• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Carry Legislative Alert - SB 234 Stalled in Committee

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Oh, I didn't see that one. Ok, we're screwed.
Who do we talk to get it removed from Judiciary's discretion and skipped to Rules, like 517 got skipped out of Agriculture & Natural Resources?

*Edit*:
Or is there any chance of 517 passing house floor and being sent through completely different senate committees that will actaully get it through in time?
Yeah... nvm...

Senator Haridopolos is the Senate President, that's why he is included on the email.

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Senators Haridopolos is the Senate President, that's why he is included on the email.

Ok, I thought he had deciding power over what committees a bill went to. I asked in my letter to him if he could remove it from Judiciary's discretion as 517 was removed from A/NR in the house. Of course no actual reply, only automated.

77zach

I called Hammer, she doesn't think it's stalled, says it's going along so IDK.

Marion Hammer? I guess she would know. I'm still thrilled/shocked that the NRA is supporting this bill, but looking at my calendar time seems of the essence. Let's assume it gets heard on the 11th, I doubt it would immediately get scheduled in rules for the following week. That leaves the last week.

Kingfish

I'm still thrilled/shocked that the NRA is supporting this bill
90 (b) A person licensed under this section shall not be
91 prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for
92 lawful purposes.

If it was just OC, I don't think they would be much help. Parking lot storage is one of their big things.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
Marion Hammer? I guess she would know. I'm still thrilled/shocked that the NRA is supporting this bill, but looking at my calendar time seems of the essence. Let's assume it gets heard on the 11th, I doubt it would immediately get scheduled in rules for the following week. That leaves the last week.

I hear ya, good a reason as any to push it.

77zach

90 (b) A person licensed under this section shall not be
91 prohibited from carrying or storing a firearm in a vehicle for
92 lawful purposes.

If it was just OC, I don't think they would be much help. Parking lot storage is one of their big things.

True, but she did give a very good defense of OC in the House Judiciary, she also slammed "law enforcement" for being against our rights. +1 for her.

nigmalg

True, but she did give a very good defense of OC in the House Judiciary, she also slammed "law enforcement" for being against our rights. +1 for her.

I'm confused about Hammers response. According to what I gathered, Flores was so-so about it. How can she be so sure it's not stalled? Are you sure you guys were talking about SB234?

77zach

I'm confused about Hammers response. According to what I gathered, Flores was so-so about it. How can she be so sure it's not stalled? Are you sure you guys were talking about SB234?

Somebody tell Flores that Castro doesn't allow OC back in Cuba.

esavinon51

Re: Sponsor the bill to restore open carry in florida

On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:31 AM, FLORES.ANITERE.WEB wrote:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your support for the Florida Open Carry Movement.

I am supportive of the Florida Open Carry Movement. However, due to bill filing limits, I will not be able to sponsor the legislation this year.

Thank you for your interest in the legislative process. I encourage you to remain active in it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Anitere Flores
State Senator
District 38, Miami-Dade County

esavinon51

Thought i share some email i received from Senator Flores.

Dear Mr. Savinon,

While I am generally supportive of gun rights, bills have a tendency of being amended throughout the committee process, and I want to make sure that the final bills maintain an appropriate balance of rights and common sense. Please be sure that as these bills come before in committee or on the floor, I will take the time to thoroughly review them. I will keep your concerns in mind as this bill moves through the process. I appreciate your input.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Always feel free to contact my office if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Anitere Flores
State Senator
District 38

77zach

On Dec 10, 2010, at 11:31 AM, FLORES.ANITERE.WEB wrote:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding your support for the Florida Open Carry Movement.

I am supportive of the Florida Open Carry Movement. However, due to bill filing limits, I will not be able to sponsor the legislation this year.

Thank you for your interest in the legislative process. I encourage you to remain active in it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Anitere Flores
State Senator
District 38, Miami-Dade County

That makes me feel better.

77zach

Thought i share some email i received from Senator Flores.

Dear Mr. Savinon,

While I am generally supportive of gun rights, bills have a tendency of being amended throughout the committee process, and I want to make sure that the final bills maintain an appropriate balance of rights and common sense. Please be sure that as these bills come before in committee or on the floor, I will take the time to thoroughly review them. I will keep your concerns in mind as this bill moves through the process. I appreciate your input.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Always feel free to contact my office if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,
Anitere Flores
State Senator
District 38

This is something Sarah Brady would say.

~*'Phoenix'*~

...and I want to make sure that the final bills maintain an appropriate balance of rights and common sense.

Was this received before or after the other, more pro-OC letter?

'Cause this part sounds like it should make a dictator blush in shame s/he didn't think of it first...

77zach

It does?

Maybe I don't have this straight then...isn't this the person in charge of scheduling?

He/She already shelved this once then yes?

I don't know man. In reality she's probably passively against it and it will die in that committee. She's young and probably thinks that there are much more important issues to attend to, such as increasing the size and scope of the state, and routing out liberty wherever a vestige may be found.