• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jblm cc

J1MB0B

From their website: "All privately owned weapons being brought onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord property are also required to be registered." (emphasis added)

Remember, SPs conduct random vehicle searches from time to time at the gate. If they find a locked safe, they will have you open it. If they find an unregistered weapon, there will be trouble. Better to just speak to your commander, register the weapon, and stay on the straight & narrow. They will probably want your weapon stored in the armory while you're in billeting, but that policy might vary from base to base.

We don't have SPs on Lewis. We have MPs and McChord has SFs(security forces not special forces). Just sayin.

To be "on the straight and narrow" and fill out your form truthfully and honestly, you would register the weapons and check "off post", which would be true because you live off post and you do store your guns in your house right?

Why would your commander want you to bring your guns to the arms room? Is he gonna make everyone in your unit bring their guns every drill weekend?

Even if you do get searched, you will have properly registered weapons and the correct paperwork to show the guards, nobody told you to bring unregistered weapons on post.

oldkim

Point of clarification.

The registering of a firearm doesn't mean you can carry it. It just allows you to bring it onto post for recreational purposes (eg shooting range or hunting).

The idea that one can check their firearm into an "armory" is a joke. If you have never been in the military... Do not recommend this process.

Permission from your commanding officer and they have limited hours depending on the unit. If not active duty does your unit even have an armory?

So be warned its not recommended to bring a personal self defense firearm onto base. Better to find a local service member in your unit and leave it at their place off post.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Here you go, Chief. Took all of 5 seconds.
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-22/justice/fort.lewis.shooting_1_shot-clothing-fort-lewis?_s=PM:CRIME

Here's another taste.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/24/99591/soldier-admits-double-murder-at.html

There was another shooting in the fall of 2010. I can't find any articles. The report we were given was a soldier on North Fort had a gun in the barracks and was threatening other soldiers. The MP's showed up, he pointed the weapon at them and they shot him.

Those two articles took me less than a minute to dig up.

Let's not forget about these guys just because it was off post and they didn't actually fire a shot.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9189

Thanks for the links, so it went from multiple to 2 shootings on base, still 2 to many.

decklin

Last I checked multiple meant more than one.
There are others that if you checked I'm sure you could find.
Do you realize that in the time it took you to call me a liar you easily could have checked for yourself.
I did not quote a case study or some obscure reference. I brought up incidents that were on the local and national news. My wife, who did not know me at the time of one of those shootings, was fully aware of the incident involving the woman dissolving bodies in a bathtub. Within a couple hours of the PX shooting my family called me. My family lives all over the country. New England, Nevada, Oregon, Georgia, Florida. So you're telling me that people living some 3,000+ miles away are more aware of what is happening in WA than you?
I'm sure many people on here knew exactly what I was refering too. It is not my responsibility to cite everything I post, especially when it is public knowledge.

DamonK

I agree with Decklin. If something is common knowledge, don't demand a cite. Correcting your ignorance is not our responsibility. While I hate the fact that I can't carry while on base, I do understand it. On base you have an abundance of young adults that generally speaking already have an aggressive aspect to their personality. Then we train them in Basic Training to act on that aggression. Couple that with the extremely high rate of mental trauma that soldier in combat go through and I can see why they don't want folks walking around with guns here. But this is not a normal environment, and Military leadership has always been know for being heavy-handed.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.
As with many on this forum when making such a statement adds a reference instead of spewing out unfounded claims.
When one refers to multiple is referring to many not one, a couple or a few, your statement of "multiple shootings" implies several or numerous or an abundance.
Your statement was in support of "no tolerance for infractions" and in reality the couple of shootings you cite likely has to do with a no tolerance in violation of regulations.

I asked you to prove otherwise you choose to use the word Liar, if I thought you were I would have called you just that, mistaken or error in conveying your thoughts would likely be a little closer.

To respond to the OP question about checking his firearms on drill weekends is to contact your command staff, for someone wanting to be an officer is missing the concept of the chain of command.

J1MB0B

I hate not being able to carry on post. Its just like all the other stupid ass gun laws, if some dude is aggressive, or has mental issues from combat, his chain of command should address his issues, not ban everyone from carrying. If he wants to bring a gun on post and shoot someone he will do just that. A regulation telling him not to will not stop him at that point. All it will do is prevent the people that can control their aggression and that are mentally stable from defending ourselves when he shows up at someplace on post and starts shooting people.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Unfortunately this has been with the military for a very long time and doubtful we will see any change in our life time.

I would hate to see anyone else harmed because of the restriction commanders have put in place, I feel is to protect them.

decklin

As with many on this forum when making such a statement adds a reference instead of spewing out unfounded claims.
When one refers to multiple is referring to many not one, a couple or a few, your statement of "multiple shootings" implies several or numerous or an abundance.
Your statement was in support of "no tolerance for infractions" and in reality the couple of shootings you cite likely has to do with a no tolerance in violation of regulations.

I asked you to prove otherwise you choose to use the word Liar, if I thought you were I would have called you just that, mistaken or error in conveying your thoughts would likely be a little closer.

To respond to the OP question about checking his firearms on drill weekends is to contact your command staff, for someone wanting to be an officer is missing the concept of the chain of command.

From the meriam-Webster dictionary.
http://i.word.com/idictionary/multiple

Main Entry: 1mul·ti·ple
Pronunciation: \ˈməl-tə-pəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French, from Latin multiplex, from multi- + -plex -fold — more at -fold
Date: 1647
1 : consisting of, including, or involving more than one <multiple births>

Guess what? No tolerance for infractions and no tolerance for violations of regulations means the same thing. Good job trying to be right by rewording what I said.

You called bs on something I said. In what world does that not mean the same thing as calling me a liar?

Now you're going to start on the OP? Wow.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
decklin it is easy to find different variations of "multiple" and below is the more common one that is used.
mul·ti·ple Adjective
1. consisting of, having, or involving several or many individuals, parts, elements, relations, etc.;