• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Cranky old man"

Edward Peruta

The following article was sent to me by Casey Doutel, the wife of the "CRANKY OLD MAN" Duane Doutel who was arrested for Threatening in the Second Degree back in February.

Casey Doutel can now say, "TAKE MY CRANKY OLD MAN AND HIS GUNS BUT LEAVE MINE RIGHT BY THE BED".

My thanks to The Advocate and Win Vitkowsky for running this article:

http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/news/blogs/drive-by-media/nh-cranky-old-man-vs-crooked-doctor-20110808,0,5857659.story?track=rss

Here is a link to another article done by Win Vitkowsky

www.hartfordadvocate.com/news/blogs/drive-by-media/nh-gun-owner-i-didnt-breach-the-peace-20110803,0,4350200.story

Cranky Old Man Vs. Crooked Doctor
Norwalk Police Arrest Cranky Old Man

Win Vitkowsky
12:00 a.m. EDT, August 8, 2011

A Westport-based physician with a history of scamming insurance companies and his angry middle aged patient got into an argument. The police were eventually called. Guess which one got hauled off in handcuffs.

It was the patient, Duane Doutel, who wound up in the back of a Norwalk police car. Doutel had left an angry message on his doctor’s answering machine asking him to forward the results of his pre-operation physical to the surgeon. Dr. Igal Staw called the police and played them the message, but told the police Doutel had also “brandished a gun” at his office.
Doutel is a conservative gun enthusiast who often wears his politics on his baseball cap. He also wears a gun under his shirt practically everywhere he goes. That’s legal, because he has a permit to carry the pistol. In February, Doutel was arrested for “harassment” and his guns and his wife’s guns were taken by the Norwalk police department. Two weeks ago, Doutel’s wife filed a lawsuit against Norwalk police for unlawfully taking her guns.

Doutel says he has been doing that ever since the Cheshire home invasion in 2007 made him aware of how vulnerable an unarmed family could be. He says the doctor had seen his gun many times and never asked him to leave it in the car during his visits.

The verbal argument between doctor and patient came to a head a week before Doutel was scheduled to have surgery. Doutel paid for a pre-operation check up in cash because his doctor told him there was a tiny snag with the insurance company that was getting straightened out in court. But Dr. Staw in fact knew he wasn’t accepting insurance, ever. That’s because in 2007 Staw plead guilty to defrauding Medicare and Medicaid out of $171,225. He got to keep his practice, but was dumped by private insurance companies.

After paying in cash for his pre-op physical, Doutel received a strange call about his blood work. Doutel googled his Staw, and found out about his doctor’s conviction. He promptly fired his doctor and asked the results of his test get forwarded to the surgeon.

Days went by and Doutel’s results never showed up at the surgeon’s office, despite repeated requests from the surgeon. When Doutel was informed that his surgery might have to be canceled if the results didn’t arrive he left a strongly worded voicemail on Staw’s machine.

The next day the Norwalk police showed up to Doutel’s apartment, handcuffed him, and confiscated his guns and his wife’s guns. Doutel was released on $2,500 bond.
Click on the link to listen to the message Doutel left for Dr. Igal Staw.

LISTEN HERE
Voicemail courtesy of Ed Peruta.

Last edited:

DDoutel

I think (and hope) the cranky old man will be having a cranky old party with his settlement check.

Heheh! First my wife's check, then mine...! We must stop these unaccountable authorities, from LEO's acting under color of law to judges and prosecutors flying fast and loose with the law. The only way to do that is to sue, sue, sue! We've never been the litigious type, but it's time to stand up and be counted.

Last edited:

KIX

Definitely need to buy some shiny new guns so you can say.... "see what ya bought me, thanks for the trade in".

This case in INSANE. Complete lack of rational thought on the defendants.

Good luck Doutel!

Jonathan

DDoutel

Definitely need to buy some shiny new guns so you can say.... "see what ya bought me, thanks for the trade in".

This case in INSANE. Complete lack of rational thought on the defendants.

Good luck Doutel!

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan; it is discouraging to see the institutions we all grew up trusting to do the right thing being used to maliciously toy with a citizen for no other reason than that they can. I honestly believe that this has gone so far for no other reason than that the prosecutor is a vicious halfwit who enjoys toying with people's lives as a cat plays with a mouse. All you have to do is watch how she rolls her eyes and clicks her tongue at Rachel, as though the whole thing is a supreme inconvenience for her that would all just go away if the defendant would just do what she wants him to do; not because he's guilty of anything, but it's what she thinks he ought to do. In other words, he should have been a good little boy and taken the AR! How dare he stand on the facts and assert his innocence??

I'm a guy who grew up with friends whose fathers were Irish L.A.P.D. cops, and I always respected them for the honest way in which they went about doing a tough job. The real tragedy here is that I will henceforth always view LEO's with suspicion and skepticism; I'll never give them the benefit of the doubt again. They can't be trusted to uphold the law they're abusing themselves.

KIX

I hear ya on the court bit, and am glad you didn't go the AR route.

The case Ed and I have been talking about regarding open carry being legal in CT from the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners was an example of a guy that really didn't need the AR process. If he should ever need it for anything in the future for anything, he blew it. All because of poorly trained law enforcement.

Regarding how you see them now, I've been in that boat for years. It's not bashing like some would say here in the forums. When you have been blatantly mistreated by those who think their authority gives them supreme power, it taints our views of law enforcement across the board. Some don't want to recognize that, others do (especially after that Canton, OH bit).

Thanx for the comments on the site. This is a similar example. I went through a process that took the better part of a year to get my permit. The site is a result of me wanting to help others that are dealing with the mini "fiefdoms" along the way. They stoked the fire, and after a couple years, I'm not giving up by a long shot.

Good luck and keep up the good fight. Cases like this can truly be game changers here in the state. The only way to make change is hit them back where it hurts, financially.

Jonathan