• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

MyWifeSaidYes

In the list of things that can get a state excluded...

1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
2. No fingerprint-based background check;
3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
4. Permits issued to resident aliens;
5. No classroom (static) training required;
6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

...only #1 is different from Ohio. We have our county Sheriff's take applications and issue the STATE Concealed Handgun License.

The information is put into a STATE maintained database (LEADS) with statewide access to all LEA's.

How and why should that affect reciprocity?

Last edited:

Roy V

Is Hubbard a "mini" RAHM EMANUEL? If so, watch out NM.

I sure hope not - I unfortunately live in IL and we have absolutely nothing other than proposed bills to tax existing guns, tax ammo and all sorts of other crazy things.

Roy

CDinNM

Last edited:

AH.74

The rest of the country should not have to adjust to our more stringent requirements. WE should be adjusting to the rest of the country's standards. There is a movement towards constitutional carry in other states. That is what we should be striving for, not this draconian anti-gun direction.

NM is the ONLY state I know of which requires re-certification every two years, two years ahead of renewal. Just because no other state does that, does not give NM justification to reject everyone else's standards. That is the height of hypocrisy.

elebuttfish

It seems like NM is trying to avoid out of staters from CC in NM. I just hope it does not get any worse for residents of NM. NM has what , about 15,000 permits and here in Washington we have , I think, 350,000 at last count, up from 240,000 a year ago.

CDinNM

@AH.74 - I agree with what you have pointed out. I think Constitutional Carry IS the way ALL 50 states need to go. We def need a 50-state reciprosity agreement, and if CONgress can't get it done, then maybe the States themselves ought to give it their best attention to get it done. I am not too enthrawled about that 2 year re-visit to the range AND then another set of fingerprints to boot. I've had the same fingerprints for 60 years . .

Like I said, we ALL need to be raising the roof with out State reps and also seek some strong support from the govs office as well. Our legislators could easily come up with a quickie MORATORIUM BILL that would extend time for all this to be straightened out, they have done that in several other instances where other states have been involved in other things. I know many of our legislators work on bills and so forth for the summer, but I think they can also do some things at any time.

Mr. Hubbard may be new to his position, power gone to his head, or have his own agenda or responding to pressures from others, as I see it, maybe he might find he overstepped his bounds, maybe he should have persued a few opinions from head of our State before implementing this the way he did. Regardless, we ALL need to get involved and add some pressure from our side of this rediculous action.

CD

attrapereves

NM has always been against out-of-state permits. I remember a FAQ that was asking "Can I carry in NM with a non-resident permit?" The answer was something along the lines of "Yes, but that soon may change."

The problem I have with getting a NM permit is that you must take a class after two years. I also dislike the fact that you are limited to only carry the largest caliber you tested with. Also, I don't understand why they need an official birth certificate. No other state has this requirement.

Chief1297

I guess I should feel special being from NC and being accepted by NM but somehow I dont. I lived there for 3 years and have no reason to go back. I do think that the rest of the states should revoke any agreement they have with NM including those states that have constitutional carry. But then again I think all the NE states that have tolls on the interstates should have to pay to go through NC just like we have to do going through theirs.

AH.74

The problem I have with getting a NM permit is that you must take a class after two years. I also dislike the fact that you are limited to only carry the largest caliber you tested with. Also, I don't understand why they need an official birth certificate. No other state has this requirement.

Trust me, you are not the only one to feel that way about these points.

oldbanger

...only #1 is different from Ohio. We have our county Sheriff's take applications and issue the STATE Concealed Handgun License...

and:- #4. Permits issued to resident aliens;

(a) The applicant is legally living in the United States, has been a resident of this state for at least forty-five days, and has been a resident of the county in which the person seeks the license or a county adjacent to the county in which the person seeks the license for at least thirty days. For purposes of division (D)(1)(a) of this section:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125

Last edited:

attrapereves

I guess I should feel special being from NC and being accepted by NM but somehow I dont. I lived there for 3 years and have no reason to go back. I do think that the rest of the states should revoke any agreement they have with NM including those states that have constitutional carry. But then again I think all the NE states that have tolls on the interstates should have to pay to go through NC just like we have to do going through theirs.

I'm originally from NC too. I thought about moving out to NM for graduate school, but decided on Missouri instead. What did you not like about NM?

AH.74

MORONS!

They've changed the information AGAIN! What is wrong with these idiots!?

Just copied from the site:

As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

castiel

MORONS!

They've changed the information AGAIN! What is wrong with these idiots!?

Just copied from the site:

As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

Their "audit"!? Seems to me they were trying to quietly make all these changes but they had to back down after everyone noticed and started making calls.

CDinNM

They are claiming that the FRIDAY LIST was just the results of the audit, that NO actions had been taken to change any of the reciprosity with other states so far. I guess we are now back to being mushrooms, the bs is going to get deep to cover up what actually took place. i wonder how long William Hubbard will have his position???

BobF

They are claiming that the FRIDAY LIST was just the results of the audit, that NO actions had been taken to change any of the reciprosity with other states so far. I guess we are now back to being mushrooms, the bs is going to get deep to cover up what actually took place. i wonder how long William Hubbard will have his position???

I wonder too. He said in one e-mail to me that I was"busting his chops" in his exact words. That does not seem to be the words for an official of a state government use to somebody inquiring about his reciprocity changes. It was not my intent to "bust his chops" in any manner. Bob.

RogueWarrior

I wonder too. He said in one e-mail to me that I was"busting his chops" in his exact words. That does not seem to be the words for an official of a state government use to somebody inquiring about his reciprocity changes. It was not my intent to "bust his chops" in any manner. Bob.

Bob you should forward his email to the governor so she can see what type of people she has working for her

AH.74

That is pure BS. Word got to other states and they actually changed their policies because of this.

It's either incompetence, or they underestimated the effect the internet would have, even in this day, in addition to the size and "connectedness" of the national ccw/firearm community.

I have also been wondering if this has all been some form of political posturing and planned to happen like this. I wouldn't put anything past anyone at this point.

In any event they look like fools.