• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I 594 & looking ahead

Whitney

It may be too soon with lots of aggravation to go around but wanted to suggest some food for thought going forward.

Once a law it is unlikely 594 will be overturned and as previously suggested the best way to get rid of it is enforcement. This is a double edged sword if law enforcement does not subscribe to the law. The legislature can not touch this for two years without a 2/3 vote, so that provides some time to get them "educated"

The jury box is more likely to have the desired effect but it requires individuals to engage in the judical process and subsequently use jury nullification to change the law. Two page brief attached regarding victimless crimes or "political crimes".

<Snippet from FIJA.org>

If you are called for Jury Duty

Don't worry! Be happy! Look at jury service as an opportunity to "do good" for yourself and others. It's your chance to help the justice system deliver justice, which is absolutely essential to a free society.

Also, you can do more "political good" as a juror than in practically any other way as a citizen: your vote on the verdict is also a measure of public opinion on the law itself--an opinion which our lawmakers are likely to take seriously. Short of being elected to office yourself, you may never otherwise have a more powerful impact on the rules we live by than you will as a trial juror.

~Whitney

davidmcbeth

Banned
The pdf should go more into detail to counter judges' instructions that they cannot nullify. Because they can tell jurists that ... even though its not true.

The Truth

I really hate to parrot someone such as Primus, but I would love to see shirt pocket hidden video of you doing half the things you say you do. If you do so in a manner I deem acceptable, I would personally procure your transportation to the Old Dominion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I really hate to parrot someone such as Primus, but I would love to see shirt pocket hidden video of you doing half the things you say you do. If you do so in a manner I deem acceptable, I would personally procure your transportation to the Old Dominion.

I rarely video record but do audio record. I offer to send proof all the time...most proof cannot be attached on this site so I do this through PM and email. I send out proof to members occasionally...just did so last week.

Dave_pro2a

It may be too soon with lots of aggravation to go around but wanted to suggest some food for thought going forward.

Once a law it is unlikely 594 will be overturned and as previously suggested the best way to get rid of it is enforcement. This is a double edged sword if law enforcement does not subscribe to the law. The legislature can not touch this for two years without a 2/3 vote, so that provides some time to get them "educated"

The jury box is more likely to have the desired effect but it requires individuals to engage in the judical process and subsequently use jury nullification to change the law. Two page brief attached regarding victimless crimes or "political crimes".

<Snippet from FIJA.org>

If you are called for Jury Duty

Don't worry! Be happy! Look at jury service as an opportunity to "do good" for yourself and others. It's your chance to help the justice system deliver justice, which is absolutely essential to a free society.

Also, you can do more "political good" as a juror than in practically any other way as a citizen: your vote on the verdict is also a measure of public opinion on the law itself--an opinion which our lawmakers are likely to take seriously. Short of being elected to office yourself, you may never otherwise have a more powerful impact on the rules we live by than you will as a trial juror.

~Whitney

So.... willing to lie in order to get in the Jury box?

Because unless you agree to not judge the law, then they ain't gonna let you sit.

Whitney

Depends on what the definition of is is.

So.... willing to lie in order to get in the Jury box?

Because unless you agree to not judge the law, then they ain't gonna let you sit.

Specifically the answer to your question is no. I would like to relate a quick story though.

Kitsap county had two district court candidates in the last election. I emailed both prospective judges the following question.
"I'm working on my ballot and want to know where you stand on the philosophy of jury nullification.
Specifically judges explaining to jurors they cannot be required to check their conscience at the courthouse door."

One called me back at home and had a 30 minute conversation with me regading jury nullification. Sometimes what is not said rings louder than what is actually said.

Not all Judges agree on "judging the law", and yet I agree with your assertation.

I am pretty open minded and value your opinion, what other means do we have to get there?

~Whitney

Dave_pro2a

They let me sit .... and I don't listen to any judge when I'm a jurist...

idk about your experience, but I was threatened with contempt and then kicked out ;)

Judges hate it when a jurist quotes case law, proving they just lied when giving their instructions.

King courts might be diff than Kitsap though.

Last edited: