• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TSA mission creep making the US a police state, past patdowns, checkpoints and roadbl

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Why does it take foreign tabloids to sound the tocsin? Oh, damn the lamestream media, curse the sainted anchors.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/apr/18/tsa-mission-creep-us-police-state
Jennifer Abel said:
Ever since 2010, when the Transportation Security Administration started requiring that travelers in American airports submit to sexually intrusive gropings based on the apparent anti-terrorism principle that "If we can't feel your nipples, they must be a bomb", the agency's craven apologists have shouted down all constitutional or human rights objections with the mantra "If you don't like it, don't fly!"

This callous disregard for travelers' rights merely paraphrases the words of Homeland Security director Janet Napolitano, who shares, with the president, ultimate responsibility for all TSA travesties since 2009. In November 2010, with the groping policy only a few weeks old, Napolitano dismissed complaints by saying "people [who] want to travel by some other means" have that right. (In other words: if you don't like it, don't fly.)

But now TSA is invading travel by other means, too. No surprise, really: as soon as she established groping in airports, Napolitano expressed her desire to expand TSA jurisdiction over all forms of mass transit. In the past year, TSA's snakelike VIPR (Visual Intermodal Prevention and Response) teams have been slithering into more and more bus and train stations – and even running checkpoints on highways – never in response to actual threats, but apparently more in an attempt to live up to the inspirational motto displayed at the TSA's air marshal training center since the agency's inception: "Dominate. Intimidate. Control."

Resto Guy

Some of us think of those in Great Britain as being complacent about government intrusion. The comments following the story surprised me. They basically wonder why we are putting up with this.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Some of us think of those in Great Britain as being complacent about government intrusion. The comments following the story surprised me. They basically wonder why we are putting up with this.

Well, we're up in arms about what Haz has gone through down under. I don't see it as being complacency on the part of U.S. Citizens. Congress gets 45,000 e-mails a week for a REASON: We're ticked off!

The major problem is that Congress isn't DOING anything in response.

I say we vote 'em ALL out and start over.

DrakeZ07

Well, we're up in arms about what Haz has gone through down under. I don't see it as being complacency on the part of U.S. Citizens. Congress gets 45,000 e-mails a week for a REASON: We're ticked off!

The major problem is that Congress isn't DOING anything in response.

I say we vote 'em ALL out and start over.

I sincerely loathe that sort of term/reponse; "Lets vote them all out and start over". Who do we replace them with? their opponents who will say anything, and everything oppisite of the incumbent, make promises, and the such, just to get into office, and then sit there, ignoring emails reminding them of their campaign promises. Democrat, or Republican, no matter who you, or I vote for, there will still be a majority of either side intermingled in the Congress who will say and do one thing to earn our votes, but then placate to the tune their former seat-holders danced to.

We cannot simply "vote them out" because the person to run against them, will be exactly like them, in all but the name of their political party.

We cannot simply "start over" because of what I said about voting them out.

Consider the people who are honest, true-to-their-word people like Rep. Ron Paul, or his son Sen. Rand Paul, are the small minority of electable people for state, and federal houses.