I knew. They said that extreme heat (over 110/120 degrees) would cause most ammunition to become more sensitive. Keep in mind that they were concerned more with larger ordnance than small arms ammo. I also remember that they were more talking about items left in direct sunlight.

Glad to hear that it would take at least 500 degrees to set it off as that eases my mind a little.

Thanks to all; I knew someone here had an answer.

j4l

After Desert Storm, I talked to several EOD guys I knew. They said that extreme heat (over 110/120 degrees) would cause most ammunition to become more sensitive. Keep in mind that they were concerned more with larger ordnance than small arms ammo. I also remember that they were more talking about items left in direct sunlight.

Glad to hear that it would take at least 500 degrees to set it off as that eases my mind a little.

Thanks to all; I knew someone here had an answer.

Hooah, Top. Good day to ya.