• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are your opinions on the taurus 1911's?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Do you have a Rock Island?
I DO own one and I DO own a PT1191 still. The PT1911 is in 9mm, fun for the range. The RIA is .45ACP for carry. I bought it used, nice tight fit, feeds FMJ and JHP flawlessley. No issues. I did some research before buying both. The Taurus guns had mixed reviews, but I dismissed them as trolls. All I had from then on was what I FELT was crap quality from taurus (though they do honor their warranty). I cannot find any bad reviews on the RIA 1911 and it's performance reflects why.

There is a reason so many people 'from the internet' are split on taurus. Lots of people get GREAT quality guns from them! and Lots of people get CRAP quality guns from them!

There is a reason that the RIA has hardly any complaints (I can't find serious complaints, but because I'm sure someone out there has complained at one point in their life, we'll say hardly). Lots of people get GREAT quality guns from them! and not many (if any?) get CRAP quality guns form them!

You dropped the F bomb on their forum.
gasp

Last edited:

aktion

When I am ready to buy another 1911, I won't buy a Taurus. I have a short list of manufacturers I will refer to for 1911s, and Taurus isn't on it, or for any other type of handgun. Any category of handgun has plenty of quality manufacturers to choose from, so I am not compelled to consider one with such a spotty reputation. You could do worse, no doubt; but you could do much better. The difference of a couple hundred bucks for the purchase price of a handgun is, in my opinion, overstated. I'm not wealthy by any strech, but a well-maintained quality firearm will outlive me. In that context, the purchase price is just scratching the surface of the investment that firearm will become. That is, unless it's going to just sit in a safe or nightstand for the majority of it's life.

'You get what you pay for.' The exceptions to that statement prove the rule. Apparently RIA makes a fine 1911 for much less than other brands. That is an exception to the rule. If you want a quality, combat oriented 1911 made in the USA (my own qualifier), you will have to pay for it. I understand RIA products are made overseas (Taurus as well), and disqualifies it from consideration for me. With so many quality options made in the USA, I see no reason to look elsewhere.

I make high quality beer at work. There's a tremendous selection of quality beer made in other countries and states available here in Washington. But if you buy locally made beer, then I can spend your hard earned money on an American made firearm. Thanks in advance!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
While I do not have the 1911, I do have a Taurus. I just want to jump in and say lifetime warranty on the gun.

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy.cfm

I bought mine semi-used and a pin was loose. Sent in in to Taurus and promptly received it fixed and cleaned.

Taurus does have a lifetime warranty that lives with that gun forever. I've sent a couple guns NIB back to them for repairs. (Yes, they come broken 'new')

I cannot tell you about Sig, Glock, Ruger or Rock Island Armory's warranty or service - I've never had to use it.

VW_Factor

Talking about RIA 1911's. How is the trigger feel on them compared to a Springfield or some such? Are their triggers replaceable with other 1911 parts as well?

I ask because that was the only thing keeping me from a RIA 1911. Was that the triggers on some other 1911s just felt better.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Talking about RIA 1911's. How is the trigger feel on them compared to a Springfield or some such? Are their triggers replaceable with other 1911 parts as well?

I ask because that was the only thing keeping me from a RIA 1911. Was that the triggers on some other 1911s just felt better.

Don't quote me on this! But I am PRETTY SURE that RIA is MIL spec, so I don't think you'll have any problems replacing parts. I love the trigger on mine, it's not a gun to take to the word championships of champion shooters to beat all champions, but that trigger is great for self defense and target shooting. At least with my experience it is. I think it's pretty clean. My last PT1911 I had (i made the mistake of buying a few) felt like there was a wad of chewing gum lodged behind the trigger. (this is not an exaggeration) O_O

Trigger Dr

The RIA are Mil spec and parts are interchangeable. However, most will require some fitting, regardless of what make they are going into. My Rock is a GI model that I have added different sights, beavertail grip safety, combat hammer. The factory trigger breaks cleanly at 4.5 # with little pre travel and quick reset. Did I mention that they are accurate?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
However, most will require some fitting, regardless of what make they are going into.

This always gets me about 1911s. We have handguns out now that carry 3x as much, parts ARE interchangeable, no fitting, accurate and all that, but we still are drawn to this 100 year old gun. Why? Why do we do it?

I get into a 1911 phase and carry it for a while. Then I go wtf am I doing, romanticizing with the past. I need to take defense of my family seriously. Then I strap up the glock for a month, and a month later I fall in love with the single stack all over again.

Eeyore

In my experience, you face this decision: for about the same amount of money....

you could buy a Taurus PT1911 and get a lot of "features" but maybe have some quality problems (fit & finish, burrs on the internals, etc.), or....

you could by a Remington R1 or Ruger SR1911, which will have a lot fewer bells & whistles (i.e. closer to the G.I version) but probably will have fewer issues than the Taurus.

You'll have to decide on your priorities yourself.

None of the manufacturers named above offer anything but the 5" barrel, so if you want a Commander-length or shorter, you need to look elsewhere (Kimber, Colt, etc.)

MPGSr

Taurus

Just a note about Taurus the company. I bought an 856, 38 revolver, 2" barrel. I put maybe 200 rds thru it, at just about 1 1/2's old it just stopped firing, everything looked ok but nada. Sent it back to Taurus and they ended up sending me a brand new gun no questions. So overall I am happy.

Trigger Dr

In my experience, you face this decision: for about the same amount of money....You'll have to decide on your priorities yourself.

None of the manufacturers named above offer anything but the 5" barrel, so if you want a Commander-length or shorter, you need to look elsewhere (Kimber, Colt, etc.)

You are mistaken here. The Rock Island, Citadel, Armscor guns ALL are available as 5", 4" or 3" platform. This is my 5" RIA, and my 3" Citadel. Both are very accurate and rotate in my EDC.

003-6.jpg

amlevin

This always gets me about 1911s. We have handguns out now that carry 3x as much, parts ARE interchangeable, no fitting, accurate and all that, but we still are drawn to this 100 year old gun. Why? Why do we do it?

You can ask the same question motorcycles. There are lots that are far quieter, have great performance and more comfortable to ride but you can't convince the "Harley Cult". Ditto the "1911 Cult".

I guess I have the same problem. I've got several real nice modern firearms but my favorite "shooter" is a rifle that was designed 9 years before the first 1911, a 1903 Springfield. I must be sick, preferring to shoot this old bolt action, 5 round capacity, 30-06 than any of my AR's that don't kick near as much;) Maybe it's the fact that this rifle/caliber is kind of like the "Crescent Wrench" of rifles. Able to shoot bullets weighing from 110 grains to over 220 grains it handles everything from Ground Hogs to Elephants. Certainly anything that runs around near here.

kemo

My wife just bought me a Taurus 1911 in 38 super. I just shot it yesterday and I thought it was very smooth and absolutely the most accurate pistol I have shot. It shot inch and a half group at 25 yds. So I must have a good one.

DangerClose

IMO, there are at least two Taurus guns that have a good/very good/excellent/insert adjective here track record: 1911 and PT92.

I don't remember if my brother said his is the most accurate handgun he's ever fired, but if that wasn't quite what he said, it was something to that effect. He loves his 1911s, and he loves that one. He got it for $450 new in mid-2010, I think.

My wife just bought me a Taurus 1911 in 38 super. I just shot it yesterday and I thought it was very smooth and absolutely the most accurate pistol I have shot.

Yep, sounds familiar.

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I bought a NIB Taurus PT1911AL (alloy frame) .45 ACP early last year for $539.00 OTD and have been immensely satisfied with it.

I had never owned a 1911 pistol prior to acquiring this one, and was amazed at the smoothness of the SA trigger, the lighter weight of the alloy frame, and the absolutely superb accuracy of this fine pistol. It feels and shoots as if it were an extension of my arm...wherever I aim it and squeeze the trigger, that's where the bullet impacts. It comes with a built in security lock and two keys, along with two magazines.

I've had great experience with Taurus handguns, having bought my first one (a model 85 .38 Special revolver) in 1991 for my wife as her nightstand gun. Last year, my 87-year-old father expressed to me that he was going to buy a .38 for concealed carry; and I had enough confidence in the 20-yr.-old revolver that I gave it to him, along with a Fobus paddle holster to carry during his outings into the community.

All in all, I've owned 13 Taurus handguns, and all have been trouble free, with the exception of a little TCP PT738 .380 pocket pistol, which the slide began locking back on after each shot after I had owned it for about 16 months. I contacted Taurus warranty service and they requested that I ship the pistol to their service center in Florida. Eventually, they sent me a free replacement pistol. Having a lifetime warranty is a pretty good deal, as far as I'm concerned. I wish every product I bought carried a lifetime warranty.

So, I will, without reservation, highly recommend the Taurus PT1911 to you.

113pt1911algrayslantupw.jpg
120pt1911al.jpg