• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting list for concealed weapons permits grows in Maine

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association

I applied for a permit in Maine, planning for a vacation there in April. I called last week and asked the status. They had not even started processing my application, and they had had it for over a month. They told me it would be another 90 days minimum. I told them to send my check and application back. I am changing my vacation plans to Washington State, where my Oklahoma permit is honored through reciprocity.

Let's see... they get $60 per application. Process them timely, and you get more money. Hire more help. Not difficult to figure out. Or how about this? Honor other state's permits, and your number of non-resident permit applications will decrease.

boyscout399

I applied for a permit in Maine, planning for a vacation there in April. I called last week and asked the status. They had not even started processing my application, and they had had it for over a month. They told me it would be another 90 days minimum. I told them to send my check and application back. I am changing my vacation plans to Washington State, where my Oklahoma permit is honored through reciprocity.

Let's see... they get $60 per application. Process them timely, and you get more money. Hire more help. Not difficult to figure out. Or how about this? Honor other state's permits, and your number of non-resident permit applications will decrease.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. We really need to get some legislation passed that puts some teeth and penalties for not complying with the 30/60 day rule. Your permit lawfully should have been approved within 60 days for an out of state resident.

MainelyGlock

I can't believe how many home invasions I've read about in the news the last few months. I was talking to a man from Baldwin today who said he knew the family who's house was robbed by thieves posing as federal agents. No wonder everyone wants a gun/concealed carry permit...That's some sketchy stuff right there.

Maine CWP Training

No need for a permit in the home however we have had 60 people in the last 45 days sign up for NRA certified courses from the region.

MainelyGlock

No need for a permit in the home however we have had 60 people in the last 45 days sign up for NRA certified courses from the region.

Of course none needed for the home, but it's all relative. Me personally, I don't just want to buy a gun and keep it in the house. I could be attacked (again) from anywhere that's not my house just as well. That must be good for business though! I enjoyed the class I took a month or so back. Very informative.

Flashlight

Other than waiting for legislation to maybe come through to take care of this, is there anything that can be done? Lawsuit (I know money) or any other means to force the law enforcers to enforce this law?

MainelyGlock

A lawsuit would likely drag on for years. Is that worth the extra wait time? Either that or the judge sympathizes with the defendants because they cite budget cuts, lack of resources, etc, for the delay, and throws it out altogether.

randian

Or how about this? Honor other state's permits, and your number of non-resident permit applications will decrease.
Of those states that honor out of state permits, Maine's list does appear to be the smallest. New Mexico is making a big push to match, though.

hermannr

Stop by if you are in the Highlands Okiebryan. Lots of good hiking and fishing. You won't be hasseled for OC either...:)