• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2012 Legislation - Several bills are Anti-Gun

Dogbait

From Oregon Firearms Foundation(OFF): http://oregonfirearms.org/2012/2012 bills.html

Here we go...... :banghead: :banghead:

SB 1550 BANS FIREARMS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
Eliminates affirmative defense exempting concealed handgun licensees from crime applicable to possession of firearm or other instrument used as dangerous weapon, while on school grounds.

SB 1551 BANS CHL HOLDERS FROM PUBLIC BUILDINGS
Eliminates affirmative defense exempting concealed handgun licensees from crime applicable to possession of firearm or other instrument used as dangerous weapon, while in public building or on grounds adjacent to public building.

Both bills are sponsored by Senator Ginny Burdick(of portland, surprise surprise) and contain this statement,
This 2012 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2012 Act takes effect
on its passage.

Obviously, people are dying left and right because we are allowed to carry for self-defense. :banghead:

HB 4045 CHL PRIVACY
Authorizes person applying for concealed handgun license to limit ability of public body to dis- close records or information that identifies person as applicant for, or holder of, concealed handgun license.

HB 4054
Prohibits Public Employees’ Benefit Board from authorizing or requiring collection of informa- tion or maintenance of records about firearms from eligible employee or family member.

SB 1572 PROHIBITS SECRET AMENDMENTS
Requires name of member or committee of Legislative Assembly requesting set of proposed amendments to legislative measure to be identified on proposed amendments. Allows additional sponsors to be listed. (Not a "gun" bill but important legislation to stop the games being played by committee chairs like Floyd Prozanski.)

SB 1574 (Prozanski''s charade) A supposed "reciprocity bill"
Directs Department of State Police to identify states that recognize Oregon concealed handgun licenses and that impose eligibility requirements for issuing concealed handgun licenses that are substantially similar to Oregon requirements.
Provides nonresidents who are licensed to carry concealed handgun in state identified by De- partment of State Police with defenses provided to persons with Oregon concealed handgun license. Prohibits arrest of nonresidents who possess valid concealed handgun license issued in state whose license is verifiable through use of national law enforcement data system.

Last edited:

randian

This is a fraud. "Prohibits arrest of nonresidents who possess valid concealed handgun license issued in state whose license is verifiable through use of national law enforcement data system" So far as I know, there is no national system to verify concealed carry licenses, therefore this section doesn't prohibit anything. You must call the state in question to verify it.

Jared

This is a fraud. "Prohibits arrest of nonresidents who possess valid concealed handgun license issued in state whose license is verifiable through use of national law enforcement data system" So far as I know, there is no national system to verify concealed carry licenses, therefore this section doesn't prohibit anything. You must call the state in question to verify it.

It's not a fraud. Many states have the ability for a carry license to be verified 24/7 by law enforcement authorities. Utah was one of the first states to have this ability. Rhode Island (Attorney General Licenses only) can be verified 24/7. The Michigan State Police have a phone number so licenses can be verified 24/7. Florida CWFL have this ability as well as Pennsylvania, their licenses are issued locally; however, the state police have a database of all the permits.

The bills language is referring to the ability for law enforcement nationwide to be able to verify a permit's validity.

randian

It's not a fraud. Many states have the ability for a carry license to be verified 24/7 by law enforcement authorities. Utah was one of the first states to have this ability. The bills language is referring to the ability for law enforcement nationwide to be able to verify a permit's validity.
I suggest you read this again, very carefully. "Prohibits arrest of nonresidents who possess valid concealed handgun license issued in state whose license is verifiable through use of national law enforcement data system". This language does not prohibit arrest of a nonresident whose license was verified through use of a state law enforcement data system, such as the one you mentioned in Utah. It only prohibits arrest if the license was verifiable through a national data system, but no such system exists. Ergo, this language does not prohibit arrest of anybody. Trying to pass this off as a pro-gun bill is therefore, as I said, fraudulent (in the moral, not criminal, sense).

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Find your reps: http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/

I sent my representatives the following email, feel free to use it if you'd like.

Please support HB 4054, HB 4045, and SB 1572. These bills are necessary to protect individuals exercising a natural right from being discriminated against.

Please do not support SB 1550 and SB 1551. Both of these bills will make the public less safe by prohibiting individuals that have passed an extensive background check from carrying firearms from schools and other public buildings. Disagree? Please see Harvard's Journal of Law and Public Policy's paper on the topic: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

bigtoe416

Anybody planning on attending the committee hearing? It's at 1pm, Feb. 8, in hearing room 343 in the Capitol. Has anybody ever open carried in the Capitol? Any words of wisdom?

Dogbait

Anybody planning on attending the committee hearing? It's at 1pm, Feb. 8, in hearing room 343 in the Capitol. Has anybody ever open carried in the Capitol? Any words of wisdom?

I was debating on attending, I have class in the evening but I should be able to get back in time.... I believe they have a security screening but I guess you just show them your permit.

Edit: sending you a PM bigtoe

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Prozanski just announced that no gun legislation will be allowed to make it through the 2012 legislative session. So these bills are essentially moot at this point. I'll try to post video of the committee hearing if I am successful in capturing it.

Dogbait

Thanks for posting the video for others to see. I was at the capitol for the hearing but the guard outside the room mentioned it was full and redirected me to a viewing area on the 2nd floor. :uhoh:

Ceasefire Oregon was present, which didn't surprise me, and their testimonies were a big joke. They still want to ban all guns, no matter what. :banghead:

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll draft up a testimony time line for the video so it's easier for everyone to find each testimony.

OFF Article: http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/2012 alerts/02.08.12 alert.html

Last edited: